1/6 Hot Toys - MMS277 - Iron Man 3: Striker (Mark XXV) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well technically its not unique since gamma is the same suit just green. Either way its a really cool design and I'm excited to add both to my collection.

Some photos taken at Toy Hunters today

15505603624_e5da68a903_b_d.jpg

15940644320_2bc449a9be_b_d.jpg

Thanks for the pics, they look great!

I wouldn't worry, unless there's a compelling reason for it to be diecast, Shotgun will almost certainly be plastic.

Ultron, on the other hand...we're going to see how committed HT is to diecast other than, say, the original seven suits.

I wouldn't worry, unless there's a compelling reason for it to be diecast, Shotgun will almost certainly be plastic.

Ultron, on the other hand...we're going to see how committed HT is to diecast other than, say, the original seven suits.

I'd be happy with just the original suits getting the diecast treatment, Hot Rod is only diecast because it's a repaint after all so I think it'll be the only HPP figure in that format. Nothing wrong with plastic anyway, I just like the metal being used to make the figures when & where practical. :)

I'd love to see Shotgun. A diecast Shotgun would be extra awesome! :pray:

I doubt you will see any more die cast HPP armors.

I'm sure the only reason Hot Rod is die cast is because it would have cost money to re-tool for that release.

I'd be happy with just the original suits getting the diecast treatment, Hot Rod is only diecast because it's a repaint after all so I think it'll be the only HPP figure in that format. Nothing wrong with plastic anyway, I just like the metal being used to make the figures when & where practical. :)

Hot Rod isn't a re-paint.

A re-paint is when a company takes a figure that has been released and re-releases it with a different paint job that in most cases is of the same figure and it has no true basis in accuracy.

McFarlane pioneered the practice

Hot toys is not "inventing" and new paint scheme for the same figure, it is accurately painting the body a different color.

An example of Hot toys issuing a repaint would be the gun metal versions of the Mark 43/4 and the Milk version of War Machine Mark 1

Last edited:
Blind taste test.

A re-paint is when

1) a company takes a figure that has been release check
2) re-releases it with a different paint job check
3) that in most cases is of the same figure check

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck........

Hot Rod isn't a re-paint.

A re-paint is when a company takes a figure that has been release and re-releases it with a different paint job that in most cases is of the same figure and it has b=no true basis in accuracy.

McFarlane pioneered the practice

Hot toys is not "inventing" and new paint scheme for the same figure, it is accurately painting the body a different color.

An example of Hot toys issuing a repaint would be the gun metal versions of the Mark 43/4 and the Milk version of War Machine Mark 1

Might want to delete this one, gonna end up on the bottom of Lipsmack's signature. :lol

Hot Rod was never released before. He is a different character and Hot Toys was required to "match" his original paint job. They just didn't invent a Hot Rod paint scheme and repaint a War Machine to introduce a different version of War Machine.

I not saying Hot Toys doesn't release re-paints to cash in on tooling, in fact I gave 3 examples of when they did.

But Hot Rod Doesn't fall into the category of repaint because he is his own character

When Todd McFarlane repainted the exact same Spawn figure and marketed it as a new release that was a re-paint.

When Hasbro repainted Storm Troopers to make them dirty and put them on a new card, that was a repaint.

Now if Hot Toys releases a BD version of Hot Rod and the only difference are painted effects (not new interchangeable parts), then that would be a re-paint.

BING AGGREES

Blind taste test.

A re-paint is when

1) a company takes a figure that has been release check
2) re-releases it with a different paint job check
3) that in most cases is of the same figure check

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck........

Last edited:
Hot Rod was never released before. He is a different character and Hot Toys was required to "match" his original paint job. They just didn't invent a Hot Rod paint scheme and repaint a War Machine to introduce a different version of War Machine.

I not saying Hot Toys doesn't release re-paints to cash in on tooling, in fact I gave 3 examples of when they did.

But Hot Rod Doesn't fall into the category of repaint because he is his own character

When Todd McFarlane repainted the exact same Spawn figure and marketed it as a new release that was a re-paint.

When Hasbro repainted Storm Troopers to make them dirty and put them on a new card, that was a repaint.

