Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MGS doesn't need rebooted but it needs MG and MG2 remade then to end. The timeline is complete. I just wish MGR:R had told the story of Raiden becoming a cyborg and saving Sunny instead of 'technically' being the end of the Metal Gear timeline

Sorry man, still don't see it :lol I find Naughty dog in general to be a bit more visceral than MGS, even in MGR you were splitting bodies in a million pieces, and it didn't feel one bit gruesome :lol maybe that'll change in MGSV, hopefully.

Character designs, environments etc etc, everything has that Japanese campiness going on in MGS, even if it's just a little bit, and ND in comparison looks more raw imo.

I wouldn't want a change of companies and could never see that happening. I just want MGS to finish off the timeline (Just TPP will be sufficient) then stop all together. Getting a new company to start fresh would be to give up rather than ending correctly.

I disagree. I think a lot of studios have been showing that with proper incentive, writers and creative talent behind it, any series can be handled as well, if not then better than the original creators.

Look at how Ninja Theory handled Devil May Cry with dMc. A lot of fans may cry foul about the remake/reboot, but it took a lot of the original story, refined and reshaped a few things and put out a fantastic product that was clean, concise and in the spirit of the original.

Konami's own Castlevania had become somewhat of a story mess as well and it was great they decided to start fresh and give Spanish developer MercurySteam a shot. Look at what has happened, there's reignited interest in Castlevania. Critics and fans both applauded how they created a fresh and new story while incorporating past characters and story ties. The whole Belmont-Dracula feud has NEVER been THIS personal in Castlevania.

I think this is the route to go with Metal Gear now. I think they should let the story by Kojima wind down and let the franchise "rest" and then bring about a new development team with talent to rewrite and take the decades of history behind Metal Gear into a concise and new storyline. You have characters you can build upon in new definitions and roles (like Lords of Shadow). Metal Gear (story-wise) now has become too inflated with its own mythology and background that it's perhaps better to start fresh to reignite the franchise.

I don’t think anyone in the industry can compare to Kojima, I know some of you guys don’t feel the same about the series anymore but a lot of people are extremely excited for this game. I wouldn’t compare a series like Metal Gear which is more story driven to a game like DMC.

I do agree with you that I would like Kojima to finish up what he wants to with the series and retire it for a while. Solid Snake’s story has been wrapped up, and Big Boss’ should be ending in this one. If another one was being made, then I think Kojima has to be involved. This series is his, any other developer would probably ruin it. I can see it being similar to the Terminator franchise if he lets it get taken over. I’d prefer no Metal Gear at all, than the series continuing with another team.

I don't see anything cartoony about The Last of Us, Uncharted sure, but I can see them going on a darker path.

If anything, Naughty Dog is way less melodramatic than Kojima.

Naughty Dawg is the best studio right now, but they only write simple stories, I don’t think their team is capable of writing a complex series like MG. Their strength is in bringing the emotion out of players through great acting and dialogue.

Kojima seems to be trying to do both with MGSV which is why I have high hopes this could be the best Metal Gear yet.

Last edited:
Naughty Dawg is the best studio right now, but they only write simple stories, I don’t think their team is capable of writing a complex series like MG. Their strength is in bringing the emotion out of players through great acting and dialogue.

Kojima seems to be trying to do both with MGSV which is why I have high hopes.

I think Naughty Dog is more than capable of handling MG. If anything, they can perhaps humanize Metal Gear again and bring some order to the chaotic story. Like Gaspar noted, Kojima is too melodramatic and in fact, that is a trait of Japanese developers that they put in their games. For being a "Western" style game, Metal Gear is too caught in its "Eastern" roots. There's drama in EVERYTHING when it doesn't have to be.

I look at Kojima as I do George Lucas. Kojima has enveloped Metal Gear into this "Star Wars"-like universe and created this entire mythology that is now being DAMAGED by its creator because he wants to tie everything together at once, going backwards and forwards and then back again and then forward again. He's not quite on Lucas-level yet, but he's getting there.

What Metal Gear needs now is a SIMPLE story. It needs a fresh start and it needs taking all those years of games and condensing it into a new and fresh history. "Ultimatize" it if you will like Marvel had done with their "Ultimate" series of comics (I'll fill you in if you don't know what I'm talking about), but this has got to end somewhere.

I'm excited for MGSV for the gameplay and it looks AWESOME. And I WANT to care about the story and I hope it's trim and done well, but knowing Kojima it will likely be more mess, and I'm prepared for that.

I think Naughty Dog is more than capable of handling MG. If anything, they can perhaps humanize Metal Gear again and bring some order to the chaotic story. Like Gaspar noted, Kojima is too melodramatic and in fact, that is a trait of Japanese developers that they put in their games. For being a "Western" style game, Metal Gear is too caught in its "Eastern" roots. There's drama in EVERYTHING when it doesn't have to be.

I look at Kojima as I do George Lucas. Kojima has enveloped Metal Gear into this "Star Wars"-like universe and created this entire mythology that is now being DAMAGED by its creator because he wants to tie everything together at once, going backwards and forwards and then back again and then forward again. He's not quite on Lucas-level yet, but he's getting there.

