1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

It somehow misses the charm of Autobot John's version. Maybe it's the lack of crack pipes.

Don't forget the shaving cream and gobs of Aquafresh toothpaste too. :lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly:

It's a normal light - the magic is all in the on/off option afforded by the light switch. Use a dimmer for even more variation in the perceived quality of your complexion, facial structure, etc.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Also I want to say that when Arnie Kim says "dont worry Hot toy is perfect" he's not lying.

All that eye shadow makes him look a little like dark alcho Supes!
Need to get a 1/6th scale bottle of whiskey and a tumbler..
badsuperman.jpg

Evil-Superman.jpg

filesphp.jpg

Last edited:

I still wouldn't say perfect (I'm still comparing it to Eric Sosa's and the later is still way superior) but this is indeed much better!

Now let's hope Indy went the same way!
New Sculpt or Tweaked Sculpt????? either way

IT LOOKS GREAT!

Everyone should be happy with the likeness now - "Hottoy is PERFECT"

Just need to tweak the Logo and Boots :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I still wouldn't say perfect (I'm still comparing it to Eric Sosa's and the later is still way superior) but this is indeed much better!

Sosa's sculpt pales in comparison even before paints. :dunno

Both have their strengths. IMO neither are perfect still. But, at some point we have to be happy with as close as we're getting. Add to that, in my eye, the DX Jack Sparrow looks insanely close to Depp. But, others would completely disagree, making me think there's a science (not just art) to sculpting something and appealing to the majority.

It's been interesting watching the various HT figures come out, and seeing how people favor or not any particular sculpt. Often it comes down to us being totally spoiled by the leaps HT has made on their figures. But sometimes (like with Sparrow) I think there may be a psychology to how any particular person connects a representation of someone to the real person. If I were in college again studying psych, this could be the inspiration for an interesting paper.

I wasn't happy with the proto and said so.

All credit and praise to HT. They've obviously set an incredibly high standard for themselves which is being seen in nearly every release. The new/tweaked sculpt IMO is instantly recognisable as Reeve now.

I don't agree that the Sosa sculpt is superior but respect your view.

I've PO another 1 on the back of seeing the pics.

Well done HT!

When people list off the Superman actors you hear Reeve, Reeves, Routh, Welling. Sometimes people remember Kirk Alyn and even Tim Daily. Nobody ever mentions Jeff East even though he carried quite a bit of the first movie. It would be cool to see someone, HT or even one of our local sculptors create a Smallville Clark.

I disagree. Let's say that I think Sosa's sculpt captures Reeve, with all his failures while this one is a rather idealised version of Reeve as he appeared in some shots. But granted, if you look at different portrait of reeve in his younger days, the guy never had the same face, this is why his likeness is so hard to get. Actually, Sosa's sculpt is dead on but probably based on shots of reeve from different origins, so more reeve accurate and maybe less Superman Reeve accurate.

HT's sculpt is well, great but just... I don't know, something's still slightly off. Maybe too skinny or, I don't know, it's difficult to pinpoint. Now I'm just nitpicking and I can easily leave with the tweaked sculpt which is much better than the proto. Yet, I think we still need to see the ultimate Reeve sculpt (other than customized I mean!)

Both have their strengths. IMO neither are perfect still. But, at some point we have to be happy with as close as we're getting. Add to that, in my eye, the DX Jack Sparrow looks insanely close to Depp. But, others would completely disagree, making me think there's a science (not just art) to sculpting something and appealing to the majority.

It's been interesting watching the various HT figures come out, and seeing how people favor or not any particular sculpt. Often it comes down to us being totally spoiled by the leaps HT has made on their figures. But sometimes (like with Sparrow) I think there may be a psychology to how any particular person connects a representation of someone to the real person. If I were in college again studying psych, this could be the inspiration for an interesting paper.

Probably true, still I think it's all a question of memeory. We don't necessarily remember the same scenes or expressions.

Yet, to make things short, I would rate the latest Bale sculpt or DX Sparrow an A+ when this Reeve sculpt is for me a solid B+

I disagree. Let's say that I think Sosa's sculpt captures Reeve, with all his failures while this one is a rather idealised version of Reeve as he appeared in some shots. But granted, if you look at different portrait of reeve in his younger days, the guy never had the same face, this is why his likeness is so hard to get. Actually, Sosa's sculpt is dead on but probably based on shots of reeve from different origins, so more reeve accurate and maybe less Superman Reeve accurate.

HT's sculpt is well, great but just... I don't know, something's still slightly off. Maybe too skinny or, I don't know, it's difficult to pinpoint. Now I'm just nitpicking and I can easily leave with the tweaked sculpt which is much better than the proto. Yet, I think we still need to see the ultimate Reeve sculpt (other than customized I mean!)

Wouldn't really matter regardless because no matter how good a custom sculpt is, you still have to consider paints and I have yet (void's decomposing, coke-snorting Bale included) to see a custom on the same level as a finished HT product. And even to get it there, you're paying as much as, if not more than the goddam figure anyway. :lecture:lecture:lecture

When people list off the Superman actors you hear Reeve, Reeves, Routh, Welling. Sometimes people remember Kirk Alyn and even Tim Daily. Nobody ever mentions Jeff East even though he carried quite a bit of the first movie. It would be cool to see someone, HT or even one of our local sculptors create a Smallville Clark.

Decent post!

:clap

That's true!

Besides, I had seen these pics from my workplace and now that I've had time to look the pages back, I've seen the isolated face on a pic and I gotta admit it's really awesome.

So the feeling that the face is skinny is probably due either to the neck or the pose.

Anyway, apologies HT, great sculpt and mark revised: A

Wouldn't really matter regardless because no matter how good a custom sculpt is, you still have to consider paints and I have yet (void's decomposing, coke-snorting Bale included) to see a custom on the same level as a finished HT product. And even to get it there, you're paying as much as, if not more than the goddam figure anyway. :lecture:lecture:lecture

Only things he carried in the movie was-fake hair, fake nose, and fake voice :nana: I dont want to see HT do a figure that looks like it has a dirty potato as a nose.

Last edited:

Let's say that I think Sosa's sculpt captures Reeve, with all his failures while this one is a rather idealised version of Reeve as he appeared in some shots. But granted, if you look at different portrait of reeve in his younger days, the guy never had the same face, this is why his likeness is so hard to get. Actually, Sosa's sculpt is dead on but probably based on shots of reeve from different origins, so more reeve accurate and maybe less Superman Reeve accurate.

I just wanted the flag photo look.

I'm really happy with how the HS looks. I don't think it's idealised, it's just the way he looked in the part.

If this is all Arnie Kim's work then he's captured the likeness spot on (for me).

Your point about Reeve's face changing is very true which is why I think this looks so good. It somehow captures the likeness of all the different looks.

No mean feat if you think of all the attempts - Tussauds, Bobby C, Mike Hill etc, etc, etc. All great attempts/efforts - but something just not quite right.

The only other person IMO who has got the likeness right is the amazing Phil Robinson. But that's just my opinion.

Found another picture that looks like it could have been one used to develop the sculpt:

christopherreeveassuperman.jpg
6211234340_8c94f478ee_z.jpg

And of course the one everyone is looking at:

1810c9118d43ff9a11969e1740dbc9e6.jpg

Arnie did pretty good.

Back