1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming it must have been a really tight deadline or something. Or maybe they thought the original sculpt worked, and it wasn't until the castings were painted up and the PERS installed that it suddenly became apparent how off it all was. But by then it was too late to do anything.

Still though, I do see a resemblance to the Indy in this pic, where he looks a bit meaner and nastier than usual:

indy.jpg

I just don't think it's the ideal look for a 1/6 Indy unfortunately.

The PERS did affect the sculpt - Rorywan was offering mods based on shaving down the mechanism I think. It did look a lot better, but there were still issues with the lips especially.

The unfortunate angle of the hat in that photo doesn't help, it screams 'nineteen eighties' rather than 'nineteen thirties'.

I remember the disappointment like it was yesterday. That sculpt was so awful that nobody could believe that it wasn't tweaked when it was sent out. Right up 'til the last minute people were thinking that even though HT hadn't released pics of a revised sculpt, that we'd be opening the box to a surprise home run. It's Hot Toys! It's Arnie Kim! We can't see it under the tree, but we're getting a new bike for Christmas, we can just feel it!

And then...

IMGP9945.JPG

No bike. Just a pair of socks and an ugly sweater. Be prepared for a pair of undies folks.

Ahhh yeah good times! The same situation was happening around the same time with Reeve Superman if I remember correctly. And they fixed it. Annnd i believe Kim sculpted that one as well. It was like he was the hero and then the villain in a matter of seconds.:lol

He's never been that photogenic, but every so often you get the lighting and angle juuuuuust right ...

2011-10-18203907.jpg

2011-10-18204931.jpg

The trick is to capture the flesh tone and minimize the guyliner.

Ahhh yeah good times! The same situation was happening around the same time with Reeve Superman if I remember correctly. And they fixed it. Annnd i believe Kim sculpted that one as well. It was like he was the hero and then the villain in a matter of seconds.:lol

I feel bummed about all the crap people hung on Kim for that one fail. I'm not sure how much truth there is in it, but it was rumoured that Kim wasn't satisfied with Indy and wanted to rework it - but the money men were happy enough and signed off on it. Another rumour was that CR Supes was going to be a DX but PERS presented the same issues, and they went with a standard MMS sculpt. Kim has done some stellar sculpts in his time.

I think the DX05 is an incredible sculpt, just screwed up a little by Hot Toys. Get rid of the guy liner and a few other easy little tweaks and it can look very impressive.

005_1_zpsd0f406fd.jpg

What other tweaks did you do? That looks pretty good.

Cheers.

Removed the PERS box and lost some width on it. When you pop it back in, the face is not quite so wide.

Used an eraser on the eyebrows to lighten them up. You can also use an eraser on the guy liner as it's actually the correct color underneath, so why they went over it with black is beyond me.

Hrm, you're right, sounds like it didn't take much to throw it off!

Also, going back through the Indy DX thread there are some good pics, some bad pics, lots of the usual claims of the figure looking better in-hand and also that the guyliner is actually shadow not paint.

Is it indisputable the figure is a fail - or do I not wanna open that can of worms again (especially in a different thread)?

Last edited:
First flex payment came out today... Did this really get pushed back to Q3? According to that HT release schedule it did. However, on SS it still says April.

First flex payment came out today... Did this really get pushed back to Q3? According to that HT release schedule it did. However, on SS it still says April.

Did it get pushed back? What HT release schedule?

TBH I thought the April release date sounded very optimistic. I figured it would be delayed a couple of months.

Did it get pushed back? What HT release schedule?

TBH I thought the April release date sounded very optimistic. I figured it would be delayed a couple of months.
Here you go:

Hi guys

Thanks for watching

Personally I'm fine with it getting pushed back but hope SSC does so at the last minute. :p I just prefer having all but one or two payments complete before they do.

Back