Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

On the flip side, when you make it big time that is when the haters come. You become judged a lot more harsh compared to the rest of the competition. To remain great and live up to a certain standard, sometime you have to innovate or changed certain things the way you did it before. And that can upset or even alienate a fan base but it come with the territory and I think thats why Kojima is getting most of the hate on here.

I wouldn't say that getting rid of a stalwart person of the series like Hayter is a prime example of innovation. MGS has become widely successful, but it still doesn't get away from the fact that Kojima has lost his sense of storytelling, to the point where he has to go back and retcon things in the timeline in order to "progress" a storyline.

Konami has been milking this franchise to death, and it's not like Kojima really wanted to be a part of it anymore, as he has wanted out of this series for some time.

I wouldn't say that getting rid of a stalwart person of the series like Hayter is a prime example of innovation. MGS has become widely successful, but it still doesn't get away from the fact that Kojima has lost his sense of storytelling, to the point where he has to go back and retcon things in the timeline in order to "progress" a storyline.

Konami has been milking this franchise to death, and it's not like Kojima really wanted to be a part of it anymore, as he has wanted out of this series for some time.

Almost every series in gaming is milked. I remember Naught Dog saying The Last of Us was a one off, now they’re singing a different tune. Metal Gear is only milked in name. It pretty much is the standard on how sequels should be made. These games don’t come out every year, and they are usually very different from the game that came before it, while remaining similar. The series is very special.

I think that is metioned in a tape or something like that...

Yeah, it was mentioned briefly in one of Eva's tapes. That was such lame way of bringing it up. I would have preferred a nice cut-scene instead.

If Kojima ever was honest about leaving he would be doing something else now, but no, he is working on MGSV and seems to be as excited as a 5 year old with a new toy

Yeah, it was mentioned briefly in one of Eva's tapes. That was such lame way of bringing it up. I would have preferred a nice cut-scene instead.

Plus she is their mom, it is a big deal :gah: it is one of the most important moments of the franchise.

I still hope to see a flashback cutscene of her holding the twins, it would be cute as **** and lets face it, most people want to see that... including me

Almost every series in gaming is milked. I remember Naught Dog saying The Last of Us was a one off, now they’re singing a different tune. Metal Gear is only milked in name. It pretty much is the standard on how sequels should be made. These games don’t come out every year, and they are usually very different from the game that came before it, while remaining similar. The series is very special.

:exactly::exactly::exactly::goodpost:

CoD is milking, Resident Evil is milking, but not MGS

capcom would have made 50 games with Solid Snake before making him old

Last edited:

If Kojima ever was honest about leaving he would be doing something else now, but no, he is working on MGSV and seems to be as excited as a 5 year old with a new toy

Plus she is their mom, it is a big deal :gah: it is one of the most important moments of the franchise.

I still hope to see a flashback cutscene of Hero holding the twins, it would be cute as **** and lets face it, most people want to see that... including me

CoD is milking, Resident Evil is milking, but not MGS

capcom would have made 50 games with Solid Snake before making him old

Hahahaa :exactly:

The storyline for MGS had already reached a conclusion in MGS 4, but Kojima still has to make more and more of these games, because it's the only franchise that Konami has at their disposal. They've practically held him prisoner and wouldn't allow him to work on any other series, because it's too risky for their business model (the reason for why ZOE 3 was canceled). So, it doesn't sound special to me, when a franchise has to thread on solely because of profit and nothing else.

If Kojima had more resources at KojiPro, you can bet that we'd see annual releases of MGS. If anything, he has proven over the years that he wants to be more like other developers, and he has especially admired the work from Ubi Montreal and the annual release of Assassin's Creed games.

The storyline for MGS had already reached a conclusion in MGS 4, but Kojima still has to make more and more of these games, because it's the only franchise that Konami has at their disposal. They've practically held him prisoner and wouldn't allow him to work on any other series, because it's too risky for their business model (the reason for why ZOE 3 was canceled). So, it doesn't sound special to me, when a franchise has to thread on solely because of profit and nothing else.

If Kojima had more resources at KojiPro, you can bet that we'd see annual releases of MGS. If anything, he has proven over the years that he wants to be like other developers, and he has especially admired the work from Ubi Montreal and the annual release of Assassin's Creed games.

These games are obviously being made for money. But so far the series hasn’t had a bad game yet. Each game is highly rated and treated with care in all departments. Even the best companies continue making games, but I don’t know any franchise that has as many games as this series and as highly rated. This series takes risks, unlike Uncharted(which I love), Halo etc…

Also I like the fact Kojima takes from other franchises to enhance this game. Do you still want to hold the square button to shoot? Kind of shows that Kojima isn’t some elitist that is all into himself when he freely admits to appreciating a lot of other developers in the industry and uses their ideas to enhance the MGS experience.

These games are obviously being made for money. But so far the series hasn’t had a bad game yet. Each game is highly rated and treated with care in all departments. Even the best companies continue making games, but I don’t know any franchise that has as many games as this series and as highly rated. This series takes risks, unlike Uncharted(which I love), Halo etc…

Also I like the fact Kojima takes from other franchises to enhance this game. Do you still want to hold the square button to shoot? Kind of shows that Kojima isn’t some elitist that is all into himself when he freely admits to appreciating a lot of other developers in the industry and uses their ideas to enhance the MGS experience.