What Metal Gear needs now is a SIMPLE story. It needs a fresh start and it needs taking all those years of games and condensing it into a new and fresh history. "Ultimatize" it if you will like Marvel had done with their "Ultimate" series of comics (I'll fill you in if you don't know what I'm talking about), but this has got to end somewhere.

I'm excited for MGSV for the gameplay and it looks AWESOME. And I WANT to care about the story and I hope it's trim and done well, but knowing Kojima it will likely be more mess, and I'm prepared for that.

Yea, I agree with most of what you say. Most people aren't happy about Hayter being replaced, but getting Kiefer on board along with Troy Baker gives me some confidence that Kojima is aiming for less melodrama and little more realism with this games voice acting.

I was specifically talking about the writing of the story along with all the themes and subtexts Kojima puts into the series, but if we are talking about dialogue and voice acting, then Naughty Dawg hands down is the King of that.

Kojima said that this is sort of a reboot for the series, it looks like he is tackling exactly what most of us felt the series needed. Time will tell if he can do a decent job at it.

There are many little and big things in every MGS game that made the series very unique, and those things are all Kojima's ideas. Its his style, some people may not think its good, others like most of us here... love it.

The story is too long and complex to be taken by someone else, its like telling someone your life story, they will understand it but its not the same as living it. Living/making a story and watching/hearing a story are very different things :lecture he was there since the beginning, the whole thing came from his brains :lol

There are tons of talented people out there than could make a nice MGS game, like MGR. But it won't be like Kojima's MGS it will be something new and too different, I know most of the things that I love about MGS won't be there

Last edited:
There are many little and big things in every MGS game that made the series very unique, and those things are all Kojima's ideas. Its his style, some people may not think its good, others like most of us here... love it.

The story is too long and complex to be taken by someone else, its like telling someone your life story to someone they will understand it but its not the same. Living a story and watching/hearing a story are very different things :lecture he was there since the beginning, the whole thing came from his brains :lol

There are tons of talented people out there than could make a nice MGS game, like MGR. But it won't be like Kojima's MGS it will be something new and too different, most of the things that I love about MGS won't be there

:goodpost: preach on my good man.

The story is too long and complex to be taken by someone else, its like telling someone your life story to someone they will understand it but its not the same. Living a story and watching/hearing a story are very different things :lecture he was there since the beginning, the whole thing came from his brains :lol

There are tons of talented people out there than could make a nice MGS game, like MGR. But it won't be like Kojima's MGS it will be something new and too different, most of the things that I love about MGS won't be there

:goodpost: :clap

The story is too long and complex to be taken by someone else, its like telling someone your life story, they will understand it but its not the same as living it. Living/making a story and watching/hearing a story are very different things :lecture he was there since the beginning, the whole thing came from his brains :lol

There are tons of talented people out there than could make a nice MGS game, like MGR. But it won't be like Kojima's MGS it will be something new and too different, I know most of the things that I love about MGS won't be there

Well, my man, I'd like to point out the fact that as we speak, Disney is making a StarWars sequel :lol... Now, Episodes 1-3 AND the following retcons and changes are still products of George Lucas' mind....

Do you not think that Disney could do a better job than that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing Lucas to Kojima in the slightest, I still think Kojima's not anywhere near close of having the Lucas syndrome, I'm just pointing out that it is possible for someone to pick up a story as complex as MGS (i.e. Star Wars) and still be good.

That is of course, assuming Ep.VII ends up being good.

Well, my man, I'd like to point out the fact that as we speak, Disney is making a StarWars sequel :lol... Now, Episodes 1-3 AND the following retcons and changes are still products of George Lucas' mind....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing Lucas to Kojima in the slightest, I still think Kojima's not anywhere near close of having the Lucas syndrome, I'm just pointing out that it is possible for someone to pick up a story as complex as MGS (i.e. Star Wars) and still be good.

I always looked at Star Wars as straight forward simple story telling. I never thought the story was complex at all.

I always looked at Star Wars as straight forward simple story telling. I never thought the story was complex at all.

I'm not talking about the movies only, which are complex enough, maybe not as complex as MGS but still complex.

Add to that, the countless stories, prequels and sequels that come in form of other mediums such as TV, comics and videogames that were considered part of the canon, Star Wars easily tops MGS in terms of complexity, to the point that a team of Disney creatives had to be assembled just to decide what is going to be part of the new canon and what is not.

It can almost be compared to the family tree of 100 years of solitude :lol

MGS and Star Wars are light years appart, literally :lol I can't imagine two franchises more different, particularly in the way they are HANDLED. A ton of people made Star Wars stuff, games, books and George didn't write every single thing related to Star Wars out there.

MGS is still Kojima's baby, when you see something related to Star Wars is hard to know if George was behind unless someone confirms it, plus... his style changed over time. Kojima changed too yes... PW is not like MGS1, but his style is still there, can't say the same for Star Wars.

Personally I just can't compare this... MGS and SW are way too different IMHO but I get your point, thats why I said someone else can make a good MGS game :)

Last edited:
Back