Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big Boss was a troll at the end of MGS4 now that I think about it, that thing with Solidus 'being brain dead' or soemthing...what? What will be an even bigger, ultimate troll is Zero briefly appearing in MGSV and no explanation for his falling out with Boss or worse, Zero being the antagonist in MGSVI or something else dumb :slap

One store does it for insane prices, which I don't justify.

So not only is Donna Burke doing the music still, she's also the voice of the 'IDroid' apparently. Not sure what that is exactly.

Thats the device Big Boss uses as a map. Thats pretty cool.

Here's my thoughts on a MG remake.:

You ground it a bit more in reality. The game takes place around the early 1990's (make some of the "future" tech reasonable), just after the Persian Gulf War/Desert Storm and the collapse of the Soviet Union. There is a lot of disruption around this and the United States forms the newly coined "FOX Unit" in order to secretly subvert any fallout from the dissolution of the Soviet Union and the erupting unrest from the Middle East. This essentially mirrors the modern-day creation of JSOC but sets it back in the 90's.

Your first mission is as part of FOX Unit 03 (or whatever number). The FOX Unit is the best of the best drawn from all groups of the military (kinda like G.I. Joe). However, most of the actual field operators are former US Navy SEALS. Fox Unit 03 comprises of FIVE Navy SEALS who were actually formerly part of SEAL Team 6. The commanding officer: Frank Jaeger, Roy Campbell, George Sears, Kazuhira Miller, and your character, John.

In what would be a prologue mission (and FOX 03's first mission together), you have to infiltrate and rescue both a former Soviet asset (spy) and research engineer of great importance. What's new in this, is that you actually work with the rest of the group as a team. The intro mission serves to show you the controls, and even some unique new features such as ordering your squad around though you mostly follow orders. During this time, the character interaction over radio shows the character's personalities. The team splits with John going off with Jaegar and the rest of the team trying to recover the Soviet asset (or Engineer...this is actually a cool feature to allow you to do either mission and allows for replayability). The mission turns out to be a resounding success as the team rescues both the engineer (Huey Emmerich) AND the Soviet Asset (Adamska Sokolov aka Ocelot...note the last name change). The success of this mission allows FOX Unit's overall Commander is BIG BOSS aka David Oh (Zero) to get more money, more equipment and increase the flexibility in how FOX Unit operates.

You have an interim period here which shows several cuts from other missions and FOX's increase in prestige within the upper echelon of the military and politics, FOX Unit eventually dubs each operator with animal code-names, hence Jaeger becomes Gray Fox, Adamska Sokolov (who replaces Sears who is commented to have gone off to "pursue politics") becomes Revolver Ocelot, Campbell becomes Silver Hound (or whatever), Miller becomes Master Dragon (a pun on his half-Japanese background), and John becomes Naked Snake (the "Naked" is from a joke during his SEAL days that will be shown).

FOX Unit 03 gets a new mission. The secret weapon developed by Ocelot's father, along with Emmerich has finally been located within Soviet territory. Under the command of Soviet dissidents who do not respect the new Democratic Russian federation and want to utilize the mobile nuclear tank known as "Metal Gear" to restore not only the Soviet Union, but also disrupt the World Order.

Long story short, FOX Unit 03 goes in. They get separated, you, as Naked Snake, gradually have to find the other members of your team while playing it safe. Some characters are too injured to move (like Frank Jaeger), others join you for some missions (like Miller, Ocelot and Campbell) but the bottom-line is that in-between it all, Ocelot's loyalties are questionable, Snake is forced to operate alone (as opposed to SEAL tradition which is to operate as a team), and the true mission behind destroying Metal Gear is questioned once it is revealed the United States government is also involved in its creation. During the stealth parts alone, you also see some background on Naked Snake including when he met his teammates as a SEAL trainee, his doubts about the US government, its corruption and his mission, his wife, Eva, and ultimately culminating with the birth of their twin boys, David and John Jr. aka Jack (Snake is on the mission when they are born). In the end, Snake succeeds in "destroying" Metal Gear even though he was ordered to recover it by Big Boss (aka Zero) at the end and returns to a disappointed Command. However, in flashbacks from Snake's POV, we see that he in-fact is in possesses the blue-prints, a prototype Metal Gear (seen in part of the game) as well as several nuclear warheads...hinting to his eventual betrayal.

