Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this movie like swiss chees. Ton of holes. But damn tasty. :D

:goodpost::clap:rotfl

I love reading these discussions. I'm actually learning more and more as I read them. I need to go back and watch this film again. I thought I had most of the films points figured out but these last dozen or so posts is opening my eyes to other things.

The time I saw the film is irrelevant. That particular scene in the movie was very predictable...that was my point.

Glad to see you've decided to focus on my age as well though. :monkey1

It's good to be young, but I reserve the right as an aging fanboy to tease you mercilessly for it. Maybe I'll ask an Engineer to help me out...

Whether you care for those characters or not, what they went through was very intense and painful. It makes you cringe.

I cared about Fifield, not Millburn.

Fifield, although being rude at times, didn't come off as a bad person...so I naturally don't dislike him.

Still haven't shown how two idiots (you have not denied this!) standing around a vajay-jay viper waiting for it to attack them is more entertaining than any of the classic scenes from Alien or Aliens.

You're young but son, I am disappoint!

That comment wasn't directed at your overall point, because I already went over that earlier in the post...so I didn't miss anything. Just correcting you. :wave

:hi5: It's all good, Fetal McYoungster Junior!

...what bias? I went in thinking it was going to be pretty bad. :dunno

Wait, wait, wait, waaaaaaaaiit. You went in thinking it was going to suck, then during the course of the film you changed your mind?

QwxiH.gif

Lar'ja Thwei's blind love, nut huggery and bias for this film makes every response from him regarding it crack me up. :lol

Nut Huggery. I need an official dictionary entry for this. Now.:clap

Still haven't shown how two idiots (you have not denied this!) standing around a vajay-jay viper waiting for it to attack them is more entertaining than any of the classic scenes from Alien or Aliens.
Nope, haven't denied it. I've actually stated this before...I completely agree. The way they acted before it attacked was very silly and idiotic. They were the characters who open that scary door that you keep screaming for them not to.

Actually, Fifield's actions weren't that idiotic. He was scared and stayed behind Millburn..and only gave in because Millburn sort of calmed him down, "It's alright, she's a good girl"...etc.

I loved the movie..but it wasn't perfect.

(however, if it bothers you that much, you could say that they weren't so cautious around the Hammerpede because of the massive ammount of relief they must have been feeling since it wasn't a giant humanoid creature as they were most likely expecting due to the corpses and lifeform *ping* from the pups...)

..but I did state why the whole Hammerpede scene overall is more "thrilling" than the Queen/elevator scene.

Lar'ja Thwei said:
Who did you think was in the elevator? The Dropship? No. It was obviously going to be the Queen. That kinda ruins the whole "demonic visage peering out of the shadows, jets of stream everywhere" image because we know with almost absolute certainty that it's the Queen.

And I don't think we even saw the Queen chase after Ripley while she got on the Dropship either.

I love Aliens, and I love that scene...but it was incredibly predictable.

Lar'ja Thwei said:
We knew the Hammerpede was going to attack atleast one of them. But I wasn't expecting it to wrap around his arm, continually tighten while the man screams in pain crying for Fifield to cut it off..only for it to spray acid blood all over Fifield's helmet causing it to melt on his face and him to fall in the black ooze that we now know mutates whatever touches it...while the Hammerpede, still alive, slides through Millburn's suit, wraps around his neck strangling him, then slithers down his throat. Very intense and suspenseful.

Lar'ja Thwei said:
The suspenseful part for me was mostly when the Hammerpede was wrapping around his arm, squeezing tighter and tighter... while he's screaming for Fifield to touch it, and then cut it off. While it's ripping his muscles and crunching his bones..

And then, there's suspense from knowing that that wasn't the only Hammerpede there..and that Fifield isn't paying attention to what's around him because he's trying to get the Hammerpede off of Millburn, etc, etc.

Whether you care for those characters or not, what they went through was very intense and painful. It makes you cringe.

And I really wouldn't say that the Queen appearing in the elevator was a classic scene...now the powerloader vs Queen duel. That was classic/iconic.

I still feel chills when I hear Ripley say "Get away from her you _____!". Such an epic scene.

Nope, haven't denied it. I've actually stated this before...I completely agree. The way they acted before it attacked was very silly and idiotic. They were the characters who open that scary door that you keep screaming for them not to.

You only want them to stay away if you care about them. They never established these guys as anything beyond alien appetizers.

