1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all about the photography...

183.jpg
Man, brilliant. But yeah, HT's looks so much better than that. To each their own, I guess!

D
Ha, ha, ha...

All this talk about incredible figures and photography reminds me of a story.

A man walks into a zoo. Once inside he realizes that there is only one animal in the entire zoo. A dog. It's a s hitzhu...

I'll be here all week!

I'll start the car...

matrix... these pics are a scandal. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

View attachment 229203

View attachment 229204

View attachment 229206

View attachment 229208

Impressive work!

From my point of view, the CCFL sabers need a dimmer, but that pretty much solves the "too bright" issue for me!

Indeed! So cool thanks for sharing:clap

Excellent pics, para and matrix. :duff

The sabers do resemble Jolly Ranchers. :lol

54f927f86e61e_-_jolly-ranchers-candy-del-blog.jpg

Matrix Vader is hands down the best esb vader ùi've ever seen and probably the best ot vader I've ever seen! Impressive figure!

Many thanks:) :lsvader

Man, brilliant. But yeah, HT's looks so much better than that. To each their own, I guess!

Oh, don't get me wrong. I've got HT Vader shipping on the 23rd.

The pic was just showing how a longer exposure really brings out the beauty in light-up sabers and makes them look solid and bright.

But that is CCFL and not an LED with photo trickery, rubio? Because it matches in-hand my impressions with CCFL (i.e., tip is way less noticable in person than pics would indicate... that criticism I find is kind of annoying given the alternatives). I was being a bit sarcastic in my previous post in regards to HT's sabre looking "better". Really I feel there is no comparison between LED and CCFL, so I'd prefer they didn't try -- especially if it degrades the figure (wonky gloves). CCFLs can always be put on a dimmer, if anyone finds them too bright. Still way more even light than any LED.

But that is CCFL and not an LED with photo trickery, rubio? Because it matches in-hand my impressions with CCFL (i.e., tip is way less noticable in person than pics would indicate... that criticism I find is kind of annoying given the alternatives). I was being a bit sarcastic in my previous post in regards to HT's sabre looking "better". Really I feel there is no comparison between LED and CCFL, so I'd prefer they didn't try -- especially if it degrades the figure (wonky gloves). CCFLs can always be put on a dimmer, if anyone finds them too bright. Still way more even light than any LED.

I've seen you mention the trade off a couple times now, but I don't get the impression the gloves are necessarily related to the light-up saber. It's just a wire running from the saber through the hand that could have been done with a full glove/gauntlet just as easily.

I'm assuming the gloves are the way they are as a trade-off of having to switch out the forearm. Otherwise I don't understand the design choice. Maybe ESB will have both sculpted hands and an LED sabre. That'd work for me also.

I've seen you mention the trade off a couple times now, but I don't get the impression the gloves are necessarily related to the light-up saber. It's just a wire running from the saber through the hand that could have been done with a full glove/gauntlet just as easily.

:goodpost:

Yea... I don't think it's fair to blame the gloves on the LED Saber, it's completely unrelated.

I also have to disagree that the feature is a waste of time. I myself wrote this off as a gimmick I thought I would never use until I got Ben Kenobi in hand and now I love it. I am very glad they did this and this, along with the helmet, were a major selling point in deciding to upgrade to Hot Toys from my Sideshow Vader. I think the lightsabers are executed very well on these figures.

I'm assuming the gloves are the way they are as a trade-off of having to switch out the forearm. Otherwise I don't understand the design choice. Maybe ESB will have both sculpted hands and an LED sabre. That'd work for me also.

That's what I am hoping for too :pray:

Yeah, I think that's what we're all hoping for. I don't think I'm a fan of light-up sabers in general, but that's just personal and I think the execution with the LEDs isn't bad, so I would also take good looking gloves over the saber if it came down to that. Seeing both in hand, the LED is well done but doesn't read to me as a real saber, whereas the CCFL does, but the CCFL has its own drawbacks--has to be wired up, the unlit tip, possibly too bright (it casts the entire detolf in the colored light).

No CCFL. It's the LED saber that came with the Medicom Darth Vader V2, just with a longer exposure time on the camera. No PhotoShop or anything like that. All in-camera.

Yeah, I think that's what we're all hoping for. I don't think I'm a fan of light-up sabers in general, but that's just personal and I think the execution with the LEDs isn't bad, so I would also take good looking gloves over the saber if it came down to that. Seeing both in hand, the LED is well done but doesn't read to me as a real saber, whereas the CCFL does, but the CCFL has its own drawbacks--has to be wired up, the unlit tip, possibly too bright (it casts the entire detolf in the colored light).
Definitely HT's sabres are the best mass market to date and CCFL have their drawbacks. My experience is the unlit tip is perceived as a bigger problem than it really is because of how noticable it is in photographs, though. In person the light emitted from the sabre kind of blows it out and I like the intensity (even dimmed down).

No CCFL. It's the LED saber that came with the Medicom Darth Vader V2, just with a longer exposure time on the camera. No PhotoShop or anything like that. All in-camera.
*whistles* Could've sworn that was a CCFL photographed in such a way as to minimize the unlit tip (making it closer to how it looks in-hand). Nice job, regardless. My journey for a representative CCFL sabre pic continues...

Last edited:
*whistles* Could've sworn that was a CCFL photographed in such a way as to minimize the unlit tip (making it closet to how it looks in-hand). Nice job, regardless. My journey for a representative CCFL sabre pic continues...

Thanks, Sol. I'm really looking forward to the Hot Toys' Vader. Photographing lightsabers is fun.

I'll be able to get the same effect with Hot Toys, I'm sure. Here's another (I just love showing these off):

092.jpg

I just got an early processing notice for Vader for the 17th.

I may have this guy before Christmas after all.

Back