1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironic how a 20+ year old model kit can ' out Vader' the likes of certain manufacturers I've been told not to mention....
S x

What's even more impressive is that a fellow board member has created from scratch a Vader mask sculpt that outdoes every single other 1/6 incarnation of the mask.:dunno

What's even more impressive is that a fellow board member has created from scratch a Vader mask sculpt that outdoes every single other 1/6 incarnation of the mask.:dunno

Except ours perhaps , (and yes we would like one-off davejames)....dependant on your point of view I'd say as I'm very biased ours or Hs' is the most accurate in all ways from the crown downwards , we have a 20th century fox ESB Full size helmet and I know it's been measured and re measured and mid numbingly studied...and his lordship added all the missing details using photo acid techniques so we have the complete package inside and out ., I'm sure you'll abuse me for this but we've included some aspects that the VERY talented Mr James has omitted but as you say from scratch it is unsurpassed .
Mrs Hurricane xx

Last edited:
Sorry for my steam off, I just get vader stuffed down my throat a lot by my better half and I've kind of grown to know some of the character quite well . We do nothing until the current vaderville commissions are completed , tho we are doing a 501st sandtrooper for the G to troop in as a break from , you guessed it Darth vader . I meant no offence above just ............ It's a woman thing
S x

That's right,and the crotch armor

Yeah, it really is the best Vader I've seen (I love every pic or it) but I guess it technically shouldn't be in this thread where a new member might come in and think it's a modded SSC DX Vader, when it really is pretty much a full custom that has a few parts from it.

It's funny to think of the new DX Vader owner newb coming in here and asking "what do I need to do to make mine look like that?" The answer is very complicated (and expensive.):lol

Maybe create a new thread for it in the Customs section so all the pics and details are together in a showcase rather than interspersed with the DX Vader mods and pics. That way others (such as me...) can use it as a handy reference tool.

It's the same with ECZ's Kaiyodo mask mods - it's a pity it's mixed in with "how to tweak the DX cape" and "how to lower the DX dome" type postings. It deserves its own thread.

Except ours perhaps , (and yes we would like one-off davejames)....dependant on your point of view I'd say as I'm very biased ours or Hs' is the most accurate in all ways from the crown downwards , we have a 20th century fox ESB Full size helmet and I know it's been measured and re measured and mid numbingly studied...and his lordship added all the missing details using photo acid techniques so we have the complete package inside and out ., I'm sure you'll abuse me for this but we've included some aspects that the VERY talented Mr James has omitted but as you say from scratch it is unsurpassed .
Mrs Hurricane xx

I'm just amazed that he created that with some clay and sculpting tools and in an overall sense it is close to a bullseye.

...point is , there is a growing number of sculptors/customisers that can creat a better vader than 'companies' that charge ALOT of money..... H has a theory that lucasfilm won't allow anything but how Lucas wanted vader to look , hence no wonkiness or asymmetry
S x

Thanks Talibane. And for what it's worth, I really like Hurricane's Vader as well. In fact it was a big inspiration behind trying to make my own. :)

Now... what the hell happened to the Hoth Han thread?? I finally order the damn figure and the next day the thread gets closed so I can't talk about it anymore! Lol

It's funny to think of the new DX Vader owner newb coming in here and asking "what do I need to do to make mine look like that?" The answer is very complicated (and expensive.):lol

"-Well, first you buy the SSC DX Vader and remove the belt from it. then you throw the rest in the bin.. " :lol

If I remember correctly it already happened a few weeks ago in one of the Vader-threads that someone looked at the heavily modded Vader "Kaiyodo-style" and said that he(she?) didn't understand the complaining about the SSC Vader when it looks as good as that, or something to that effect. Most amusing.

Lol, yeah I'd say we've really taken the "modification" thing pretty far with this figure. With all new masks, all new capes and tunics, different bodies, the use of old model kits and old Hasbro helmets and old Sideshow body suits....

Hard to think of many other figures out there that have required this much work to make look right.

H
Lol, yeah I'd say we've really taking the "modification" thing pretty far with this figure. With all new masks, all new capes and tunics, different bodies, the use of old model kits and old Hasbro helmets and old Sideshow body suits....

Hard to think of many other figures out there that have required this much work to make look right.

And it cost how much in the first place?
S x

No matter what something looks like, there are costs in its development and production, I still don't understand why some people expect things they don't like or appreciate to be priced much lower or simply given away.

No matter what something looks like, there are costs in its development and production, I still don't understand why some people expect things they don't like or appreciate to be priced much lower or simply given away.

I read this twice and still don't understand it. You will need to paypal me $5 if you want me to continue re-reading.

I read this twice and still don't understand it. You will need to paypal me $5 if you want me to continue re-reading.

No problem! But I've only got $20 right now, so if you first send me $50 I can use some math to make it happen.

We are virtually giving away some of our very late commissions because to us or him, it's about pride.And don't mention R&D we could bore you with how much we/he invested in what's made for instance I seem to recall the numerous cathode tube things that got ordered tested and binned because they weren't suitable , in the end having to get the generator thing designed and made bespoke .So in a nutshell a lot of customisers have minimal £££ oops sorry $$$$$ to get something right or right in their eyes where as sideshow have considerably bigger budgets more man power etc etc yet they ..........failed with Vader to even knock the ball back to the pitcher.Tell me I'm completely wrong and I'll eat the toys I just chucked out of my pram
Disgruntled S x

I understand your points, I've been involved in design, engineering and sales for a few decades, but I still don't know what they have to do with what I wrote.

I'm sure Sideshow has the capability to make a fully movie-accurate Vader if they wanted to. But they obviously figured most customers would be happy with something that just generally captured the character, and didn't go any further than that.

Ultimately we just have to accept that most paying customers out there aren't nearly as obsessed with detail and accuracy as we here in this forum are.

Back