The Wolverine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, the jean grey thing makes no sense in the movies.

Becuase he is not fixated, or in love with jean.

Comic explanation time.

He is in love with a girl from his childhood named Rose. Rose helps him get away from his home when he accidentaly kills the groundskeeper as a kid, they run away, fall in love, escape, hide etc.

All the things he did with sabertooth in xmen origins. Then, his healing factor wipes his memory of emotional scars after she dies in a fire...

But jean looks exactly like her. So in jean, he sees Rose.

But rose wasn't in the movies at all... So it makes little sense.

No no no. Here's what happened. James howlett aka wolverine killed Thomas Logan his real father who was the grounds keeper. Rose and Logan were blamed and ran away, they grew up in some Canadian town. He fell in love with her but she loved somebody else. He accidentally kills her when sabertooth(or dog) attacks him for revenge of Thomas Logan. After that he runs away with the wolves into the mountains.

I didn't hate Viper as much as I thought I would but there were multiple characters doing the same thing cannibilizing each other.

That being said, there really were some great story dynamics pulling at each other.

The combination of corruption, politics, family, honor, love, friendship, all that intrigue criss crossing each other with the patriarch at the core really resonated with me, it felt like I was watching The Godfather at one point.

Then the obligatory big robot reared its ugly head into the equation :lol

There went my Godfather right out da window, fly away little story bird, be free. :lol

Viper was terrible. The worst thing about the film. Not only was her acting bad, but she was a pointless character. Take her out and the film is perfectly fine.

But you would sleep with her I bet.... Hmmm

Viper concept art:

nyvK68U.jpg

Just watched it earlier, and I have to say even though I enjoyed it, it's pretty much mediocre, with what I thought to be as a half cooked stories and characters.

Ninja dude:

He's a ninja who's been trained since early age to serve, protect and 100% loyal to Yashida. Then in a split second after getting stabbed, he suddenly turned on his master? Even though his girl chosed Logan?

Wolverine:

I thought one of wolverine's ability was that he's agile and fast. Wtf was he thinking when he took in all those arrows that the ninjas shoot. And can't he break em off and duck instead of taking it all in only to collapse at the end?

Mariko:

I thought she said she was Japanese and that she honors her family, but during the span of a few days, she chosed Logan whom she just knew for a few days and helped killed her grandpa? Everything moved too fast IMO.

silver samurai was cheesy as hell, looks like something from a low budget movie. They shoulda have some epic battles ala kill bill during the Oren Ishi scene or something similar. Would've made the movie and the characters more memorable. I do enjoy the bullet train fighting scene though

Might be in the minority, but I personally think Origins was a much better movie.

My one nitpick with the film was Wolverine's characterization. I fully appreciated and enjoyed the changes and expansions the film made with Claremont/Miller's comic arc. Comics are comics, movies are movies, and I'm first and foremost a movie person; But in this case, I would have preferred a Logan closer to how he was in the series.

In the comic, Logan is extremely knowledgable and respectful of Japanese culture, going as far as speaking Japanese to the other characters. This is a nice contrast to his beastly nature. In the movie, Logan is just another "dumb", fish out of water westerner. I understand this Wolverine is broken and exhausted at this point in his life, but I would have liked to see a happy medium.

Yeah, this is what I wanted to see as well.

Maybe a mixture of last samurai and kill bill, where the relationship between Mariko didn't happen just over 1 night. And more epic battle scenes.

Just watched it earlier, and I have to say even though I enjoyed it, it's pretty much mediocre, with what I thought to be as a half cooked stories and characters.

Ninja dude:

He's a ninja who's been trained since early age to serve, protect and 100% loyal to Yashida. Then in a split second after getting stabbed, he suddenly turned on his master? Even though his girl chosed Logan?

Wolverine:

I thought one of wolverine's ability was that he's agile and fast. Wtf was he thinking when he took in all those arrows that the ninjas shoot. And can't he break em off and duck instead of taking it all in only to collapse at the end?

