Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt Kojima is doing this for shock value. A big part war comes rape, and a lot of other monstrosities. Seems like this game is trying to show the true ugly side of war and being a soldier.

That's a good point, it actually justifies the inclusion of a rape scene, as long as it isn't playable or anything, can you imagine? :slap:

It is pretty honest and somewhat responsible, showing you the consequences of war and not just the entertaining part of it for the sake of a game, as long as it's handled in the most tasteful way possible.

Point is, MGS is a cheesy, derivative spy flick and it always has been, and I love it. The sudden change of tone is not only jarring but also risks robbing MGS of it's charm. I've said it before, it makes more sense for Koji to reserve such thematic elements for a new IP instead.

Good counterpoint, the tone of you regular MGS is completely incompatible with that sort of things, even more so after PW, if they do this, for later in the game or before, show us one of those Japanese weird humor bits, it's going to be completely anticlimactic and even disrespectful, it is a pretty risky thing to do indeed.

-

EDIT: Just read the whole article :slap :lol

It's just a tape huh? That seems a lot less risky now, it still needs a careful and tasteful approach though, but don't think it should harm the game's tone at all, but I still can't expect the same kind of humor with that tape around.

Last edited:
I think any sensible person could figure that out themselves without the need for it to be spelled out for us, even more so with a director with zero sense of subtlety like Kojima. Let's just hope he doesn't end up shooting himself in the foot with this one.

Have you ever played Gone Home? That was the revolution that really sends shivers down my spine. The Last of Us never really did anything groundbreaking in terms of story. Don't get me wrong, it's a 10/10 game with the most compelling traditional narrative I've ever played wrapped around a really well made game, but I wouldn't classify the story as the next step in videogame storytelling.

Where I live, an untold number of people were slaughtered by the Japanese during WWII, and what they did here was unspeakable. My grandmother was lucky to be hiding in dumpsters and dirt otherwise she wouldn't survived a day. I still come across senior folks with PTSD and the first ever recorded casualty of WWII so happens to be just a few miles from where I live.

Point is, MGS is a cheesy, derivative spy flick and it always has been, and I love it. The sudden change of tone is not only jarring but also risks robbing MGS of it's charm. I've said it before, it makes more sense for Koji to reserve such thematic elements for a new IP instead.

Never even heard of it. I’m going to youtube it. Kojima said this is kind of a reboot for the series. For me the original Metal Gear I grew up with ended at MGS4. Everything after I look at as sort of spin offs. By the way, I didn’t think TLOU story was great, just how they presented how evil humans can be and didn’t really hold back. There was some brutal stuff in there.

That's a good point, it actually justifies the inclusion of a rape scene, as long as it isn't playable or anything, can you imagine? :slap:

It is pretty honest and somewhat responsible, showing you the consequences of war and not just the entertaining part of it for the sake of a game, as long as it's handled in the most tasteful way possible.

Good counterpoint, the tone of you regular MGS is completely incompatible with that sort of things, even more so after PW, if they do this, for later in the game or before, show us one of those Japanese weird humor bits, it's going to be completely anticlimactic and even disrespectful, it is a pretty risky thing to do indeed.

-

It's just a tape huh? That seems a lot less risky now, it still needs a careful and tasteful approach though, but don't think it should harm the game's tone at all, but I still can't expect the same kind of humor with that tape around.

Yup, but it seems like real serious territory for Metal Gear to step in. I know that he made the little reference to Meryl being raped by Ocelot in MGS1, I wonder if its Ocelot doing it in this game? But Kojima did an interview a while back saying something along the lines that MGSV being a very dark game and torture is a big part of it, but he didn’t agree with making any of playable like GTAV.

Never even heard of it. I’m going to youtube it. Kojima said this is kind of a reboot for the series. For me the original Metal Gear I grew up with ended at MGS4. Everything after I look at as sort of spin offs. By the way, I didn’t think TLOU story was great, just how they presented how evil humans can be and didn’t really hold back. There was some brutal stuff in there.

Don't Youtube it as you might risk spoilers, here's the spoiler free thread:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134168

Don't Youtube it as you might risk spoilers, here's the spoiler free thread:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134168

Going to check it out now, thanks!

Just watched the Gamespot review. The whole vibe and atmosphere it gives off makes me want to play it so bad. Unfortunately I have a Mac that I use for school and work. I doubt I could get this on there. Now that the Ps4 has indie games for download I hope it gets games like this.

I will probably tell my cousin to download it on his PC, so I can play it.

Last edited:
Ahh, nothing says "You should take us seriously" than rape. I just hope that the inclusion of sexual assaults is done in good taste and not just for shock value, you'll never know with Kojima. You just might be on the beach in swimwear with the said rape victim knowing him. :slap

That seems to be these two games in a nutshell.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VCPOXAnxdc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VCPOXAnxdc[/ame]

Rambo IV went too far into the realistic war theme for me, to the point that I couldnt fully enjoy watching it much. Babies being thrown in fires, mass rape, throats being torn out, limbs flying everywhere... It was a better movie than 2 and 3 but the violence whilst 'realistic' was too much for entertainment; MGS looks to be going that route too.

