Hot Toys - MMS 68 - The Dark Knight - 1/6th scale The JOKER collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the movie (at least from what we've seen) and under the make-up, Heath's face contorts so much during his performance that in some scenes you couldn't even see Heath under the clown make-up. So I'll still give HT tons of credit even if the sculpt isn't exact, it's still incredible.

Its just so sad that the figure is fabulous but looks absolutely NOTHING like Heath. Just seems like a totally different person!

HeathJoker.png

This doesn't even look like Heath Ledger, so I'm not too worried. ;)

All true, but if you look at DA81's head, it looks like Joker and Heath at the same time. I hate to keep bringing it up, but his head blows the HT one right out of the water. And his tweaks here and there as he finished them up bring out the likeness even more. HT may have the superior figure, but they do not have the superior head.

Maybe HT will redo the headsculpt by the time these come out? Until then, the DA Joker head wins hands down.

If only Josh could produce or buy those clothes without making his figure as expensive as the HT one. That is Josh's only shortcoming with the figure, he wants to get it to us at a decent price!!:lol

The DC sculpt is the most accurate because it's a facial scan of Ledger. Put a repaint on that one and toss on the Hot Toys hair and body and you'll have your accurate Joker.

All true, but if you look at DA81's head, it looks like Joker and Heath at the same time. I hate to keep bringing it up, but his head blows the HT one right out of the water. And his tweaks here and there as he finished them up bring out the likeness even more. HT may have the superior figure, but they do not have the superior head.

Maybe HT will redo the headsculpt by the time these come out? Until then, the DA Joker head wins hands down.

If only Josh could produce or buy those clothes without making his figure as expensive as the HT one. That is Josh's only shortcoming with the figure, he wants to get it to us at a decent price!!:lol

I completely disagree.

Well, I guess we all have to reserve judgement til we see the movie and get these figures on hand.

Would it be better to wait out and see if HT does a "battle damage" joker with funked up makeup and hair, machine gun, etc... just like his latest poster?

Now that's a mean joker worth getting i reckon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYMDDO65lZI - "HIT ME!"

HeathJoker.png

This doesn't even look like Heath Ledger, so I'm not too worried. ;)

Yup, Heath's look in the film is definitely a challenge for sculptors, which really make the DCD a bit of a copout effort to just use a scan, particularly when they had Andy working on the rest of it, they should have let him sculpt it all, would have been better than a generic 3D scan. There are times in the movie where Ledger as the Joker doesn't look like Ledger. Not to mention, it seems a large part of reference for the clothes was promo shots, so perhaps same goes for the sculpt and paint apps, and we haven't seen all the promo images so maybe this sculpt is more dead on to their reference material but we haven't seen it so we can't compare.

HeathJoker.png

13DK_TheJoker_12inches.jpg

HT's sculpt looks like TDK Joker to me. Maybe a bit too prominent laugh lines is all.
All he needs is a little bit of a flesh tone wash and he's there.

I'm with everyone who says that the Joker in the film really doesn't even look like Heath Ledger at all. I've tried staring at multiple shots, but (except for a few) I can't see him under all of that makeup. If I didn't know it was him, I'd never figure it out.

So for me, the HT Joker looks just fine. Better than fine actually, and I can't wait to get him and Batman on my shelf.

Question...do you think the Bale head will be compatible with the Prometheus body? If so, hopefully they'll sell them separately like the Buck body, and a customized Bruce Wayne figure can be made.

I'm with everyone who says that the Joker in the film really doesn't even look like Heath Ledger at all. I've tried staring at multiple shots, but (except for a few) I can't see him under all of that makeup. If I didn't know it was him, I'd never figure it out.

So for me, the HT Joker looks just fine. Better than fine actually, and I can't wait to get him and Batman on my shelf.

Question...do you think the Bale head will be compatible with the Prometheus body? If so, hopefully they'll sell them separately like the Buck body, and a customized Bruce Wayne figure can be made.

Currently no plans to sell the Prometheus body separately.

For me, I see Heath when I see the Joker... His face is too recognizable to me, he looks a lot like my brother. So when I see him as the Joker, I don't lose him in the makeup. Could just be my "painter's eye".

The sculpt looks close to him, but I will have to have it in hand and repaint it to really see if the likeness is there. It certainly looks like the movie Joker, just not sure how much it looks like Heath.

I'd like to see someone with photoshop "flesh out" the joker sculpt. Could help to see if the likeness is there.

I can see the likeness on the photo on the board beside him below.

Last edited:
I have absolutely no doubts that when repainted this sculpt will look dead on Heath Ledger. Repainters have brought out Routh in all the Supes done, Jackman in the X3 sculpt, etc.....it'll be there.

I'd like to see someone with photoshop "flesh out" the joker sculpt. Could help to see if the likeness is there.

I can see the likeness on the photo on the board beside him below.

Anyone notice in this pic that the eye make-up in the poster/box art behind him is much larger in area? I'm guessing the protos are on display here but the final products will look closer to that image behind the actual figure.

I think the biggest factor in the struggle to tell how much the sculpt does or doesn't capture Ledger is that the facial expression doesn't look like anything we've seen yet. I could be wrong, but I can't think of any points in trailers or promotional images, etc. that he has that expression, which makes the head look more abstract. If we had a shot of Ledger with that exact type of expression, we could really match up. I don't know what Heath looks like making a face like that so I can't "yes, that's him", but that's why a lot of shots in the trailers don't look like him, between makeup and expression, he's distorted. I think the biggest point where it's totally him is the shot in trailer 3 when he goes to Rachel "you look nervous," looks more like Heath than Joker.

I think the biggest factor in the struggle to tell how much the sculpt does or doesn't capture Ledger is that the facial expression doesn't look like anything we've seen yet. I could be wrong, but I can't think of any points in trailers or promotional images, etc. that he has that expression, which makes the head look more abstract. If we had a shot of Ledger with that exact type of expression, we could really match up. I don't know what Heath looks like making a face like that so I can't "yes, that's him", but that's why a lot of shots in the trailers don't look like him, between makeup and expression, he's distorted. I think the biggest point where it's totally him is the shot in trailer 3 when he goes to Rachel "you look nervous," looks more like Heath than Joker.

That was the same problem I had with that custom life size bust seen a few months ago. The facial expression wasn't a familiar one. Everything else looked great though, but if we don't have an image of Heath in a similar expression, it is really hard to tell on the likeness. But I'm sure its there. If not, it is close enough. It looks like the Joker and that is enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back