Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally, considering the overall theme of the game, a lot of people will be uncomfortable with it no matter what. An audio file of a woman being raped huh... I bet is Paz, that ***** deserves it :lol

I think its gonna be great :clap

Yea, this is just making more confident that Kojima has the guts to turn Big Boss into a despicable human being :yess:

Ahh, nothing says "You should take us seriously" than rape. I just hope that the inclusion of sexual assaults is done in good taste and not just for shock value, you'll never know with Kojima. You just might be on the beach in swimwear with the said rape victim knowing him. :slap

Yeah, the rape thing sounds a little bit over the top, I'm with Ryan.

It could end up being a cardboard box rape :lol

Kojima's no Spielberg, he can't shift between E.T and Schindler's List judging by how he writes his games. One small misstep and he might end up doing more harm to the industry whilst his grand vision of "the horrors of war" would backfire and things could get real ugly. Judging by how he handled the Quiet controversy "Oh you guys don't get it, it's not erotic, it's sexy", I'm trying to stay positive by hoping for the best.

I'm not slamming Kojima, in fact I applaud him for having the stones to even attempt doing such subject matter. It's just that I think if I were to see rape or any kind of sexual assault in my videogames, I wouldn't choose Hideo Kojima, a child trapped in a aging man's body, to be the authority on the subject.

Last edited:
Yeah, the rape thing sounds a little bit over the top, I'm with Ryan.

It could end up being a cardboard box rape :lol

Same here. Sexual violence is something I dont like to be included in entertainment, since I have such strong views against it.

But either way, hoping like people have said, a much darker Big Boss. Here's hoping it leads into a remake of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 :panic:

Ahh, nothing says "You should take us seriously" than rape. I just hope that the inclusion of sexual assaults is done in good taste and not just for shock value, you'll never know with Kojima. You just might be on the beach in swimwear with the said rape victim knowing him. :slap

First the overly-sexed costume with Quiet, and now rape? :slap

WTF Kojima... rape is always done for shock value. I think MGS is going into places it shouldn't.

I doubt Kojima is doing this for shock value. A big part war comes rape, and a lot of other monstrosities. Seems like this game is trying to show the true ugly side of war and being a soldier.

Kojima's no Spielberg, he can't shift between E.T and Schindler's List judging by how he writes his games. One small misstep and he might end up doing more harm to the industry whilst his grand vision of "the horrors of war" would backfire and things could get real ugly. Judging by how he handled the Quiet controversy "Oh you guys don't get it, it's not erotic, it's sexy", I'm trying to stay positive by hoping for the best.

I'm not slamming Kojima, in fact I applaud him for having the stones to even attempt doing such subject matter. It's just that I think if I were to see rape or any kind of sexual assault in my videogames, I wouldn't choose Hideo Kojima, a child trapped in a aging man's body, to be the authority on the subject.

Well, from what he mentioned about Quiet, the issues on racism, and now the new thing on rape - he's essentially pulling rabbits out of his hat, in order to "wow" us about how awesome this game is going to be.

And mentioning the issue with "racism", I also wouldn't choose a Japanese man like Kojima, to handle a discourse of blacks in Africa being persecuted by white Russians during the Cold War.

I don’t know why he can’t tell a story about all the terrible things of war. Because he is trying to deal with serious matters he’s doing it to “wow” people?

To me this could be the next step of story telling in video games. One that I think The Last of Us really pushed. Video games should be treated like movies. If a game deals with heavy themes, it is up to a parent to prevent their child from playing.

Rambo IV went too far into the realistic war theme for me, to the point that I couldnt fully enjoy watching it much. Babies being thrown in fires, mass rape, throats being torn out, limbs flying everywhere... It was a better movie than 2 and 3 but the violence whilst 'realistic' was too much for entertainment; MGS looks to be going that route too.

Rambo IV went too far into the realistic war theme for me, to the point that I couldnt fully enjoy watching it much. Babies being thrown in fires, mass rape, throats being torn out, limbs flying everywhere... It was a better movie than 2 and 3 but the violence whilst 'realistic' was too much for entertainment; MGS looks to be going that route too.

Yea I can understand that, I have a weak stomach when it comes to stuff like that as well. Luckily this is an audio file that we probably don’t have to play.

I doubt Kojima is doing this for shock value. A big part war comes rape, and a lot of other monstrosities. Seems like this game is trying to show the true ugly side of war and being a soldier.

I think any sensible person could figure that out themselves without the need for it to be spelled out for us, even more so with a director with zero sense of subtlety like Kojima. Let's just hope he doesn't end up shooting himself in the foot with this one.

I don’t know why he can’t tell a story about all the terrible things of war. Because he is trying to deal with serious matters he’s doing it to “wow” people?

