12" Aragorn Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem FrodoEyes, your comments are welcome. Any criticism is better for any customizer. I will probably do something about the inner coat and the coat itself to make it a bit slimer.

My Aragorn.
He's on a true type and head repainted.
I have weathered the clothes pretty heavily to remove the shine from the coat and give him a real worn look.
He's with my custom Gimli.

IMG_4845.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

IMG_4853.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

dude, your aragorn is amazing. just like everything else you touch! is aragorn on the narrows shouldered TT or a regular one? LOVE the weathering. any chance i could commission you to do a gimli like that for me? PM me bro, if you can.

Wow, that repaint and weathering of Aragorn look fantastic!
My only comment would be to reposition his hair a bit, as the hairline looks a bit high right now.
Awesome Gimli!

they're both mine. Pics of the same thing. The sculpt is really good in my opinion... what I did was take the hair of (difficult... but worth it), then I painted the whole head from scratch. Sprayed it with white primer... and literally started from the ground up. You might be able to get away with just painting parts though.

Bits to look for are the eyebrows (should be thinner), the beard (make sure it's the right shape, and right thickness/thinness in the correct places) and the eyes (make them lesss doll-like... give them a bit more life)

I don't really have any more tips as I always find it hard explaining 'how' to paint something, as I just kinf of.... do it. It's different every time for me, even when painting multiples of the same head. I paint them as if it's an oil painting portrait on a canvas (what I used to do). The important thing is to get lots of reference pictures of whatever actor you're trying to do... then compare it to the toy. Hold it up to the screen and figure out what's different, and why.

This should help you figure out what you need to do. Good luck. :rock

Darren really is right. I recently repainted mine and it came out looking much better. Not as good as his, of course, but much better than the original.

I think there's a new custom sculpted head coming out soon...RedPlanetToys I believe...that looks pretty spot on, I may replace mine with that one when the time comes.

they're both mine. Pics of the same thing. The sculpt is really good in my opinion... what I did was take the hair of (difficult... but worth it), then I painted the whole head from scratch. Sprayed it with white primer... and literally started from the ground up. You might be able to get away with just painting parts though.

Bits to look for are the eyebrows (should be thinner), the beard (make sure it's the right shape, and right thickness/thinness in the correct places) and the eyes (make them lesss doll-like... give them a bit more life)

I don't really have any more tips as I always find it hard explaining 'how' to paint something, as I just kinf of.... do it. It's different every time for me, even when painting multiples of the same head. I paint them as if it's an oil painting portrait on a canvas (what I used to do). The important thing is to get lots of reference pictures of whatever actor you're trying to do... then compare it to the toy. Hold it up to the screen and figure out what's different, and why.

This should help you figure out what you need to do. Good luck. :rock

I think you should just repaint mine so you can show him step by step how you did it. :D ;)

one day I will do a step by step tutorial thing on how I paint heads. Problem is that I do it on the fly... each one is different and I just go by eye. Much like how I do oil paintings... so there's no real pattern, but it would give some pointers on how I go about things, then people could use whatever tips they pick up and make their own way of doing things.

I'll do that. One day. When I'm not busy. In the future. Sometime.

Eventually.

Aragorn is one figure I really need to get repainted... the factory Apps were so dull and lifeless. Amazing how much better he can look under the brush of a talented artist.

one day I will do a step by step tutorial thing on how I paint heads. Problem is that I do it on the fly... each one is different and I just go by eye. Much like how I do oil paintings... so there's no real pattern, but it would give some pointers on how I go about things, then people could use whatever tips they pick up and make their own way of doing things.

I'll do that. One day. When I'm not busy. In the future. Sometime.

Eventually.

PM your addy so I can send mine's head to you.

:D ;)

Darren,

How did you go about removing the hair? Also does the whole hair dryer method work for removing SS Buck heads? Thanks.

Back