It's very subjective to analyze the series as not having a single bad game :lol. Unless you're talking about profit, in which case, Peace Walker sold horribly because it was on the PSP. It's still left to be seen how digital-only distribution will affect the sales of MGS V - in addition to how MGS V will be released a year later after Ground Zeroes. Very piss-poor planning from Konami, if you ask me.

There was a time when Kojima actually lead innovation, and other developers were trying to emulate his drive for games that revolved around theatrical cut-scene cinematics and gameplay. But, now, the roles are completely reversed. Other developers have caught-up in leaps and bounds, and Kojima's just struggling to his games relevant. I can't say that there's a single thing in from the gameplay trailers for MGS V that truely "wowed" me, that I haven't seen already from other games. In comparison, I'm much less excited for this as I was around the time of MGS 4.

I agree with all that

... I used to like Halo, but the lack of innovation killed it for me. Halo 4 was a huge disappointment, I even disliked the music

Man I thought Halo 4 was horrible! I really enjoyed the first 3 too. Until Metal Gear goes that route I can trust Kojima :lol

It's very subjective to analyze the series as not having a single bad game :lol. Unless you're talking about profit, in which case, Peace Walker sold horribly because it was on the PSP. It's still left to be seen how digital-only distribution will affect the sales of MGS V - in addition to how MGS V will be released a year later after Ground Zeroes. Very piss-poor planning from Konami, if you ask me.

There was a time when Kojima actually lead innovation, and other developers were trying to emulate his drive for games that revolved around theatrical cut-scene cinematics and gameplay. But, now, the roles are completely reversed. Other developers have caught-up in leaps and bounds, and Kojima's just struggling to his games relevant. I can't say that there's a single thing in from the gameplay trailers for MGS V that truely "wowed" me, that I haven't seen already from other games. In comparison, I'm much less excited for this as I was around the time of MGS 4.

Each game is highly reviewed and has a high user score. Each game sold great except for peace walker which only sold terribly compared to the others in the series. MGSV keeps getting voted most anticipated game on almost every video game website. I still think MGS4 was the best game of the ps3 era. Who cares if other studios caught up? And how many studios can you actually claim have caught up? Not many if you ask me. While you’re not that excited for MGSV, millions of other people can’t wait to get their hands on the game, myself included.

Each game is highly reviewed and has a high user score. Each game sold great except for peace walker which only sold terribly compared to the others in the series. MGSV keeps getting voted most anticipated game on almost every video game website. I still think MGS4 was the best game of the ps3 era. Who cares if other studios caught up? And how many studios can you actually claim have caught up? Not many if you ask me. While you’re not that excited for MGSV, millions of other people can’t wait to get their hands on the game, myself included.

Totally! I still think it was the best ps3 game ever

tumblr_mxtordsVwr1rsk0loo1_400.gif

Me too! I can't wait! :hi5:

Man I thought Halo 4 was horrible! I really enjoyed the first 3 too. Until Metal Gear goes that route I can trust Kojima :lol

:exactly:

It won't, it will get weird, story wise, I'm sure... after MGS4 and MGSPW this can only get weirder :lol but the quality will remain

basically, this:

tumblr_m8kvgo2qz61qcfkb7o1_500.png

Those things will always be part of MGS :lol

btw

Its kind of hard to type here with all the crap I have on this desk, I'm making a drawing of the Boss :drool

:exactly:

It won't, it will get weird, story wise, I'm sure... after MGS4 and MGSPW this can only get weirder :lol but the quality will remain

basically, this:

tumblr_m8kvgo2qz61qcfkb7o1_500.png

Those things will always be part of MGS :lol

btw

Its kind of hard to type here with all the crap I have on this desk, I'm making a drawing of the Boss :drool

Haha. I have faith in MGSV’s story. All the trailers are showing a real darker side of the series.

I think I know where this discussion is heading, and we've had it many, many times before in this thread. Quite frankly, I don't have the patience to re-argue with someone who's drinking the Kool Aid so much that they can sit back and analyze this series from a perspective that doesn't involve "MGS games are the best games ever", and "Kojima is the best director, ever" :dunno.

Meh... :lol

tumblr_mekwcwRS0X1r1yhdwo1_500_zpscc7abcb7.gif

Wha..?

I'm pretty sure no one is doing that, and no one is analysing it in a totally cold/rational/scientific way, mostly because this are games, and because we are emotionally attached to them, so we either see things in a positive way or a negative way, we either care more for the bad stuff or the good stuff. Thats all imho

I think I know where this discussion is heading, and we've had it many, many times before in this thread. Quite frankly, I don't have the patience to re-argue with someone who's drinking the Kool Aid so much that they can sit back and analyze this series from a perspective that doesn't involve "MGS games are the best games ever", and "Kojima is the best director, ever" :dunno.

Meh... :lol

Damn, I actually thought we could have a debate without any insulting, but I guess your elitist ways just couldn’t let it happen.

I’ll group you in the “David Hayter is teh best voice actor evahhh” group.

Damn, I actually thought we could have a debate without any insulting, but I guess your elitist way just couldn’t let it happen.

I’ll group you in the “David Hayter is teh best voice actor evahhh” group.

Well, I'm not going to argue with a broken record who always has to bring up review scores, and ad populum agruments as the things that qualify for a "good game". Yeah, my elitist self just doesn't want to have the discussion again for the umpteenth time, I guess :lol.

Back