Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prometheus and Avengers are definitely my two favorites of the summer thus far and I doubt anything coming up will change that.
I saw Avengers three times (unheard of these days) and I'm hopeful I'll get to see Prometheus a second time in the theater. In addition to watching the story unfold again, now that I've been thinking about it for a while, I'm also excited just to see it again in 3D. It's the first movie I've seen that I felt benefited from 3D. :clap

Prometheus and Avengers are definitely my two favorites of the summer thus far and I doubt anything coming up will change that.
I saw Avengers three times (unheard of these days) and I'm hopeful I'll get to see Prometheus a second time in the theater. In addition to watching the story unfold again, now that I've been thinking about it for a while, I'm also excited just to see it again in 3D. It's the first movie I've seen that I felt benefited from 3D. :clap

Same, I enjoyed Avengers and Prometheus, hoping to add SPidey to the list tomorrow. :yess:

Yep Spidey, Promethus and Avengers have all been very enjoyable. It's been a pretty good year for block buster type movies. Still some good ones to come.

this girl... is so hot... and smart :drool :drool :drool

[ame]https://youtu.be/f1gX8Kwdg3I[/ame]
[ame]https://youtu.be/g4P2WKa1opY[/ame]

so pretty...

Last edited:
Chick knows what shes talking about. Maybe more people will accept that the movie makes 0 sense and to not just "accept it for what it is,a great movie" because shes actually made a video stating what we have all been typing.

Chick knows what shes talking about. Maybe more people will accept that the movie makes 0 sense and to not just "accept it for what it is,a great movie" because shes actually made a video stating what we have all been typing.

yeah the video helps to show others the problems of the movie, like you said what everyone has been typing,

plus... she is so sexy :love

So no one here is Talkingabout SPACE Jesus??? :horror

Certainly not "everyone." A few people. But so what, it didn't make the movie. Ripping on Prometheus for "Space Jesus" is liking ripping on Raiders of the Lost Ark because Lucas originally intended for Indy to be played by Tom Selleck.

Discarded ideas /= the actual movie.

..my 64 year-old grandmother understood a lot of what took place in the film after her first viewing. So I think it had to have made a little bit of sense.

The thing that bugs me the most is that, people won't understand something very simple.

Then when I tell them "Well see, remember when this happened which led to this, and this, then after they wake him Shaw asks him this and that?"

They'll respond with something like "Yeah, well, Ridley Scott didn't pause the movie and specifically tell me what happened in that scene. Plot hole. Failed movie. Made zero sense."

But then I'm like "Well..of course. That would be a documentary. Every film out there, even stupid ones require atleast a little bit of thinking. It's a story. Sometimes you have to pay attention to one scene in order to understand another. Some are more complex than others, Prometheus being a bit above average. But yeah, if literally every scene was explained to you step-by-step by the man who created the film..it would be a documentary."

And then they respond with something like.."No, you're wrong. You're just a biased apologist. But you're young and your brain isn't fully developed yet, so it's okay.

Idiot"

:lol

It's almost as if they want to compete with me. They don't want to understand why something happened in the film, they never wanted to like the film. They want to argue with me, tell me I'm wrong...etc.

Then I get kinda tired, walk away for a while... then a few days or a week later they come back to the thread for the movie they hate that "made zero sense" and say literally, the exact same thing over again.

The one thing the girl got right was that dropping the idea of "space jesus" or any kind of transgression shown on screen makes it hard for your average movie goer to put two plus two and get four. I believe her assessment is straight on that it was a _____ move due to fear of religious backlash.She also points out that theres tons of subtle clues that were put in to let the viewer form a close opinion on what happened, but your average person deduces this: THEY TOLD THEM TO GO TO THEIR PLANET, BUT THEIR PLANET WAS A MILITARY BASE, HYUK HYUK!" Its like they can't figure that something changed between the BC cave paintings and the AD them wanting to kill us.

Another good point she made; you shouldn't have to goto the internet for movie enjoyment, but I did start warming up to the movie after seeing Ridley Scott interviews where he "filled" gaps.

Despite every other thing, if they had just spoonfed one basic detail to the audience, your average Michael Bay fan would have been much happier and been able to overlook alot of the contrived and glaring stuff.

Or maybe not. :dunno

I'm glad I didn't need to "see" the alleged transgression committed by humanity on screen. If that's what separates those who appreciate this film vs. your average Michael Bay fan then so be it.

I like the notion presented in the film that the universe/creation is massive and almost unsearchable by normal human means. Did the engineers make us because they could and then get tired of us? Were we just guinea pigs they wanted to test their hair products on? Did they want to create us in their image and then we turned on them?

Or are they ancient humans corrupted by demons that tried to wipe us out when the real God sent the Christ?

