1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

OK - In the last few pages I've read that the cape is likely a proto and could change, the boots are likely protos and could be improved and the head sculpt could/will be tweaked.

If this is the case then how much different will the in-hand piece be to the proto?

This will be my first Hot Toys figure so I'm not sure what to expect. From what I've read in this thread it sounds like there is still a lot of work and changes goes into the figure after the proto pics are revealed.

If Pre-Order numbers are down, or up, will it dictate possible changes/improvements made to a figure.

ie. Low Pre-Order Sales - Market not interested so leave figure as is and move on OR market not buying so need to improve aspects of the figure.

High Pre-Order Sales - People happy with proto so no changes/leave AS-IS.

On previous releases, how much did they change from the proto?

The Tony Stark head's expression on IM BD was changed.

I love the figure, love the sculpt, love the accuracy and am definitely nabbing one or two for myself, but I'm not going to lie... these changes are sensational. So subtle, but quite remarkable.
It's made an already fantastic piece, literally flawless.
I'm sure most won't admit, but I think 99% of folks would prefer if the figure turned up like the right picture. Not to say it's even possible, it HAS to be changed or they won't buy it in hindsight, but you can't argue that it's not a beautiful rendering. And who knows... HT is renowned for tweaking their work.

246758_203084089733803_162643873777825_517712_2018656_n.jpg

Thread was going good now its back to the silly photochop comparison.

I'm a bit late to the party on this one I think! :p But what else is there to talk about? It's the same with every figure, we all know it. And these are discussion threads :)

What's wrong with skipping over a post and continuing your own conversation? :dunno It's amazing what the human mind is capable of if you give it a chance.

Has anyone tried photoshopping a better likeness over the original sculpt, that would be cool to see.

I can see that is more accurate blakus939 but then things could always be more accurate and this is still a rocking likeness.

IF they decided to tweak it then, I cannot see the neck or eye sisze changing as that would be too difficult to correct on the putty. But the cheek bones and mouth could be done I think.

But even so, I am still stoked by this figure so it's much of a muchness to me!

Just as bad (but not AS bad) are the kids who think Brandon Routh is what Superman should look like. That suit was garbage.

Actually, I've never really been a big fan of Reeve's suit... the belt, the short cape with the yellow logo, the boots... they never really worked too well for me, even when I was a kid and saw it in the theaters.
I'd never seen whathisnose Cain dude, and now I wish I hadn't, that looks horrible IMHO.
But I do like Routh's costume. Looks modern and infinitely better than a blue (or teal) spandex suit.
I like Reeve's Superman more for the nostalgia and for how iconic the role became.

It was Superman for its time and it is a timeless classic now, but yeah, pretty simple.

Sometimes the simplicity of an outfit allows us to realize the effectiveness of the Actor playing the Character. :)

OK - In the last few pages I've read that the cape is likely a proto and could change, the boots are likely protos and could be improved and the head sculpt could/will be tweaked.

If this is the case then how much different will the in-hand piece be to the proto?

This will be my first Hot Toys figure so I'm not sure what to expect. From what I've read in this thread it sounds like there is still a lot of work and changes goes into the figure after the proto pics are revealed.

If Pre-Order numbers are down, or up, will it dictate possible changes/improvements made to a figure.

ie. Low Pre-Order Sales - Market not interested so leave figure as is and move on OR market not buying so need to improve aspects of the figure.

High Pre-Order Sales - People happy with proto so no changes/leave AS-IS.

On previous releases, how much did they change from the proto?

We have no idea what will be changed if any from proto to release.

You should head on over to all the other threads with figures that just got release to find out how different a release figure is to proto.

Great example would be the Ghostrider thread where HT did resculpt the flaming skull head from proto.

Actually, I've never really been a big fan of Reeve's suit... the belt, the short cape with the yellow logo, the boots... they never really worked too well for me, even when I was a kid and saw it in the theaters.
I'd never seen whathisnose Cain dude, and now I wish I hadn't, that looks horrible IMHO.
But I do like Routh's costume. Looks modern and infinitely better than a blue (or teal) spandex suit.
I like Reeve's Superman more for the nostalgia and for how iconic the role became.

The thing is, Christopher Reeve's suit is very close to the outfit design that Superman has worn in the comics for the majority of his history. The exact shades of red, blue and yellow are not even that far off from the comics (which is debateable depending on which comic coloring you refer to). In fact, when it comes to live-action interpretations of any costumed superhero, I dare say, Reeve's look was the most comic-accurate, before or since....ever.

Even with Dean Cain's outfit with its deeper blue satin look, you could tell the producers were not straying far from the comic design (in the 90's post-Doomsday/death/return, Superman's comic outfit did become a deeper shade of blue)

As for the Brandon Routh costume, it looks like a scuba suit. I never understood the need for the high neckline and the speedo-like swim trunks. The cape and boots are so dark that they are maroon. Thousands of tiny "S" sheilds all over (conterfeit protection?) And overall the thing is too plasticky/rubbery looking. Why does Superman need that much protection? Out of every live action incarnation of Superman, I feel the people behind SR made the most deliberate effort to put their own stamp on the character design. In itself, that's not a bad thing as the costume has subtly evolved anyway, I just think they made too many changes at once.

I love the figure, love the sculpt, love the accuracy and am definitely nabbing one or two for myself, but I'm not going to lie... these changes are sensational. So subtle, but quite remarkable.
It's made an already fantastic piece, literally flawless.
I'm sure most won't admit, but I think 99% of folks would prefer if the figure turned up like the right picture. Not to say it's even possible, it HAS to be changed or they won't buy it in hindsight, but you can't argue that it's not a beautiful rendering. And who knows... HT is renowned for tweaking their work.

246758_203084089733803_162643873777825_517712_2018656_n.jpg

Agreed. :lecture

The thing is, Christopher Reeve's suit is very close to the outfit design that Superman has worn in the comics for the majority of his history. The exact shades of red, blue and yellow are not even that far off from the comics (which is debateable depending on which comic coloring you refer to). In fact, when it comes to live-action interpretations of any costumed superhero, I dare say, Reeve's look was the most comic-accurate, before or since....ever.

Even with Dean Cain's outfit with its deeper blue satin look, you could tell the producers were not straying far from the comic design (in the 90's post-Doomsday/death/return, Superman's comic outfit did become a deeper shade of blue)

As for the Brandon Routh costume, it looks like a scuba suit. I never understood the need for the high neckline and the speedo-like swim trunks. The cape and boots are so dark that they are maroon. Thousands of tiny "S" sheilds all over (conterfeit protection?) And overall the thing is too plasticky/rubbery looking. Why does Superman need that much protection? Out of every live action incarnation of Superman, I feel the people behind SR made the most deliberate effort to put their own stamp on the character design. In itself, that's not a bad thing as the costume has subtly evolved anyway, I just think they made too many changes at once.

*cough...Phantom...cough*

Back