Honestly that scene was about as intense as the beginning of Return of the Blob. Yeah, don't even try to look that one up sonny!

Actually, Fifield's actions weren't that idiotic. He was scared and stayed behind Millburn...

That's right. I forgot about the unspoken love they had for each other... or could it have been they both thought it was a fleshlight? Oh, Lindelof you sphinx you!

..but I did state why the whole Hammerpede scene overall is more "thrilling" than the Queen/elevator scene.

Perhaps I should have amended that to say any scene from Alien/Aliens is more entertaining than that scene. My bad!

I really wouldn't say that the Queen appearing in the elevator was a classic scene...now the powerloader vs Queen duel. That was classic/iconic.

I still feel chills when I hear Ripley say "Get away from her you _____!". Such an epic scene.

At least we can agree that the "Get away from her you _____!" is still better than "Stay away from that you morons!"

:goodpost::clap:rotfl

I love reading these discussions. I'm actually learning more and more as I read them. I need to go back and watch this film again. I thought I had most of the films points figured out but these last dozen or so posts is opening my eyes to other things.

The last dozen or so posts? You mean the back and forth b_itching of the issues with Aliens and Prometheus??

But I hear you, the discussion in this thread is great.

It's all in good fun. We gotta make these millionaires earn their keep somehow.

Saw the film this weekend and was incredibly unimpressed it was obviously hugely overhyped, it might strech to a 5/10 for effort I guess.

It seemed very badly edited and 'jumped' about inexplicably really not one of Mr. Scotts best efforts and certainly not a patch on the past Alien movies.

It was all a bit of a mish-mash.

DiFabio: Alien and Aliens are infallible to criticism.

Frank: They are the Pope of sci-fi horror films.

Ramatuelle: Pretty much.

First off Lar'ja Thwei, don't sweat these guys comments about your age, they just utterly DESTROYED any credibility they had with their comments above. :lol

NO ONE who saw Alien in 1979 and considered it "infallible" would ever say the same of Aliens. Most of what Cameron did was rehash Scott's work but with less beautiful cinematography and worse actors. With the unique slant of a Viet Nam backdrop. Believe me, I had to hear that ad nauseum in the 90's from disgruntled Alien fans put off that Cameron made the series more accessible to the masses with "ra ra" military adventure. No more "perfect organism" that can't be killed, just a bunch of bugs that can be quickly put down if they find themselves at the business end of an assault rifle.

So it sounds like we have a number of fellows who saw Aliens first, fell in love, by default include Alien in that love, and are now resistant to further deviation from Cameron's formula. I'm not telling anyone what their opinion is, but as someone who *has* been here a while, that's certainly what it looks like.

I saw Aliens in 1986 (thank you very much ;)) and could NOT believe that the marines were stupid enough to interrupt Ripley in the middle of her briefing and didn't even let her finish explaining what they were up against! First viewing, 1986, and I sat there thinking "are you EFFING kidding me? They don't even care!?? Morons, they're all going to die, all of them and good freaking riddance."

So take that Prometheus haters. :nana:

But I love Aliens. Love it love it love it. Was my top 2 movie of all time after The Empire Strikes Back (ahead of ANH and ROTJ!) until the LOTR trilogy came along and pushed those two movies down a few notches.

And I love Prometheus. And what you really need to do is look at the entirety of the story and then backtrack, adjusting expectations accordingly. It's what we did with Aliens and what we should do today. See in Aliens it was kind of an eye-roller that the colonists just HAPPENED to find the derelict the same week Ripley woke up just to give her an opportunity to go on another adventure. Until you learn that Burke gave the order to investigate based on Ripley's story. Similarly a lot of what the marines do is pretty idiotic purely based on the position of Gorman and his near complete incompetence. But who put Gorman in charge of the unit at the last minute? Someone who possibly didn't want a stronger leader as competition? Someone like Burke? They seemed pretty chummy when visiting Ripley in her apartment. And suddenly when you backtrack with Burke's motivations there's a whole new light on the entire series of events. It wasn’t just a straight “rescue mission” it was a “cover my ass and erase the evidence” mission initiated by one man.

