Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This made me laugh.

Kojima Worried The Phantom Pain Is 'Too Big' to Finish
Creator wonders if players will complain the main game is too large.

Following up on previous claims, Metal Gear Solid creator worries that Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain "players will start complaining that they can’t clear the game, [it’s] too big to clear."

Speaking with IGN, Kojima said, "The Phantom Pain has the risk that people won’t be able to finish the story as it will be "more than 200x bigger than Ground Zeroes."

He would not elaborate. "I cannot disclose the amount of missions [in The Phantom Pain]," said Kojima, "but we’ll have a lot of missions in there.
Within Ground Zeroes, Kojima expects players to replay the main game. "It’s not about clearing the story, it’s not about clearing the mission," he explained. It's about discovering new elements, new routes, new ways to play.

Ground Zeroes recently fell under scrutiny for its two hour play-through time. To learn why I enjoyed it for more than eight hours, check out the latest MGS5 impressions piece on IGN.

This made me laugh.

Kojima Worried The Phantom Pain Is 'Too Big' to Finish
Creator wonders if players will complain the main game is too large.

Following up on previous claims, Metal Gear Solid creator worries that Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain "players will start complaining that they can’t clear the game, [it’s] too big to clear."

Speaking with IGN, Kojima said, "The Phantom Pain has the risk that people won’t be able to finish the story as it will be "more than 200x bigger than Ground Zeroes."

He would not elaborate. "I cannot disclose the amount of missions [in The Phantom Pain]," said Kojima, "but we’ll have a lot of missions in there.
Within Ground Zeroes, Kojima expects players to replay the main game. "It’s not about clearing the story, it’s not about clearing the mission," he explained. It's about discovering new elements, new routes, new ways to play.

Ground Zeroes recently fell under scrutiny for its two hour play-through time. To learn why I enjoyed it for more than eight hours, check out the latest MGS5 impressions piece on IGN.

Can't be more apparent that Kojima thinks he invented the sandbox genre :rotfl

Sandbox games are ok, but I can't ever get myself to complete them at 100%. All the GTA's of the world (while great games) bore me to death at a certain point, 100% the time.

I think that's what Kojima was referring to, it's just too much to do for the average gamer nowadays (work/school/significant other/toys-lol-) it actually feels like a chore to me TBH. I don't think I'm alone in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate sandbox type games Kojima games are long enough. I know i wont be completing everything in MGS5.

Ground Zeroes too short and Phantom Pain too long? Isn't the really obvious solution to have made MGSV in two halves, not a prologue then a massive game?

Dumb decision is dumb. :lol

Last edited:
Ground Zeroes too short and Phantom Pain too long, isn't the really obvious solution to have made MGSV in two halves not a prologue to a massive game?

Dumb decision is dumb. :lol

6925-1349945830.gif

j/k :lol

I jus' playin' wit chu

Well since Konami has NOTHING going on aside from MGS, I guess they figure they could release GZ this year and TPP next year. It's a definite cash in, and milking. It didn't need to come separately from the main game.

Sandbox games are ok, but I can't ever get myself to complete them at 100%. All the GTA's of the world (while great games) bore me to death at a certain point, 100% the time.

I think that's what Kojima was referring to, it's just too much to do for the average gamer nowadays (work/school/significant other/toys-lol-) it actually feels like a chore to me TBH. I don't think I'm alone in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:goodpost: :exactly: :lecture

It has been a chore to complete every GTA game for me.

I hate sandbox type games Kojima games are long enough. I know i wont be completing everything in MGS5.

Sounds like Ground Zeroes is more of your kind of game :wink1:

I can't see this having nearly the amount of side missions as a GTA game.

I can, if you can get 10 hours out of Ground Zeroes, TPP seems like it’s going to take forever to beat.

Well since Konami has NOTHING going on aside from MGS, I guess they figure they could release GZ this year and TPP next year. It's a definite cash in, and milking. It didn't need to come separately from the main game.

I believe I read Konami has two big AAA titles coming this year or next year.

Last edited:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/0...tiplayer-aims-for-global-appeal-accessibility

Kojima Productions Los Angeles is the lead studio on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain’s online multiplayer mode, which Hideo Kojima hopes will have a broader appeal than previous Metal Gear Online efforts.

“Most core users of Metal Gear Online in Japan are still giving a lot of criticism,” Kojima told IGN. "'Why are you creating this online mode in Los Angeles? You shouldn’t have it developed over there,'" fans say.

Kojima has his reasons."Metal Gear Online was a very successful online game in Japan," said Kojima, "but worldwide it wasn’t necessarily a success."

In North America and Europe, Metal Gear Solid 4's multiplayer didn't resonate. It had an audience, but it was small, certainly smaller than the Japanese player-base, which stuck with it for years. Global accessibility is something Kojima mentions often, and he hopes his team achieves this by having a collaborative, global development process.

To reassure Japanese fans, Kojima said, "several core members of our studio in Tokyo that were involved in the development of Metal Gear Online are working hand in hand together with Japan and LA."

That said, their primary goal with Metal Gear Solid 5's multiplayer "is creating an online mode everyone will be able to enjoy whether they’re in other continents or Japan. We are trying to make all the necessary adjustments through trial and error by having everyone work together."

Kojima Productions has yet to unveil its multiplayer for MGS5. Look for more on that, in addition to everything you need on Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain's single-player, stay tuned to IGN.

:goodpost: :exactly: :lecture

It has been a chore to complete every GTA game for me.

Sounds like Ground Zeroes is more of your kind of game :wink1:

I can, if you can get 10 hours out of Ground Zeroes, TPP seems like it’s going to take forever to beat.

I believe I read Konami has two big AAA titles coming this year or next year.

If that's true, we might get 1 or 2 good games out of them and then they'll be ****.

$20 is too much. Should be $10.

Yup. If this was at most $10, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. Most people want to feel like they're getting their money's worth with something. It's really not vibing well, even with many of the long-time fans of this series.

Let's all take a minute out of our day to mourn our fallen franchises.

Splinter Cell
Saints Row
Resident Evil
Silent Hill
Duke Nukem

View attachment 97398

You forgot to add MGS to that list :lecture :lol

But, I still enjoy Saints Row a lot.

If that's true, we might get 1 or 2 good games out of them and then they'll be ****.

Well, as of now, KojiPro is practically the only development branch of Konami that's capable of making the truly blockbuster releases. But, they've got their hands tied with MGS V. So, even if Konami does eventually resurrect popular franchises like Castlevania and Silent Hill - they will, without a doubt, hand the development over to KojiPro. But, I don't think that's likely to happen anytime soon - at least, not until MGS is wrapped up.

Unless they consider DDR and Contra as "Triple-A releases" - then I guess they can hand it over to a lesser known team of developers (aka. not KojiPro or Kojima). But, that won't turn out well :lol.

Last edited:
Back