1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, on the bright side - Hot Toys accidentally giving Farmboy Luke an ESB lightsaber just means I can have my Bespin Luke wielding a sweet LED saber. :lightsabe

I don't plan on posing ANH Luke with a lightsaber anyway. The figure overall looks solid. The hair color is definitely off, though. I am just not feeling the sculpts on Han or Ben, but something about this Luke feels right. 90% there. Bring on Leia!

I'll ask again, how can people argue about likeness issues and accuracy but not weapon accuracy? How are you fan enough to drop $200+ on figures but not fan enough to know there were multiple costume and weapon differences?

Just curious....

Thanks for your time.

No one needs to justify anything to anyone. Not everyone has the time or patience to stare at artwork and movie stills, but they do have the money to buy a representation of their favorite characters. That's all that matters, I think.

If it looks good then it's good.

Yeah, the sculpt on this is a lot better than "Han". They even made Luke's Farmboy garb a nice cream color. Too bad they didn't do that with their Han Solo.

Like Pixel said. If they lighten the hair/change the color, I think it would bring out the likeness of Hamill even more. They're really, really close with this one. Between Sideshow Rebel Pilot Luke (if the final product lives up to, or close to that gorgeous prototype) and this Hot Toys Farmboy Luke, '77 Luke Skywalker is getting represented pretty damn well.

Am I the only one that would buy his Landspeeder in 1/6 scale? I think even without Ben and the droids, that would make for an awesome addition for this figure. That was one of my favorite vehicles to play with when I was a kid. It'd be a cool way to replicate the original opening.

image.jpg

The hat should be the exclusive since it was a deleted scene and the storm trooper belt should already be included. Ugh SS why do you torture us collectors.

Still a great piece

this figure looks beautiful but then again, this is the prototype and form there to the time it hits the shelves... we know this by heart now.

Am I the only one that would buy his Landspeeder in 1/6 scale?

Pff, everyone would buy that! Ok, not everyone, but it would probably sell better than the Delorean. I'd love one personally, but I don't want a $600 HT version.

$239.99.

Sideshow won't price this lower than their own Luke Pilot.

I can't see this being higher than Han Solo -- BUT maybe the stupid hat and goggles and poncho along with blast helmet and ball will make this $249.99.

I'll ask again, how can people argue about likeness issues and accuracy but not weapon accuracy? How are you fan enough to drop $200+ on figures but not fan enough to know there were multiple costume and weapon differences?

Just curious....

Thanks for your time.

The only reason I know about the lightsaber differences is because I was into prop replicas during the Master Replicas days. If I never got into that, there's little to no way I'd be able to tell you how the ANH and ESB hilts are different. You can like a character or a franchise without getting into the minutiae of how weapons change from movie to movie (especially when the story doesn't give you a reason to look for one, like the example here). Now, not being able to tell the ESB from the ROJ lightsaber is another matter.

Back to the figure, the prototype looks fantastic to me (save the hair color, which has been discussed ad nauseam). I don't have a ton of interest in ANH Luke, but if Leia turns out half as good, I may end up starting a Star Wars collection (again).

Just curious....

Thanks for your time.
Well, I've said this a few times but I guess no-one reads my posts! :gah:

For me, story continuity trumps replicating props. No-one was supposed to notice the actual prop changed between movies. It is supposed to be the SAME sabre. I don't care if ESB Bespin Luke has ANH's sabre or vice versa, but they should be the same since there's no reason to think Luke modified it. Same to me with HT adding those thumb prints on the Stormtroopers biceps. Either those were miscast or a way for the extras to know what went where. I don't need that sort of behind the scenes stuff replicated in 1:6.

Yeah, the sculpt on this is a lot better than "Han". They even made Luke's Farmboy garb a nice cream color. Too bad they didn't do that with their Han Solo.

Like Pixel said. If they lighten the hair/change the color, I think it would bring out the likeness of Hamill even more. They're really, really close with this one. Between Sideshow Rebel Pilot Luke (if the final product lives up to, or close to that gorgeous prototype) and this Hot Toys Farmboy Luke, '77 Luke Skywalker is getting represented pretty damn well.

