Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have a PS4 by the time TPP and Arkham Knight come out. That is my promise to myself.

In a completely unrelated note anyone want a slightly used kidney for $400? I happen to have a spare.:wink1:

I will have a PS4 by the time TPP and Arkham Knight come out. That is my promise to myself.

In a completely unrelated note anyone want a slightly used kidney for $400? I happen to have a spare.:wink1:

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Maybe after this weekend :lol

As of right now, I don’t think buying a ps4 is necessary, not many games out. Getting it towards the end of the year is a smarter choice.

I agree , that's why i put off buying one. But With GZ, Infamous Second Son, Arkham Knight, and TPP i think I can justify the purchase.

Yea, also I don’t know if you’re interested in The Order 1886, and Destiny. This year should be pretty good for gaming.

Also more good news from IGN on MGSV

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/metal-gear-solid-5s-disturbing-scenes-must-go-to-the-limit

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ends with one of the most disturbing scenes I’ve ever seen in a game. It’s gross, it’s violent, it’s painful, it’s heartbreaking, and it’s something I won’t spoil here. But it’s going to draw attention.

The scene is in line with the more mature tone series creator Hideo Kojima wants to hit with this sequel.

So I asked him: Why is this sort of scene necessary? “I’m already thinking about sensitive things,” Kojima told IGN. “If we don’t cross that line, if we don’t make attempts with what we want to express, if we don’t go beyond that, we won’t be able to achieve what movies or novels have achieved. It’s trying to go beyond what the original media was supposed to be…. If we don’t go this far, games will never be considered as culture.”

If we don’t go this far, games will never be considered as culture. Kojima doesn’t want games to be thought of as something lesser than other media. “Look at something like Breaking Bad,” he said. “I see these guys are trying to go to the limit, trying to take it as far as they can, trying to get their message across.”

To that end, he continued, “We have to go to the limit [in games] We look around, we don’t see too many games like this. That is unfortunate. I don’t think all games necessarily have to go this far, but we have a message we want to convey. One of the main topics of Metal Gear Solid 5 is this chain of revenge.”

Ground Zeroes has numerous scenes with unsettling imagery and events. The specific scene I discussed with Kojima “becomes a ground zero for a lot of events that will come afterwards.” The director explained, “That is one thing I really didn’t want to step back from, I really didn’t want to go around it. I know I will probably face a lot of criticism for it, but I really wanted to portray that.”

For the guys here who were hoping Kojima doesn’t tippy toe around the dark tone, looks like they’re getting their wish :panic:

2vshmcn.jpg

YAY! Doge! :lol

Also more good news from IGN on MGSV

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/metal-gear-solid-5s-disturbing-scenes-must-go-to-the-limit

For the guys here who were hoping Kojima doesn’t tippy toe around the dark tone, looks like they’re getting their wish :panic:
That sounds morbidly good! :yess:

well see. the game does look awesome. the marketing makes me want to puke. i hope this game proves me wrong. i will not be playing this for ps3, my ps3 is going into my car with a solid state hdd with no blueray after i can get a ps4. it seems a step backwards trying to play such a beautiful game on last gen. i dont buy anything someone has to keep justifying to me that is worth it. ill wait til you guys are all blowing loads all over the place AFTER PLAYING IT before i buy this.

well see. the game does look awesome. the marketing makes me want to puke. i hope this game proves me wrong. i will not be playing this for ps3, my ps3 is going into my car with a solid state hdd with no blueray after i can get a ps4. it seems a step backwards trying to play such a beautiful game on last gen. i dont buy anything someone has to keep justifying to me that is worth it. ill wait til you guys are all blowing loads all over the place AFTER PLAYING IT before i buy this.

That can be said about a lot of games. Although... that Puma stuff was retarded and dated :lol

check out this gameplay

and an interview with Kojima

Nice, thanks

Dude... thats insane, I'm really excited about this now

ZYxBDZ9.gif

Also, wtf, the map is way bigger than I expected with in-door areas too. I didn't know that.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-rumor-vs-reality/1100-6418111/

Looks like more good news :panic:

Great article by Gamespot, they do a great job separating fact from fiction about GZ.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-ask-an-ign-editor-anything

IGN got 8 hours out of it. Sounds like 30 dollars is more than fine for this game.

Looks like Kojima is keeping his promise on the tone of the game.

About CQC

From another journalist https://www.complex.com/video-games...how-short-is-metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes

'As with so many things that become controversial these days, the length of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is both not as big a deal as some people have made it out to be, and it’s a far bigger deal than others would like to admit.

It’s also not an exaggeration.

Days after the Game Informer story hit, the publisher of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Konami Digital Entertainment, hosted a group of journalists at their Work Facility in Nasu, Japan, where they were given hours to play the game. Far more than just two short hours.

As one of those journalists, I can tell you, unequivocally, that the main mission in Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is really that short. Not including the opening movie or the ending cutscenes, credits, and trailer for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain — which Ground Zeroes really is the first chapter of — it took me exactly 78 minutes to complete my mission. And those were not an easy 78 minutes, either. I died multiple times and had to restart from my previous checkpoints. If I had been a bit more patient, or just flat out better at these kinds of games, I probably would’ve finished in a little over an hour.

