1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me... It looks like Han Solo in the publicity stills, unmistakably. Looks nothing like Ruffalo and I think the pics posted earlier prove that, I think it's a stretch. They both have full lips and dark hair but the eyes and nose and facial structure are completely different. Wait I have full lips too an dark hair to...does that mean... Nah no way ;)

I don't think when people say it looks like Mark Ruffalo they mean it's a dead ringer for Ruffalo, but rather they see hints of that along with Ford. But when we look at Harrison Ford in Star Wars we don't see any hints of Ruffalo. Hence the problem. People see Jim Morrison in this sculpt too. When people are seeing that many hints of other people there's probably a reason.
The SS Hoth Han may have issues, but for the most part people aren't seeing any other actors in the sculpt.

I don't think it looks much like Ruffalo per se, but I do think it's got a ways to go before it's truly Ford.

That's very negative of you Marker? You like the Sideshow Solo right?

Whilst the likeness is undeniably off, I think it looks enough like a stylised Solo to keep me happy, and it's a beautiful looking figure.

Yeah, this is about 70% Han Solo, 100% Jim Morrison dressed up like Han Solo.

I see Guttenberg, I see Stamos, I see Ruffalo, but Morrison is the most compelling.

2n1vqc5.png

honestly, the fact that this conversation has been going on since the fig was unveiled says the sculpt isn't close enough. C'mon - this is HOT TOYS doing HAN SOLO. It has to be close to 100%. This isn't. Gorgeous sculpt, incredibly life-like, awesome paint, but it just isn't immediately recognizable as Han Solo if you take that head and put it on a generic suit/tie body.

I don't think when people say it looks like Mark Ruffalo they mean it's a dead ringer for Ruffalo, but rather they see hints of that along with Ford. But when we look at Harrison Ford in Star Wars we don't see any hints of Ruffalo. Hence the problem. People see Jim Morrison in this sculpt too. When people are seeing that many hints of other people there's probably a reason.
The SS Hoth Han may have issues, but for the most part people aren't seeing any other actors in the sculpt.

I get that, I know people don't actually mean it looks just like Ruffalo. But in real life Ford, Ruffalo, Morrison, and Steve Gutenberg all have similar features, they all have distinct full lips, so it stands to reason people will see those things in the sculpt. I don't see Chris Pratt in the Starlord figure, everyone else seems to love it, but art is always subjective. The Obi Wan sculpt suffers the same way, it's dead on to a few stills but looks stylized overall. Bottom line to me it is a very good young Harrison Ford Han Solo.

I get that, I know people don't actually mean it looks just like Ruffalo. But in real life Ford, Ruffalo, Morrison, and Steve Gutenberg all have similar features, they all have distinct full lips, so it stands to reason people will see those things in the sculpt. I don't see Chris Pratt in the Starlord figure, everyone else seems to love it, but art is always subjective. The Obi Wan sculpt suffers the same way, it's dead on to a few stills but looks stylized overall. Bottom line to me it is a very good young Harrison Ford Han Solo.

I've never once watched Star Wars and thought, "Hey, Harrison Ford looks a bit like some other guy" - on the other hand, that's exactly what I thought when I first saw this sculpt.

I've never once watched Star Wars and thought, "Hey, Harrison Ford looks a bit like some other guy" - on the other hand, that's exactly what I thought when I first saw this sculpt.

Of course not... No one would. I am just saying they have similar features around their mouth areas. In a non living 1/6 scale sculpt those thing don't always translate as well as they should, so people see different things. could it be better... Yes, but it's Han Solo and even if it was spot on it wouldn't be good enough and we'd all still be complaining. In the end it doesn't matter to me, I don't collect 1/6 dolls... ;). I actually think the SS Hoth Han is a better sculpt. But this one is still good.

Of course not... No one would. I am just saying they have similar features around their mouth areas. In a non living 1/6 scale sculpt those thing don't always translate as well as they should, so people see different things. could it be better... Yes, but it's Han Solo and even if it was spot on it wouldn't be good enough and we'd all still be complaining. In the end it doesn't matter to me, I don't collect 1/6 dolls... ;). I actually think the SS Hoth Han is a better sculpt. But this one is still good.

Like I said earlier, it's acceptable to me - it has a couple of very decent angles to it. But I don't buy the whole "people would still be complaining no matter what it looked like" refrain. There are plenty of sculpts out there that people rave about. Unless there's some last minute tweaking though this won't be one of them.

I hear that a lot in defense of mediocrity. And it's not true.

It sort of infers that everyone on here is simply a whiner that ultimately knows nothing. And that's not true either.

In the end it does matter to me because I'm the guy with the $250 "good enough"/"acceptable" doll sweating over the arrival of the $300 2.0. Which I may also have to buy... until 3.0 comes along.

Could it be better?.... Hell. Yes.

Whether you like the sculpt or not - and I don't feel its a good likeness - I don't see a dashing, wisecracking young space pirate in that face, I see something a bit more intense and Han isn't intense until Empire, he's a load of fun in Star Wars.

Han might have become a bit more mature in ESB, but I don't know that I'd really call him "intense" at all. In fact through most of the movie he's the same smartassy, wisecracking character we saw in ANH.

Back