Now let’s look at Prometheus. Scientists in search of answers regarding the origin of mankind to satisfy a deep curiosity within their souls? Some of whom behave foolishly? No, at it’s core that’s actually not what the mission was about. That was the motivation of Shaw and Holloway, but only Shaw and Holloway. Weylan was pulling the strings, footing the bill, and calling the shots. And what was his mission? To seek out immortality. EVERYTHING/ONE was put into place by him to fulfill that desire. And that brings up an absolutely brilliant twist. That Peter Weylan, founder of Weylan Industries (sorry AvP fans) was not actually looking for a bioweapon of mass destruction. No, he was searching for the key to prolong life. What a brilliant and ironic twist.

And that turns all the preceding scenes completely upside down. David was not poisoning Holloway to test out a weapon, he was testing potential holy grails. And I mean that literally. Think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Weylan has seen it. And he has deducted that the Engineers created us, created us to be mortal, and possibly created harmful organisms (that is those that already exist on our planet) as a “checks and balances” system to prevent their creations from getting out of control. So Weylan knows that there might be an untainted, tangible method at the Engineers’ disposal to do away with said checks and balances. He just doesn’t want to test the potential “immortality elixirs” himself. Again, he’s seen The Last Crusade and doesn’t want to “choose poorly.”

So he hand picks the world’s greatest “Steve Irwins” (GREAT analogy Frank, no joke :duff) who are willing to risk death (just by going into hypersleep!) in search of knowledge/adventure/money and therefore act as his oblivious pawns. These are guys who did not risk their very lives and half a decade of their lives (just in the round trip alone) to show up and keep their space helmets on or not interact with the flora and fauna of this unprecedented new world. And with that in mind some of the choices of the crew are not “poor characterization” at all. The real Steve Irwin proved that.

Of course Vickers proves to be a bit of a fly in the anointment for him as she has a lot more to lose (as opposed to Weylan who is only going to live a short few months/years if his mission fails) and she actively works to *prevent* the crew from getting to close to harmful organisms and thereby exposing her.

When they get there it appears that all Engineers are dead and all David can do is systematically start testing crap on the crew in the hopes that they find a cure for “death.” And that’s another amazing twist on our assumptions. Until the very end he seems to be continuing in the tradition of Ash, placing the expendable crew in harm’s way to discover the perfect weapon. But if the black goo worked differently he would have made Holloway the very first beneficiary of immortality! So Alien gave us an evil android, Aliens a good android, and Prometheus one that was completely neutral. A droid that would put someone’s life at risk and then help them immediately after, all for the greater good of finding a way to cheat death. Awesome.

As for the berzerking engineer, again, think Indiana Jones. They did NOT best him in single combat and therefore proved themselves unworthy of the secrets of eternal life. ;) I say that tongue planted firmly in cheek but the truth is we don’t know WHAT the criteria were for being worthy of addressing an Engineer, whatever it was some succeeded in a sense (as he did not initially pursue Shaw) and some did not (everyone else.)

You just have to keep in mind that Weylan is the “Burke” of Prometheus and pretty much most/all of the alleged holes/mischaracterizations suddenly diminish or disappear altogether once that is revealed. Brilliant movie. Not perfect (and neither are Alien or Aliens) but brilliant nonetheless.

First off Lar'ja Thwei, don't sweat these guys comments about your age, they just utterly DESTROYED any credibility they had with their comments above. :lol

NO ONE who saw Alien in 1979 and considered it "infallible" would ever say the same of Aliens. Most of what Cameron did was rehash Scott's work but with less beautiful cinematography and worse actors. With the unique slant of a Viet Nam backdrop. Believe me, I had to hear that ad nauseum in the 90's from disgruntled Alien fans put off that Cameron made the series more accessible to the masses with "ra ra" military adventure. No more "perfect organism" that can't be killed, just a bunch of bugs that can be quickly put down if they find themselves at the business end of an assault rifle.

So it sounds like we have a number of fellows who saw Aliens first, fell in love, by default include Alien in that love, and are now resistant to further deviation from Cameron's formula. I'm not telling anyone what their opinion is, but as someone who *has* been here a while, that's certainly what it looks like.

I saw Aliens in 1986 (thank you very much ;)) and could NOT believe that the marines were stupid enough to interrupt Ripley in the middle of her briefing and didn't even let her finish explaining what they were up against! First viewing, 1986, and I sat there thinking "are you EFFING kidding me? They don't even care!?? Morons, they're all going to die, all of them and good freaking riddance."

So take that Prometheus haters. :nana:

But I love Aliens. Love it love it love it. Was my top 2 movie of all time after The Empire Strikes Back (ahead of ANH and ROTJ!) until the LOTR trilogy came along and pushed those two movies down a few notches.