But here’s the first wrinkle in the whole “too short” thing. It was a damn fun 78 minutes. A far more fun 78 minutes than I’ve had in a lot of other games I’ve played recently.

Set in 1975 — right after the events of 2010’s Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, and nine years before The Phantom Pain — Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes has the original Snake infiltrating Guantanamo Bay to rescue a couple kids. Using his usual mix of stealth and shooting, Snake has to locate the children and get them to a helicopter landing zone for extraction without being killed, or getting them killed, by all the highly trained soldiers who are, let’s be honest, just doing their job.

What makes Ground Zeroes different from previous Metal Gear Solid games, sort of, is that Guantanamo Bay is a wide open battlefield. Granted, it’s not a huge open world.

This isn’t 'Grand Theft Solid'.

Nor does it have the tons of mid-mission side quests of a typical open world game. But for a series built upon narrow corridors inside installations, it’s a radical departure.

https://www.examiner.com/article/me...focus-improving-your-game-is?cid=ex-games-rss

Seems like this isn’t a demo.

GREAT

There wasn't a really hard MGS after MGS2, it seems this one will be rough :yess:

Maybe to you, but I love doing extra missions in open world games. It’s one of my favorite features in the Arkham and GTA series.

I also edited a bunch of other good news from the journalists. With the new video and all this info released today, GZ just might be my second game of the year. I doubt it can touch Arkham Knight since it’s only a prologue.

:exactly: I'd rep you if I could :lol I love extra missions as well, I loved stuff like Boss Survival and VR missions from previous MGS games

159.gif

Same here

Last edited:
I have to say, I'm very perturbed about this overly dark tone and visceral tone of this game. I wouldn't mind a more serious tone, to say the least, especially given the oddball stuff from MGS 4 and Peace Walker. However, MGS games have never depended on the "shock factor" as part of their selling points. In terms of the storyline: intrinsic plots, sociopolitical themes, and unique characters are what's in the DNA of this series.

The way that Kojima describes it, and from how it's documented in that article, it leaves me with the impression that he's turning MGS V into some odd, European gore film. Now, I wouldn't mind things like that being experimented on with new IP, and as a matter of fact, Kojima did mention the inclusion of "taboo" elements in Project Ogre. But, of course, that IP was scrapped - or rather, it was transformed into MGS V. So now, we're stuck with a game that isn't truly MGS, but a re-labeled packaging of a vision that Kojima once had for his one, true non-MGS project in years.

If there's one thing I'm confident about, it's in Kojima's ability to progress games a step further into themes that would make them comparable with movies and novels, as he mentioned in that interview. However, he doesn't have to do all of that with MGS. In essence, by him trying all of these new things with just MGS alone, he's progressing the series away from its identity, and slapping the "MGS" label randomly on a game - that for all intents and purposes, would have worked well for a new IP (if Konami actually allowed him to develop one).

MGSV is still true to MGS alright, I've always found that phrase to be a little non sequitur given what we've seen so far, the new characters in this game are still unique (regardless if some people like them or not) and the sociopolitical themes here it seems, are stronger than ever , there's nothing wrong with experimenting or darkening the tone within the same franchise, in fact, I expect a visceral experience if it's really going to have BB dealing with his demons or rather turning himself into a demon.

I have to say, I'm very perturbed about this overly dark tone and visceral tone of this game. I wouldn't mind a more serious tone, to say the least, especially given the oddball stuff from MGS 4 and Peace Walker. However, MGS games have never depended on the "shock factor" as part of their selling points. In terms of the storyline: intrinsic plots, sociopolitical themes, and unique characters are what's in the DNA of this series.

The way that Kojima describes it, and from how it's documented in that article, it leaves me with the impression that he's turning MGS V into some odd, European gore film. Now, I wouldn't mind things like that being experimented on with new IP, and as a matter of fact, Kojima did mention the inclusion of "taboo" elements in Project Ogre. But, of course, that IP was scrapped - or rather, it was transformed into MGS V. So now, we're stuck with a game that isn't truly MGS, but a re-labeled packaging of a vision that Kojima once had for his one, true non-MGS project in years.

If there's one thing I'm confident about, it's in Kojima's ability to progress games a step further into themes that would make them comparable with movies and novels, as he mentioned in that interview. However, he doesn't have to do all of that with MGS. In essence, by him trying all of these new things with just MGS alone, he's progressing the series away from its identity, and slapping the "MGS" label randomly on a game - that for all intents and purposes, would have worked well for a new IP (if Konami actually allowed him to develop one).

I think he's trying to depict the consequences of war. I wouldn't compare this to the original games, Kojima keeps saying this is sort of a reinvention for the series. I could have sworn you were one of the people saying you wanted him to stick to his guns with the darker tone.

So is Ground zeroes basically just taking place at that one base?

Yea, but the base is pretty huge. You can enter corridors as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is Ground zeroes basically just taking place at that one base?