Am I the only one that would buy his Landspeeder in 1/6 scale? I think even without Ben and the droids, that would make for an awesome addition for this figure. That was one of my favorite vehicles to play with when I was a kid. It'd be a cool way to replicate the original opening.

View attachment 187606

Agreed. I'd buy that also.

Just curious....

Thanks for your time.

No one has to be a fan to be able to say whether a sculpt of an actor's face looks accurate. It's ingrained in us to recognise or not recognise a human face - much less so to be able to say that Hot Toys messed up a lightsaber hilt.

I'm going to guess $229.99, same as Han Solo.

The $219 Batman Returns Batman surprised the hell out of me. I thought it would be more. I definitely think Luke will be in the $220s/$230s. The irony will be that it will be less than Sideshow's Pilot Luke. Maybe I'll be wrong.

The hair paint they did on Bespin Luke is incredible -- silky and shiny and all, like he just shampoo'd. I hope they use that same trick.

Agreed... if they can do it for ESB they can do it here. And just look at the lovely blonde hair they've done on Thor :lecture

Well, I've said this a few times but I guess no-one reads my posts! :gah:

For me, story continuity trumps replicating props. No-one was supposed to notice the actual prop changed between movies. It is supposed to be the SAME sabre. I don't care if ESB Bespin Luke has ANH's sabre or vice versa, but they should be the same since there's no reason to think Luke modified it. Same to me with HT adding those thumb prints on the Stormtroopers biceps. Either those were miscast or a way for the extras to know what went where. I don't need that sort of behind the scenes stuff replicated in 1:6.

I don't know of anything that officially states that the lightsaber is unmodified between ANH and ESB. Maybe the grips got loose and Luke screwed them down... bubble strip got damaged so he replaced it with a less sweet looking circuit board.

Much like Anakin's lightsaber at the end of ROTS is not the same one as Luke got in ANH

LukeChanges1.jpg

They are different, subtley sure, but different and any high end collectible is capable of including the differences.

But, at the end of the day. If a company decides just one style of lightsaber than it should be accurate to the original IMO.

Last edited:
Why did I get pulled into your post, G-boy?

Because I'm engaging :lol :lecture

tumblr_nakt236i3f1ra11u8o8_400.gif

Oops, I thought you meant why did you get pulled into reading my post... I actually meant to respond to you about the hair and forgot :lol

But, I still contend that I am engaging :lecture

Just curious....

Thanks for your time.

Speaking for myself, I honestly don't pay that much attention to those details. As long as they get the colour right of the lightsaber, I would never notice if the handle was exactly as the one seen on screen. It's the same with guns, I wouldn't have a clue if it is exactly the same as used in the film.

When it comes to a head sculpt, that is the key thing that is going to make you recognize who the figure is a representation of. If the sculpt is way off, I'm not going to care if the outfit is dead on accurate.
The Keaton Bruce Wayne head is way off and I wouldn't buy it as it currently stands. However if the Batman weapons are off, that really isn't going to prevent me from buying the figure. That sort of detail is just not important for me.

When I look at the HT Vader figure, all I see is Darth Vader. I can't tell if the helmet isn't exactly as seen in ANH because it still looks like Darth Vader's helmet to me. I'm sure 95% of the population that has ever heard of Star Wars is going to instantly recognize HT Vader as being exactly that. However they're certainly not going to look at the Luke figure and say that the lightsaber is from the wrong film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed... if they can do it for ESB they can do it here...

I don't know of anything that officially states that the lightsaber is unmodified between ANH and ESB. Maybe the grips got loose and Luke screwed them down... bubble strip got damaged so he replaced it with a less sweet looking circuit board.

Much like Anakin's lightsaber at the end of ROTS is not the same one as Luke got in ANH

LukeChanges1.jpg

They are different, subtley sure, but different and any high end collectible is capable of including the differences.

But, at the end of the day. If a company decides just one style of lightsaber than it should be accurate to the original IMO.

You're right!!!

Cancelled.

Back