I don't know, but that's my idea. I think you can pack everything up a little bit more neatly and concisely without getting over drawn out in melodrama but instead exposing the human elements of the story. What drives Snake and his teammates and eventually what breaks them down and makes them disillusioned with the United States and the country they had been serving. In the back, you also hint that this bond between all the characters runs deeper than just following a flag and it hints at the development of their rogue army while also setting seeds for Solid Snake and Raiden (in my vision, Raiden is Solid Snake's twin brother...NOT Liquid).

I think at this point rebooting/remaking the franchise would simply make it more confusing and hard to follow.

I think MGS as a whole is fairly easy to grasp when you become a proper fan and it's easy to fit it all together (Same with Lost, I don't get the confusion with the show? To me it was easy to follow).

The only remakes I want are MG and MG2 but I want them done so they connect MGSV into MGS and end the franchise by closing the timeline. Maybe a few spin offs here and there like Rising (Heard about Rising potentially being a trilogy) but no more Snakes.

Last edited:
Here's my thoughts on a MG remake.:

You ground it a bit more in reality. The game takes place around the early 1990's (make some of the "future" tech reasonable), just after the Persian Gulf War/Desert Storm and the collapse of the Soviet Union. There is a lot of disruption around this and the United States forms the newly coined "FOX Unit" in order to secretly subvert any fallout from the dissolution of the Soviet Union and the erupting unrest from the Middle East. This essentially mirrors the modern-day creation of JSOC but sets it back in the 90's.

Your first mission is as part of FOX Unit 03 (or whatever number). The FOX Unit is the best of the best drawn from all groups of the military (kinda like G.I. Joe). However, most of the actual field operators are former US Navy SEALS. Fox Unit 03 comprises of FIVE Navy SEALS who were actually formerly part of SEAL Team 6. The commanding officer: Frank Jaeger, Roy Campbell, George Sears, Kazuhira Miller, and your character, John.

In what would be a prologue mission (and FOX 03's first mission together), you have to infiltrate and rescue both a former Soviet asset (spy) and research engineer of great importance. What's new in this, is that you actually work with the rest of the group as a team. The intro mission serves to show you the controls, and even some unique new features such as ordering your squad around though you mostly follow orders. During this time, the character interaction over radio shows the character's personalities. The team splits with John going off with Jaegar and the rest of the team trying to recover the Soviet asset (or Engineer...this is actually a cool feature to allow you to do either mission and allows for replayability). The mission turns out to be a resounding success as the team rescues both the engineer (Huey Emmerich) AND the Soviet Asset (Adamska Sokolov aka Ocelot...note the last name change). The success of this mission allows FOX Unit's overall Commander is BIG BOSS aka David Oh (Zero) to get more money, more equipment and increase the flexibility in how FOX Unit operates.

You have an interim period here which shows several cuts from other missions and FOX's increase in prestige within the upper echelon of the military and politics, FOX Unit eventually dubs each operator with animal code-names, hence Jaeger becomes Gray Fox, Adamska Sokolov (who replaces Sears who is commented to have gone off to "pursue politics") becomes Revolver Ocelot, Campbell becomes Silver Hound (or whatever), Miller becomes Master Dragon (a pun on his half-Japanese background), and John becomes Naked Snake (the "Naked" is from a joke during his SEAL days that will be shown).

FOX Unit 03 gets a new mission. The secret weapon developed by Ocelot's father, along with Emmerich has finally been located within Soviet territory. Under the command of Soviet dissidents who do not respect the new Democratic Russian federation and want to utilize the mobile nuclear tank known as "Metal Gear" to restore not only the Soviet Union, but also disrupt the World Order.