The movie doesn't take a firm stand on that and I'm glad that it doesn't. It's just about the crew of the Prometheus interacting with an abandoned weapons depot for conflicting reasons and reaping the consequences. I *like* that it's not preachy. Fascinating and thought provoking but doesn't discredit anyone's preconceived notions of the universe going in. If the intentions and backstory of the Engineers were small enough to be compartmentalized in this one story then they probably wouldn't have been impressive enough to live up to our expectations.

So no one here is Talkingabout SPACE Jesus??? :horror

the stuff she says is the stuff that I've been hearing about this movie, but she goes further,

She does give further elaboration on the certain probable inspirations for some of the themes in the movie. She's harsh on the film but she's so perky you don't notice.

..my 64 year-old grandmother understood a lot of what took place in the film after her first viewing. So I think it had to have made a little bit of sense.

The thing that bugs me the most is that, people won't understand something very simple.

Then when I tell them "Well see, remember when this happened which led to this, and this, then after they wake him Shaw asks him this and that?"

They'll respond with something like "Yeah, well, Ridley Scott didn't pause the movie and specifically tell me what happened in that scene. Plot hole. Failed movie. Made zero sense."

But then I'm like "Well..of course. That would be a documentary. Every film out there, even stupid ones require atleast a little bit of thinking. It's a story. Sometimes you have to pay attention to one scene in order to understand another. Some are more complex than others, Prometheus being a bit above average. But yeah, if literally every scene was explained to you step-by-step by the man who created the film..it would be a documentary."

Let's have a drinking game!

Everytime you bring up the point that the movie makes sense if you just pay attention, 1 sip.

Everytime you say that all you need to do is think about it, then it makes sense, 2 sips.

Everytime you mention your age as being a point of persecution on the forums, 1 chug.

Now make sure you put the Kool-Aid pitcher back in the fridge and wash the sippy cup out before placing it back in grandma's cabinet. She'll understand what took place.

... then a few days or a week later they come back to the thread for the movie they hate that "made zero sense" and say literally, the exact same thing over again.

That's a two way street you're driving on. :1-1:

"But it does make sense guys!" ad infinitum.

I like the notion presented in the film that the universe/creation is massive and almost unsearchable by normal human means. Did the engineers make us because they could and then get tired of us? Were we just guinea pigs they wanted to test their hair products on? Did they want to create us in their image and then we turned on them?

Or are they ancient humans corrupted by demons that tried to wipe us out when the real God sent the Christ?

The movie doesn't take a firm stand on that and I'm glad that it doesn't. It's just about the crew of the Prometheus interacting with an abandoned weapons depot for conflicting reasons and reaping the consequences. I *like* that it's not preachy. Fascinating and thought provoking but doesn't discredit anyone's preconceived notions of the universe going in. If the intentions and backstory of the Engineers were small enough to be compartmentalized in this one story then they probably wouldn't have been impressive enough to live up to our expectations.

If it were somewhere between a road map and Robert Tilton, I'd be happy. Right now it's a maze on the back of a happy meal.

I haven't just been saying "if you pay attention, you should understand it", or "It does make sense guys!" though. I've reasonably gone over probably each and every "flaw" with the film. I've actually been explaining why these "flaws" either aren't real flaws, or are incredibly minute and common among other sci-fi/horror/action/adventure films and how Prometheus is unfairly being targeted for them.

And I didn't start making a big deal (and still really haven't..was just bluntly quoting what someone else already said) about the age thing until it was brought up by others for the fourth or fifth time FYI.

I haven't just been saying "if you pay attention, you should understand it", or "It does make sense guys!" though. I've reasonably gone over probably each and every "flaw" with the film. I've actually been explaining why these "flaws" either aren't real flaws, or are incredibly minute and common among other sci-fi/horror/action/adventure films and how Prometheus is unfairly being targeted for them.

And I didn't start making a big deal (and still really haven't..was just bluntly quoting what someone else already said) about the age thing until it was brought up by others for the fourth or fifth time FYI.

Look it's a matter of suspension of disbelief. One of the few benefits of getting older is it gets easier to see through BS. Eventually we get really cranky and require someone else to spoon feed us jello. So it's a toss up.

I'm glad you liked it. Since we've already talked about almost every single scene in the movie, I don't expect you to suddenly dislike it or be critical of it. It might very well be flawless for you but instead of taking pains to keep the discussion on those marvelous points of yours, you keep running out of steam and go back to overestimating your reasoning skills while underestimating everyone else. Rookie mistake.

I've reasonably gone over probably each and every "flaw" with the film.

Obnoxious. Pretentious. I like your syle! All you have to do is play off that so it won't be too annoying. Good luck!

As for the age thing, what is complaining to the world about being teased about being young going to do? You will find my sympathy between schidt and syphillis. Being young is awesome, stop calling attention to it like it was a disability. Pretty soon someone's gonna give you crutches.

Back