And I love Prometheus. And what you really need to do is look at the entirety of the story and then backtrack, adjusting expectations accordingly. It's what we did with Aliens and what we should do today. See in Aliens it was kind of an eye-roller that the colonists just HAPPENED to find the derelict the same week Ripley woke up just to give her an opportunity to go on another adventure. Until you learn that Burke gave the order to investigate based on Ripley's story. Similarly a lot of what the marines do is pretty idiotic purely based on the position of Gorman and his near complete incompetence. But who put Gorman in charge of the unit at the last minute? Someone who possibly didn't want a stronger leader as competition? Someone like Burke? They seemed pretty chummy when visiting Ripley in her apartment. And suddenly when you backtrack with Burke's motivations there's a whole new light on the entire series of events. It wasn’t just a straight “rescue mission” it was a “cover my ass and erase the evidence” mission initiated by one man.

Now let’s look at Prometheus. Scientists in search of answers regarding the origin of mankind to satisfy a deep curiosity within their souls? Some of whom behave foolishly? No, at it’s core that’s actually not what the mission was about. That was the motivation of Shaw and Holloway, but only Shaw and Holloway. Weylan was pulling the strings, footing the bill, and calling the shots. And what was his mission? To seek out immortality. EVERYTHING/ONE was put into place by him to fulfill that desire. And that brings up an absolutely brilliant twist. That Peter Weylan, founder of Weylan Industries (sorry AvP fans) was not actually looking for a bioweapon of mass destruction. No, he was searching for the key to prolong life. What a brilliant and ironic twist.

And that turns all the preceding scenes completely upside down. David was not poisoning Holloway to test out a weapon, he was testing potential holy grails. And I mean that literally. Think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Weylan has seen it. And he has deducted that the Engineers created us, created us to be mortal, and possibly created harmful organisms (that is those that already exist on our planet) as a “checks and balances” system to prevent their creations from getting out of control. So Weylan knows that there might be an untainted, tangible method at the Engineers’ disposal to do away with said checks and balances. He just doesn’t want to test the potential “immortality elixirs” himself. Again, he’s seen The Last Crusade and doesn’t want to “choose poorly.”

So he hand picks the world’s greatest “Steve Irwins” (GREAT analogy Frank, no joke :duff) who are willing to risk death (just by going into hypersleep!) in search of knowledge/adventure/money and therefore act as his oblivious pawns. These are guys who did not risk their very lives and half a decade of their lives (just in the round trip alone) to show up and keep their space helmets on or not interact with the flora and fauna of this unprecedented new world. And with that in mind some of the choices of the crew are not “poor characterization” at all. The real Steve Irwin proved that.

Of course Vickers proves to be a bit of a fly in the anointment for him as she has a lot more to lose (as opposed to Weylan who is only going to live a short few months/years if his mission fails) and she actively works to *prevent* the crew from getting to close to harmful organisms and thereby exposing her.

When they get there it appears that all Engineers are dead and all David can do is systematically start testing crap on the crew in the hopes that they find a cure for “death.” And that’s another amazing twist on our assumptions. Until the very end he seems to be continuing in the tradition of Ash, placing the expendable crew in harm’s way to discover the perfect weapon. But if the black goo worked differently he would have made Holloway the very first beneficiary of immortality! So Alien gave us an evil android, Aliens a good android, and Prometheus one that was completely neutral. A droid that would put someone’s life at risk and then help them immediately after, all for the greater good of finding a way to cheat death. Awesome.

As for the berzerking engineer, again, think Indiana Jones. They did NOT best him in single combat and therefore proved themselves unworthy of the secrets of eternal life. ;) I say that tongue planted firmly in cheek but the truth is we don’t know WHAT the criteria were for being worthy of addressing an Engineer, whatever it was some succeeded in a sense (as he did not initially pursue Shaw) and some did not (everyone else.)

You just have to keep in mind that Weylan is the “Burke” of Prometheus and pretty much most/all of the alleged holes/mischaracterizations suddenly diminish or disappear altogether once that is revealed. Brilliant movie. Not perfect (and neither are Alien or Aliens) but brilliant nonetheless.

What a brick wall of text, I wouldn't have read even a fraction of it, except you got on a roll Khev and you nailed it on several fronts. One of the better posts I've seen on these boards.:hi5:

Back