Long story short, FOX Unit 03 goes in. They get separated, you, as Naked Snake, gradually have to find the other members of your team while playing it safe. Some characters are too injured to move (like Frank Jaeger), others join you for some missions (like Miller, Ocelot and Campbell) but the bottom-line is that in-between it all, Ocelot's loyalties are questionable, Snake is forced to operate alone (as opposed to SEAL tradition which is to operate as a team), and the true mission behind destroying Metal Gear is questioned once it is revealed the United States government is also involved in its creation. During the stealth parts alone, you also see some background on Naked Snake including when he met his teammates as a SEAL trainee, his doubts about the US government, its corruption and his mission, his wife, Eva, and ultimately culminating with the birth of their twin boys, David and John Jr. aka Jack (Snake is on the mission when they are born). In the end, Snake succeeds in "destroying" Metal Gear even though he was ordered to recover it by Big Boss (aka Zero) at the end and returns to a disappointed Command. However, in flashbacks from Snake's POV, we see that he in-fact is in possesses the blue-prints, a prototype Metal Gear (seen in part of the game) as well as several nuclear warheads...hinting to his eventual betrayal.

I don't know, but that's my idea. I think you can pack everything up a little bit more neatly and concisely without getting over drawn out in melodrama but instead exposing the human elements of the story. What drives Snake and his teammates and eventually what breaks them down and makes them disillusioned with the United States and the country they had been serving. In the back, you also hint that this bond between all the characters runs deeper than just following a flag and it hints at the development of their rogue army while also setting seeds for Solid Snake and Raiden (in my vision, Raiden is Solid Snake's twin brother...NOT Liquid).

Sounds pretty good.

I think at this point rebooting/remaking the franchise would simply make it more confusing and hard to follow.

I think MGS as a whole is fairly easy to grasp when you become a proper fan and it's easy to fit it all together (Same with Lost, I don't get the confusion with the show? To me it was easy to follow).

The only remakes I want are MG and MG2 but I want them done so they connect MGSV into MGS and end the franchise by closing the timeline. Maybe a few spin offs here and there like Rising (Heard about Rising potentially being a trilogy) but no more Snakes.

I prefer the series end with MGSV. Kojima looks like he’s going all out with this one, Solid’s story is done, and this should end Big Boss’ story. I prefer the end the series on a high note instead of pumping them out for monetary reasons. I would like MGR to continue, maybe tell the story Kojima originally wanted to tell, and Konami should let Kojima make his new IP.

Sooooooo, what do you guys make of a metal gear solid with regenerating health? Ive always known MGS with its trademark ration tins and now his yummy green curry, so to see it all replaced with a regenrative health system left me with mixed feelings..

maybe on a harder difficulty this will change but I haven't seen anything in the demo vids that shows the use of health packs. Welcomed change or not?

Sooooooo, what do you guys make of a metal gear solid with regenerating health? Ive always known MGS with its trademark ration tins and now his yummy green curry, so to see it all replaced with a regenrative health system left me with mixed feelings..

maybe on a harder difficulty this will change but I haven't seen anything in the demo vids that shows the use of health packs. Welcomed change or not?

I personally don’t mind it. I do wish the you were able to fix yourself up like in Snake Eater. Hopefully they bring that back in TPP.

There is a good video on the tube, not sure how recent it is, but it talks about the differences playing on hard mode and the ability to take away certain features like the marking of targets, and your super-snake senses reflex (which could be a life saver!)

There is a good video on the tube, not sure how recent it is, but it talks about the differences playing on hard mode and the ability to take away certain features like the marking of targets, and your super-snake senses reflex (which could be a life saver!)

I might have seen that video. The game seems like its going to be incredibly hard to beat without those perks. I’ll probably use them on my first play through.

By the way I think new art has been released. Hobby-Consolas-Big-Boss.jpg

Why Punished Snake in TPP are not look like that artwork????? (especially his hair)
I prefer his hair like that than in game hair, IMHO his hair a little weird in game render. Cause when i see him from front side, he look like doesnt have pony tail.

Regenerating health is a step in the wrong direction. In addition to Big Boss's X-Ray vision from tagging his enemies, KojiPro is basically catering to the younger generation of COD gamers who need their hands held when playing these games.

Rations and regenerative items are like a stapled trademark of MGS (heck, even MG 1 and 2 had rations) and by excluding it, the series is just deviating further away from its identity.

Why Punished Snake in TPP are not look like that artwork????? (especially his hair)
I prefer his hair like that than in game hair, IMHO his hair a little weird in game render. Cause when i see him from front side, he look like doesnt have pony tail.

Well, Shinkawa's art tends to look a bit different than the in-game renders. I'm not sure if I like this one, though. To me, Big Boss looks a bit too much like Ocelot.

Last edited:
Back