1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't fiddled with the belt yet, or even taken a close look at it. I could be very wrong, but I do suspect that many people whose belts are tearing are simply not being careful or patient enough. I started out with military figures, where a typical build would take 2 hours and involve several instruments (ie tweezers etc).

I also suspect the ones whose belts were breaking were the ones trying to mod their figures. If you leave it alone, it should be fine. :lol

^^yeah, I think I only read of one or two broken straight out of the box. I'm such a wimp that I secured a second belt before moving the boxes, and then had no problem. Though I noticed how thin the belt was while doing so.

I also suspect the ones whose belts were breaking were the ones trying to mod their figures. If you leave it alone, it should be fine. :lol

That's totally true, if you don't touch it there's zero chance it'll get damaged. :lol

In all seriousness, I would argue that folks that modify their figures are probably extra careful. These figures ain't cheap, you're taking a big chance modding your figure in the first place.

I can't speak for others, but I was extremely careful moving my belt boxes, because I read that the belt was delicate, and I still managed to make a tiny tear and a small scuff on mine. I've worked with these kinds of belts many times, and I have a certain level of expectation when it comes to dealing with them. The belt is absolutely more delicate than similar Hot Toys faux leather belts.

I would say that being careful is no guarantee of avoiding damage. Be prepared to have to replace or repair the belt if you futz with it in any way whatsoever.

I'm not terribly worried about my belt, It'll be more durable, have a more secure closure, and be more accurate when I'm done modifying it.

I can honestly say I'm having the most fun modifying this figure than any other I've owned.

After some research I noticed that theres a very rough texture on the underside of Vader's dome, maybe they are impressions left from finger, and sculpting tools.

Darth-vader-1.jpg

So I decided to take my Dremel, and use the rounded grinding tool to replicate it.

Inside Vader Dome 4.jpgInside Vader Dome 5.jpg

Here's how it turned out.

Inside Vader Dome 6.jpg

It's subtle, but Vader's ANH helmet is made of a million of these subtle little details, it's what i love about his design in this film.

Inside Vader Dome 7.jpg

Last edited:
That's totally true, if you don't touch it there's zero chance it'll get damaged. :lol

In all seriousness, I would argue that folks that modify their figures are probably extra careful. These figures ain't cheap, you're taking a big chance modding your figure in the first place.

I can't speak for others, but I was extremely careful moving my belt boxes, because I read that the belt was delicate, and I still managed to make a tiny tear and a small scuff on mine. I've worked with these kinds of belts many times, and I have a certain level of expectation when it comes to dealing with them. The belt is absolutely more delicate than similar Hot Toys faux leather belts.

I would say that being careful is no guarantee of avoiding damage. Be prepared to have to replace or repair the belt if you futz with it in any way whatsoever.

I'm not terribly worried about my belt, It'll be more durable, have a more secure closure, and be more accurate when I'm done modifying it.

I can honestly say I'm having the most fun modifying this figure than any other I've owned.

Ah no I agree, I have no doubt that people are very careful when they mod their figures. Even when you're extremely careful though, there are sometimes some parts that are just so delicate and fragile that they do easily break if you simply sneeze on them. While what I said is totally true regarding parts not breaking if you simply leave it alone, I was also only jesting. :lol

I remember one poster describing it as being the yin and the yang of OCD when it comes to these figures. Some people have OCD to the point where they have to mod the crap out of their figures because they want their expensive collectible to look as utterly perfect as possible, while others are too afraid to touch their figures because they don't want to ruin their expensive collectible.

I felt that pretty much summed it up. :lol

Haha!

Yeah that's a perfect way to put it!

I always say that if I don't try to mod my figures as perfect as I can the Leprechaun that lives in my eyebrow makes me burn things.

87c83799db2d59a610fb8332e6a76403.jpg

Sent from my Motherbox PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING

I personally tend to be on the other end in that I generally like to keep my figures stock.

For one, as mentioned, it lowers the risk of anything breaking. I also like to keep them stock so I can see the differences in various renditions of a character if I have multiples of them. I also generally don't like to mix and match parts because I like to keep everything as it came with any particular figure. I wouldn't take a ANH Luke sculpt for instance and stick it on a DX07 body, even if I thought it was better. :lol

I like to keep my stuff stock too, or at least reversible mods.

But the mods here look so cool...

They do indeed.

I'm the same way with mods though if I do mod something. I always leave the option that I can put it back how it originally came if I want to.

I'm such a wimp that I secured a second belt before moving the boxes, and then had no problem. Though I noticed how thin the belt was while doing so.

I did exactly the same!! :lol I pre-ordered this guy late, so had to wait for the 2nd batch. After reading all the dilemmas people were having with the belt, I decided to buy a parted out one from TA before I received mine so if I did have an issue I had a backup while trying to get it sorted out with a replacement with Sideshow... But I had no troubles at all. The belt on the boxed figure came off easily, and I was even able to slide the belt boxes slightly over the velcro with no troubles at all!! Although it was a bit nerve racking from what I had read, I just took my time and got them nice and close to the buckle. That's all I did to him, move up the cod piece and re-adjust belt. I'm more than happy with how it looks with those simple adjustments. Only way I would ever try all these awesome mods here is if I had the cash to buy a 2nd figure. I too like to be able to compare with my other Vader's.

WTC , that is another nice little touch you've added there. I had toyed with the idea of doing that to mine- the fibreglass matting leaves a nice texture underneath the dome. It's another little feature that when photographed adds authenticity to the look. Can't wait to see the rest of your figure !

After moving the belt and cod piece up, this figure shines out of the box. The mods that folks have done look great as well. I can't believe this is my third vader, medi, SS Deluxe and now this one which is the best so far. Fortunately sold off the last two and hope HT does a ROTJ one.

So is anyone else in the UK waiting for one of these still?

the suspense is killing me, especially when looking at everyones great photos. Come on! Can't wait to get my vader...

After some research I noticed that theres a very rough texture on the underside of Vader's dome, maybe they are impressions left from finger, and sculpting tools.

View attachment 260611

So I decided to take my Dremel, and use the rounded grinding tool to replicate it.

View attachment 260598View attachment 260599

Here's how it turned out.

View attachment 260601

It's subtle, but Vader's ANH helmet is made of a million of these subtle little details, it's what i love about his design in this film.

View attachment 260600

The texture you see inside the dome is actually raw fiberglass, like paulcarson stated above ... It is a distinct look and something most people probably only subconsciously are aware of.....

I haven't fiddled with the belt yet, or even taken a close look at it. I could be very wrong, but I do suspect that many people whose belts are tearing are simply not being careful or patient enough. I started out with military figures, where a typical build would take 2 hours and involve several instruments (ie tweezers etc).

Mine was torn straight from the get go, the right hand Velcro pad glue had detached from the belt itself, and I'm assuming the weight of the belt box moving in transit was enough to tear where the buckle attaches.

I know that this was answered already in this thread but I can't find it, can someone please tell me the type and size of the screwdrivers needed to open up Vader? -Thanks again.

[/QUOTE]
I know that this was answered already in this thread but I can't find it, can someone please tell me the type and size of the screwdrivers needed to open up Vader? -Thanks again.

I used used a precision screwdriver #00 from ace hardware. Works on Vader to iron man to the remote for your car when you need batteries changed there too. I think it's ace hardware item 2167138. The top rotates to so when u screw things u can add pressure pushing down as needed but also easily turn the screwdriver at the same time as well.

just checked aceharware.com. Put that number in the search box and there it is. $4.99. Should be good to go...

Last edited:
Back