Now if Hot Toys releases a BD version of Hot Rod and the only difference are painted effects (not new interchangeable parts), then that would be a re-paint.

Completely understand what you are conveying but hairs can be split both ends. Keep marvel nerd lore out of defining Hot Rod and his 4 seconds of fame in IM3.
What difference is there between the iron patriot and Hot Rod bodies? Exclude the shoulder lazer. Body only.

Would you agree Hot Toys process to make Hot Rod's body and iron patriot's is performed probably the same way? If so, what is the only difference left between the two? Paint.

So folks are saying re-paint which is absolutely a true statement regarding the manufactured item we will be receiving in a month.

BING AGGREES

Hot Rod is a repaint of Iron Patriot.

When I was saying it's a repaint I was merely referring to it being the same as the Iron Patriot figure (but without the weapon) so it's being reused by Hot Toys as apose to a completely new figure being made..., I'm fully aware that Hot Rod is a proper suit & the prototype for the War Machine mark 2.0 (although why it's got the star in it's chest when War Machine doesn't, well that's another question)..., I'll be getting my Hot Rod figure next month & I'm very happy they chose to reuse the diecast figure. :)

That term came about as derogatory way to express dissatisfaction with a company.

Hasbro caught a little heat but the main culprit was McFarlane.

His figures were not beholden to specific color schemes and he took a lot of artistic license in his designs. He would often re-release the exact same figure with different colors and some cases did it up to 6 -7 times.

This pissed off collectors because they wanted original figures.

In the case of Hot Rod, Hot Toys has to be screen accurate or they will get hammered.

It's not their fault that Hot Rod used the same body as IP, just as it is not their fault Gamma and Striker use the same body.

Saying Hot Toys is lazy or "just" trying to cash in on the figure by re-painting it is not in the spirit of the term.

I should now, I was around before it was used in this context.

BTW: "semantics" and "context" are 2 very different things.

That term came about as derogatory way to express dissatisfaction with a company.

Hasbro caught a little heat but the main culprit was McFarlane.

His figures were not beholden to specific color schemes and he took a lot of artistic license in his designs. He would often re-release the exact same figure with different colors and some cases did it up to 6 -7 times.

This pissed off collectors because they wanted original figures.

In the case of Hot Rod, Hot Toys has to be screen accurate or they will get hammered.

It's not their fault that Hot Rod used the same body as IP, just as it is not their fault Gamma and Striker use the same body.

Saying Hot Toys is lazy or "just" trying to cash in on the figure by re-painting it is not in the spirit of the term.

I should now, I was around before it was used in this context.

BTW: "semantics" and "context" are 2 very different things.

Obviously with McFarlane, the toys sold else the colorways would not have continued. Collectors get overly possessive with collections and figure lines. Colorways suit companies just fine. Look at threeA, they allow collectors to customize their collections and individualize based on preference. Do they do that to sell more toys? No. They have a decided number to manufacture and it gets made. Different strokes for different folks. If you don't like the variants, don't buy them. Vote with your wallet.

IM1.jpg

....... If you don't like the variants, don't buy them.....

You summed up a the idea of a the original intent behind the used of re-paint. It was a variant of the original figure.

Most of the time is wasn't based on any image or story line. They just created a variant (repaint) of the same figure.

Some times they released repaints in very low numbers trying to create "chase" figures which were derived from collectable cards which had "chase" cards.

I had many collectors that bought an entire case of Spawn Figures to get try and get the Chase figure.

It drove completest crazy.

When Hot Toys releases Gamma, a lot of novice collectors are going to accuse them of being lazy when they aren't. They are just releasing another screen accurate figure, it's not their fault that it shares the same body as Striker.

Here is a perfect example what I am talking about:

RARE McFarlane Spawn 3" Trading Figure Series 2 Complete Set 2 Variants | eBay

Last edited:
I don't understand why people complain about repaints really when they are proper suits, I like Heartbreaker for instance & I totally want Tank too (yes it's basically the same figure but it's not too), the same goes for Blue Steel as well..., despite it being Silver Centurion in blue I still want one as it's an actual suit..., I'd like every HPP suit basically (regardless of whether it's just another suit in a different colour or a genuinely different look). :)

Back