Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I just wish Kojima would stop siphoning off on Snake's name and stop using it already for Biggu Bawzu.

It was a good legacy to start off Big Boss as "Naked Snake" in MGS 3. But, there's no real need to continue calling him "Snake" so far into the series. Chalk it up to lazy writing as far as I'm concerned.

I just wonder if "Punished Snake" is taking any personality cues from Old Snake. Kojima said that he wanted Big Boss to talk less, and be more expressive with his emotions in MGS V. If I recall correctly, that's exactly how Old Snake was in MGS 4.

Last edited:

It was a good legacy to start off Big Boss as "Naked Snake" in MGS 3. But, there's no real need to continue calling him "Snake" so far into the series. Chalk it up to lazy writing as far as I'm concerned.

I just wonder if "Punished Snake" is taking any personality cues from Old Snake. Kojima said that he wanted Big Boss to talk less, and be more expressive with his emotions in MGS V. If I recall correctly, that's exactly how Old Snake was in MGS 4.

Old Snake was a grumpy old codger. I don't think that's a good indication for Punished Snake.

I thought MGS3 was a great start to his career and I thought (at the time) it was cool that he shared the Snake codename... but now... he's one game overdue in leaving it behind.

I remember when I first played MGS4 and my girlfriend happened to be watching. She said something to the effect "did this depress or anger Solid Snake fans to see him like this?"

To which I replied...

[ame]https://youtu.be/X8u7px_GzWQ[/ame]

:lol

Last edited:

Great video for anyone who hasn’t’ been constantly checking for news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74n1Nl8Dsk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUT6iAerLNE-0J1S_E97UAuQ

Thanks!! :clap

Yup, also, I'm pretty hyped to see Big Boss torturing people, while I like heroes, I have a thing for villains.

Those are always more important for me, a hero never looks good fighting agains a dumb villain. Bad guys have to be badass:lecture

I hope that Big Boss actually does go bad in this and not just that he does a couple of questionable things but in the end is still just on the hero pedestal

I hope that Big Boss actually does go bad in this and not just that he does a couple of questionable things but in the end is still just on the hero pedestal

I still suspect no matter how far into the dark side he goes, he'll still smell like roses to some degree. Kojima has had two chances to give us that, to some degree and I think he's fearful to commit to it.

Yup, this is make or break for me. If Kojima doesn’t have the guts to make him go full villain in this game then it would be a huge disappointment for me.

I just can't wait for March so that I can finally make my own verdict on Kojima's latest masterpiece. This is the first Metal Gear game where I'm just not feeling it (and I have provided my reasons countless times). I just want to be proven wrong this March.

I still hold my ground that Rising is the best thing to come out of the Metal Gear name in a very long time. The Metal Gear games are getting dangerously stagnant and repetitive in comparison with other offerings. Heck, I'm getting a PS4 just for this. :yess:

I just can't wait for March so that I can finally make my own verdict on Kojima's latest masterpiece. This is the first Metal Gear game where I'm just not feeling it (and I have provided my reasons countless times). I just want to be proven wrong this March.

I still hold my ground that Rising is the best thing to come out of the Metal Gear name in a very long time. The Metal Gear games are getting dangerously stagnant and repetitive in comparison with other offerings. Heck, I'm getting a PS4 just for this. :yess:

:exactly::goodpost:

Rising is fun gameplay wise, but that story is so bad people choose to believe it isn’t canon just to be able to sleep at night.

Also I don’t understand why this would be the game to give people that repetitive and tired feeling when this seems to be the most ambitious and different Metal Gear yet. Unless you want to count MGR which was different but far from great.

Now if they make another Metal Gear Rising, with the original script and on the Fox Engine, then I would be extremely excited.

As a whole tho riding was a good and most importantly welcomed game. The story lacked a bit but it was never about the story really

I agree with Ryan that is was the best thing to come out of MG in recent times, if only because it wasn't trying to be anything else it was just itself, which brought it's own charm

That might be the same case for MGS5 although for a main series title is has to have everything, which rising didn't have to

And I personally think that yes MGS5 is being ambitious within its own series but against everything else out it isn't groundbreaking work like MGS1

That in itself makes it more stagnant as a stand alone game in the gaming industry if you get me

As a whole tho riding was great. The story lacked a bit but it was never about the story really

I agree with Ryan that is was the best thing to come out of MG in recent times, if only because it wasn't trying to be anything else it was just itself, which brought it's own charm

That might be the same case for MGS5 although for a main series title is has to have everything, which rising didn't have to

Exactly. Rising didn't really have to live up to anything since it was a new flavor to the series altogether, confined to it's own universe. Kojipro probably would of ruined a lot of continuity if they didn't give it to Platinum. As soon as Plat got it, they geared it more to being a guilty pleasure and didn't drown you in a overly complicated story and aimed it at those that wanted to play as a Ninja character in a standalone game.