To me this could be the next step of story telling in video games. One that I think The Last of Us really pushed. Video games should be treated like movies. If a game deals with heavy themes, it is up to a parent to prevent their child from playing.

Have you ever played Gone Home? That was the revolution that really sends shivers down my spine. The Last of Us never really did anything groundbreaking in terms of story. Don't get me wrong, it's a 10/10 game with the most compelling traditional narrative I've ever played wrapped around a really well made game, but I wouldn't classify the story as the next step in videogame storytelling.

Well, from what he mentioned about Quiet, the issues on racism, and now the new thing on rape - he's essentially pulling rabbits out of his hat, in order to "wow" us about how awesome this game is going to be.

And mentioning the issue with "racism", I also wouldn't choose a Japanese man like Kojima, to handle a discourse of blacks in Africa being persecuted by white Russians during the Cold War.

Where I live, an untold number of people were slaughtered by the Japanese during WWII, and what they did here was unspeakable. My grandmother was lucky to be hiding in dumpsters and dirt otherwise she wouldn't survived a day. I still come across senior folks with PTSD and the first ever recorded casualty of WWII so happens to be just a few miles from where I live.

Point is, MGS is a cheesy, derivative spy flick and it always has been, and I love it. The sudden change of tone is not only jarring but also risks robbing MGS of it's charm. I've said it before, it makes more sense for Koji to reserve such thematic elements for a new IP instead.

Sadly, it does. Those aren't the things that made MGS into the popular series that it is today. And in relation to MGS, this game is becoming less and less recognizable the more I hear about it.

Also, since we're on the topic, I completely skipped the "No Russian" mission in Modern Warfare 2. Even though it was just a game, I couldn't bear the thought of shooting innocent civilians at an airport. I'm not sure if it was included purely to shock the sensibilities, or if there was a broader theme that the writers wanted to touch on. But, it was just too much, and I certainly don't want things like that in my video games :lol.

Where I live, an untold number of people were slaughtered by the Japanese during WWII, and what they did here was unspeakable. My grandmother was lucky to be hiding in dumpsters and dirt otherwise she wouldn't survived a day. I still come across senior folks with PTSD and the first ever recorded casualty of WWII so happens to be just a few miles from where I live.

Point is, MGS is a cheesy, derivative spy flick and it always has been, and I love it. The sudden change of tone is not only jarring but also risks robbing MGS of it's charm. I've said it before, it makes more sense for Koji to reserve such thematic elements for a new IP instead.

I'm very sorry to hear that Ryan :(. War has always been far away from where I've lived. I have a few cousins who joined the Marines post 9/11 and they toured in Iraq and Afghanistan. But, other than that, it's something that I've only read about in books or seen in movies.

I'm sure that if Kojima wanted to, he could write a great war epic, and touch on some extremely graphic issues about WW II Japan. But instead, he's getting involved in things like race relations with black and whites in the Cold War - in addition to the other weird things that were mentioned before. With everything considered, not only does Kojima risk robbing MGS of its charm (if it hasn't happened already), but he's certainly not the authority to write about certain matters that he's unable to relate to.

He really should have made an IP instead of MGS V.

Sadly, it does. Those aren't the things that made MGS into the popular series that it is today. And in relation to MGS, this game is becoming less and less recognizable the more I hear about it.

Also, since we're on the topic, I completely skipped the "No Russian" mission in Modern Warfare 2. Even though it was just a game, I couldn't bear the thought of shooting innocent civilians at an airport. I'm not sure if it was included purely to shock the sensibilities, or if there was a broader theme that the writers wanted to touch on. But, it was just too much, and I certainly don't want things like that in my video games :lol.

I first saw that when I was at a friend's place and he played the bit for me. I was horrified! Things like shock value sells, and it's probably no surprise that it appeals to younger people than us 80's kids.

I'm very sorry to hear that Ryan :(. War has always been far away from where I've lived. I have a few cousins who joined the Marines post 9/11 and they toured in Iraq and Afghanistan. But, other than that, it's something that I've only read about in books or seen in movies.

I'm sure that if Kojima wanted to, he could write a great war epic, and touch on some extremely graphic issues about WW II Japan. But instead, he's getting involved in things like race relations with black and whites in the Cold War - in addition to the other weird things that were mentioned before. With everything considered, not only does Kojima risk robbing MGS of its charm (if it hasn't happened already), but he's certainly not the authority to write about certain matters that he's unable to relate to.

He really should have made an IP instead of MGS V.

Yeah, no biggie. I tend to avoid the local museum because they have very graphic pictures.

Kojima doing a Japanese WWII game? Wow, good idea Solidus! that would really test his skills as a writer AND have all his subject matter intact. No need to mess with MGS and let Platinum finish MGR2. Everybody wins. :yess:

Back