Mariko:

I thought she said she was Japanese and that she honors her family, but during the span of a few days, she chosed Logan whom she just knew for a few days and helped killed her grandpa? Everything moved too fast IMO.

silver samurai was cheesy as hell, looks like something from a low budget movie. They shoulda have some epic battles ala kill bill during the Oren Ishi scene or something similar. Would've made the movie and the characters more memorable. I do enjoy the bullet train fighting scene though

Might be in the minority, but I personally think Origins was a much better movie.

Valid points, but for me:

Ninja: getting stabbed has that effect on loyalty. :rotfl

Wolverine: he did fight them, unfortunately it was cut from the movie, hopfully reinserted for dvd.

Mariko: she only turned against family after her grandfather died, she hated her dad.

SS: Yeah ok, you got me. :rotfl

You shouldn't say in public that WO was a much better movie. :lol

Valid points, but for me:

Ninja: getting stabbed has that effect on loyalty. :rotfl

Wolverine: he did fight them, unfortunately it was cut from the movie, hopfully reinserted for dvd.

Mariko: she only turned against family after her grandfather died, she hated her dad.

SS: Yeah ok, you got me. :rotfl

You shouldn't say in public that WO was a much better movie. :lol

:lol

I guess they sensored or cut too much in the theater :thud:

but yeah, Mariko didn't do jack **** when grandpa turned out to be alive and younger. At least she should show a moment of hesitation before allowing the others killhim off? I mean this is a guy who she spent most of her life time with, and she traded it for Logan whom she just met a couple of days? Japan is a fast paced city, but all of this things move wayy to fast.

And for the richest and smartest dude in Japan, gramps certainly is stupid not to tell his family and that red haired chick what his plans are. Had he inform and told em, he would've made it alive. I guess Mariko decided to off gramps that moment since she realized had he obtain eternal life, she'd never be own the inheritance and be the most important woman in Japan.

And also

I lolled when Logan and the red haired chick talked about the distance to location where was abducted, and she said about 500km. Where time was of the essence, and even though they had an Audi A4 like stark's at their disposal, he still waste his time to find and ride a bike.

This is one film where hopefully a unrated or "R" rated uncut/director's cut film gets released on DVD.:pray::pray::pray:

:lol

I guess Mariko decided to off gramps that moment since she realized had he obtain eternal life, she'd never be own the inheritance and be the most important woman in Japan.

The more you talk the less I think you paid any attention to the film.
She did not kill him because she wanted to run the business and be the wealthiest woman in Japan.

So I hear this one was another entry in the column of "good enough". Not as bad as x3, or origins, but not as good as X2. But still good. That about right?

For me yeah, around third best. But around sixth best among solo superhero movies

Well I guess that would make more sense, but the way the movies have played it Wolverine is seems creepily fixated on a woman that was already in love with someone else and has told him "No" several times.

She said no but that was out of loyalty to Scott, she was fiercely attracted to Logan. Even if it wasn't reciprocated Logan loved her and that was enough for his Grief in this movie

Viper was terrible. The worst thing about the film. Not only was her acting bad, but she was a pointless character. Take her out and the film is perfectly fine.

She was neccessary for the Healing Factor plot but used too much at the end.

The more you talk the less I think you paid any attention to the film.
She did not kill him because she wanted to run the business and be the wealthiest woman in Japan.

:exactly:

She only

killed him to save Logan and because she cae to realise how selfish and evil he had become

I really thought this film was a fantastic edition to the series. The best in my opinion. A really fun and enjoyable film. You have fun watching and so many cool things in it. Story was good. Overall fun fun film. I have no complaints. The best!

Finally! A Wolverine movie that does the character justice. I know some have complained about the slow-burn aspect, but as a fan of the character starting back with the Miller limited run, THIS was the movie that should have been made years ago. While not perfect, and playing out more in a dramatic aspect than full-on action at every turn, I enjoyed it very much. Hope they make another with Mangold at the helm!

But you would sleep with her I bet.... Hmmm

Honestly no, she was not attractive to me at all.

She was neccessary for the Healing Factor plot but used too much at the end.

Was she though?
It seemed like her venom was the cause, but then it turned out it was the little nanobug. Which I guess she created, but you could have had any other character do that

Maybe I missed a couple lines of dialogue or something, but what was her reason for being there? What were her motivations? What did she gain from helping him? I kept losing focus on her whenever she talked. Her acting was distracting.

The skin peel was cool

Back