Rising is fun gameplay wise, but that story is so bad people choose to believe it isn’t canon just to be able to sleep at night.

Also I don’t understand why this would be the game to give people that repetitive and tired feeling when this seems to be the most ambitious and different Metal Gear yet. Unless you want to count MGR which was different but far from great.

Now if they make another Metal Gear Rising, with the original script and on the Fox Engine, then I would be extremely excited.

Kojima in many ways has shot himself in the foot with a good amount of long time fans with the many, many issues such as the decision to go open word, the David Hayter debacle, the Quiet controversy, and the murky (and juvenile) promotional campaigns to name a few. Unlike past MGS games, Kojima himself doesn't seem to have the game set in stone (remember this game was originally for the PS3, not current gen consoles) and at least at this point, it seems to point out that all he wants to do is make is Peace Walker 2 and a glorified tech demo for the FOX engine.

Long story short, Kojima could have easily avoided all these but he choose not to. He is either a) Trying to prove a point. b) Tying in the controversy of the game to match the themes of the game, or c) He's well on his way to be certified fruitcake that a lot of people have been saying he is.

Rising is a different beast altogether, it's a Metal Gear game developed by Platinum Games with a good amount of creative control but a very, very punishing development period imposed on them. They could not screw this up or they'll risk a) The Rising series never picking up steam, or b) Termination by Kojima Productions.

The end result is a game that really acknowledges itself to be silly and nonsensical, but with a heart of gold, Platinum pulled this off impressively. You're not supposed to have a hard time sleeping because the plot was "bad", you're supposed to have a hard time sleeping knowing the fact that you've just cut a 65 foot tall robot into pieces with blaring techno/metal/dubstep music as if Platinum Games is shoving a toothpick in your mouth whispering "dude, you're cool."

Sometimes, just sometimes it isn't about the latest technological achievement or the grandiose plot, it's the pure, unadulterated tried-and-true methods that works best in generating a smile, and boy does Rising made many of my buddies smile when they come over.

P/s: I hope I don't have to type this long again. Phew.

Kojima in many ways has shot himself in the foot with a good amount of long time fans with the many, many issues such as the decision to go open word, the David Hayter debacle, the Quiet controversy, and the murky (and juvenile) promotional campaigns to name a few. Unlike past MGS games, Kojima himself doesn't seem to have the game set in stone (remember this game was originally for the PS3, not current gen consoles) and at least at this point, it seems to point out that all he wants to do is make is Peace Walker 2 and a glorified tech demo for the FOX engine.

Long story short, Kojima could have easily avoided all these but he choose not to. He is either a) Trying to prove a point. b) Tying in the controversy of the game to match the themes of the game, or c) He's well on his way to be certified fruitcake that a lot of people have been saying he is.

Rising is a different beast altogether, it's a Metal Gear game developed by Platinum Games with a good amount of creative control but a very, very punishing development period imposed on them. They could not screw this up or they'll risk a) The Rising series never picking up steam, or b) Termination by Kojima Productions.

The end result is a game that really acknowledges itself to be silly and nonsensical, but with a heart of gold, Platinum pulled this off impressively. You're not supposed to have a hard time sleeping because the plot was "bad", you're supposed to have a hard time sleeping knowing the fact that you've just cut a 65 foot tall robot into pieces with blaring techno/metal/dubstep music as if Platinum Games is shoving a toothpick in your mouth whispering "dude, you're cool."

Sometimes, just sometimes it isn't about the latest technological achievement or the grandiose plot, it's the pure, unadulterated tried-and-true methods that works best in generating a smile, and boy does Rising made many of my buddies smile when they come over.

P/s: I hope I don't have to type this long again. Phew.

I've had it in my mind for a while now that MGSV was a commercial for the FOX engine. I was very worried and frustrated that MGR was being made, but Platinum hit it out of the park, and some.

Awesome points Ryan :clap

Here's something that has been crossing my mind but no one has ever confirmed, or even ask the same question but:
We will get to see (in GZ) all the chocking Chico, Paz's bomb removal, and BB goes in to coma (ending?) story?
If so... then it's going be great, those scenes were the highlight of the latest trailers!

Last edited:
I just don't even get this whole need for a Prologue game.
He explains he is doing this, to get you comfortable with the controls and the gameplay etc.

- Don't worry guys, this is just a taste. The REAL game will blow you away and is HUNDREDS of times bigger than this.
-This is game is so complex and epic I had to split it into two games.

Just put out one fricken completed gaming experience. Stop acting like you're Gods gift to gaming, and you need to ease us gaming idiots into the complex masterpiece that is your next game lol

:thud::cuckoo:

Back