Damn, thats really ****ed up :horror

I doubt MGS will go as far as throwing babies to fire

The thing is, the serious themes these games have made them what they are, they are not cheesy dumb games like Cod, there is something for every kind of person in this games, even if you don't care about Nuclear threats or PMCs you still have a good game with great gameplay. I think that will always be part of the franchise, lets hope this new dark tone works.

Have you ever played Gone Home? That was the revolution that really sends shivers down my spine.

A friend told me about that game, is it worth it? I might download it

Where I live, an untold number of people were slaughtered by the Japanese during WWII, and what they did here was unspeakable. My grandmother was lucky to be hiding in dumpsters and dirt otherwise she wouldn't survived a day. I still come across senior folks with PTSD and the first ever recorded casualty of WWII so happens to be just a few miles from where I live.

Sorry to hear that, at least the didn't do anything to her, thats war right there... my grandfather was near Italy at the time and had to take care of his 7 sisters, they barely survived out of the food and stuff the Nazi camps threw away.

Anyway.. I only head about this kind of stuff, makes me value the normal life I have

Its better than a 10 long minute cutscene, ew it reminds me of the movie "Irreversible" .. there is a 7 minute scene of rape there, the most ****ed up thing I've ever seen

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/M...oes-ESRB-Listing-Reveals-Rape-Gore-61408.html

Here is a better article on it. They detail things a bit better.

Poor Paz.

I knew it was her!!!! Paz is a ***** at least it wasn't Quiet.. that would make things much worse ...

Last edited:
I honestly am hoping this is as gritty and serious as it's being portrayed because that could be very cool if implemented well

Thinking about Ground Zeroes runtime, it seems like there are 3 separate story missions to make up Ground Zeroes main campaign. The Chico one looks like it will be over quite quickly, and the defense of MSF will probably be an on rails sequence even if it’s playable. Looking at this, I can’t see the main campaign being more than 2 hours with side ops making it about 5 hours. Anyone know anything else that might be included so hopefully it can lengthen on the game?

metal-gear-solid-v.jpg

(Rescue Chico)
M4Ia310.jpg

(Rescue Paz)
Metal_Gear_Solid_5_Trailer_(HD_1080p)

(Defend Motherbase)

I hope there's more, and that Paz is harder to reach than Chico in order to lenghen that part of the sequence. It looks like she's locked up in a building somewhere as opposed to inside a cage out in the open like Chico. There also should be a boss fight somewhere, hopefully... but considering that Skull Face has left the camp I'm not sure when that could be. Perhaps before the attack on Motherbase?
____
7a37eafb9984439b89b9bfa86c8fb87e.jpg

(Boss battle?)

Oh, and a new trailer/release date for the Phantom Pain that plays after you complete Ground Zeroes would be awesome.

I dunno if Skull face will be in GZ at all, hopefully yes, I say the campaign will last 4 hours and a few hours more with the extra missions, just a hunch :dunno

Everything they have shown of Skullface has only come from Ground Zeroes footage. I hope the main campaign is at least 4 hours but I know that is wishful thinking.

Also besides Ground Zeroes being separately released to rob us of our money, I was thinking is could also be a test for Kojima to see what he can get away with and what not in terms of all the Taboos being dealt with.

I honestly am hoping this is as gritty and serious as it's being portrayed because that could be very cool if implemented well

In terms of grit and and an overall serious atmosphere, MGS 1 did it perfectly. With that said, MGS V should not go too much to the "dark-side" to accomplish the same thing. Kojima just has to tone it down with the silly Japanese humor.

Everything they have shown of Skullface has only come from Ground Zeroes footage. I hope the main campaign is at least 4 hours but I know that is wishful thinking.

Also besides Ground Zeroes being separately released to rob us of our money, I was thinking is could also be a test for Kojima to see what he can get away with and what not in terms of all the Taboos being dealt with.

Yeah I remember, my bad, I meant gameplay wise. I really want another fistfight like at the end of MGS1 and MGS4 but thats more likely to be in PP

Yeah he can test everything this way, he will know if fans like this new direction of MGS he even said PP can change if GZ gets a bad reception, he is clearly not stupid :lol

Yeah I remember I meant gameplay wise, I really want another fistfight like at the end of MGS4 but that would be better for PP

Yeah he can test everything this way, he will know if fans like this new direction of MGS he even said PP can change if GZ gets a bad reception, he is clearly not stupid :lol

Yea, I hope they give us a nice ending boss battle in GZ, but I can’t see that happening. Maybe just a reveal on who Skullface actually is. I forgot he did say that :slap

And with all these articles coming out saying Phantom Pain won’t be released for a while, I think this is why this Prologue game is being issued, and to steal our money of course :lol

I think that chained Paz scene is in Mother Base, after they removed the bomb (I see some blood on her clothes)

Back