Pretty much. Ground Zeroes is basically one big level in the Sandbox, that stresses on replayablity by ranking your performance and completion times (with side missions tossed in somewhere). Some people seem to like that. I still can't stand that it's half the price of the second installment, The Phantom Pain - which is "200 times larger" than Ground Zeroes, according to Kojima.

I think he's trying to depict the consequences of war. I wouldn't compare this to the original games, Kojima keeps saying this is sort of a reinvention for the series. I could have sworn you were one of the people saying you wanted him to stick to his guns with the darker tone.

Yea, but the base is pretty huge. You can enter corridors as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if "reinvention" is a downplayed term for "relabling" - granted from what I mentioned before. And no. I loved the feel and the mood of MGS 1 and 2 the most. But, I've wanted Kojima to tune it down with the nonsensical Japanese humor that was present in MGS 4 and Peace Walker. That doesn't mean exploring the dark-side of things that haven't ever been present in the series.

Last edited:
MGSV is still true to MGS alright, I've always found that phrase to be a little non sequitur given what we've seen so far, the new characters in this game are still unique (regardless if some people like them or not) and the sociopolitical themes here it seems, are stronger than ever , there's nothing wrong with experimenting or darkening the tone within the same franchise, in fact, I expect a visceral experience if it's really going to have BB dealing with his demons or rather turning himself into a demon.

:goodpost: :exactly:

I will completely agree with you there, my friend. Big Boss was always scripted as a misunderstood hero in MGS, so it'll be strange for him to actually transform into a monster - when he was far from that in MGS 4. Having him fight his demons, rather than turning into one, would be a step in the right direction.

Yeah, BB really loses most of his appeal if he's a misunderstood good guy, even more at this point cause he should be a bastard, it's long overdue.

Maybe that's what they mean with the ending of GZ, maybe you, as BigBoss will end up doing horrible things, which was the reason the torture scene in GTAV was kind of controversial.

Last edited:

Yeah, BB really misses most of his appeal if he's a misunderstood good guy, even more at this point cause he should be a bastard, it's long overdue.

Maybe that's what they mean with the ending of GZ, maybe you, as BigBoss will end up doing horrible things, which was the reason the torture scene in GTAV was kind of controversial.

You know, I'll give you this. Depending on how Kojima can effectively script Big Boss's transformation, or rather, his struggles with his inner demons and still remain "good" - that will be something interesting to see. But, I'm still not buying into the overly "dark" themes that Kojima wants to experiment with. If it can be grounded in coherence with reason, and not just for the sake of shocking us, it might end up being something good.

Yup style over substance doesn't work for this franchise given it's complex nature, shock value will do no good if it doesn't serve a purpose.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

https://www.destructoid.com/war-has-changed-what-s-not-in-mgs-v-ground-zeroes-271476.phtml

What Ground Zeroes doesn’t have in it

Stopping Everything To Answer Your Codec: As much as I loved chatting with Master Miller about Alaskan field mice, discussing monster movies with Para-Medic, and hearing Colonel Campbell's funky beat poetry about scissors, there have definitely been moments when Codec calls have interrupted the flow of fast-paced Tactical Espionage Action™. However, I was pleased to discover that in Ground Zeroes, Snake has no qualms about putting Miller on speakerphone while he goes about his missions. This latest installment is fairly light on story, but if it truly is a demonstration of The Phantom Pain's mechanics, we're going to see a lot more integration between gameplay and story. And God willing, we won't have to watch any PowerPoint presentations from Otacon.

Somersaults: Or "tactical dives," or whatever else you want to call them. That move where Snake does a little roll, which can be used to knock down enemies, or to look hilariously clumsy on stairs. This has been replaced by a much more serpentine maneuver, which is Snake's ability to dive into a crawl. It's a lot more fun in action than it sounds, I promise. Though I'll definitely miss rolling into guards like the fat kid from Hook.

Rations: Look, it's 2014. It's time we accepted that it's just not realistic for video games to depict a man recovering from life-threatening injuries by eating several packages of freeze-dried food. It's much more realistic if the man's wounds go away on their own after he hides behind some cover for a brief period of time. The addition of modern regenerative health will undoubtedly ruffle some feathers, but if it's any consolation, Snake does have some kind of emergency health-spray for near-death moments, and based on his agonizing reaction when he applies it, it's a lot less enjoyable than a hot meal.

Knocking: "What was that noise?" Well, it was probably the sound of the outrage of thousands of fans at the fact that banging on walls is no longer available as a diversionary tactic. You can still throw used ammo magazines, though, so distracting guards shouldn't be too much of a problem (knock wood).

Tobacco Products: As functional in-game items, anyway. During my time with the game I encountered no interactive tobacco products. Then again, I also encountered no practical in-game use for such items, like laser tripwires or shaky hands during a tense boss battle with a sniper. If you want to make Big Boss look cool, you'll have to settle for reckless driving and blowing stuff up. Or, you can just stare at the menu screen, where he's puffing away at his cigar.

The Cardboard Box: Yeah, I know. I wish I could say there's some innovative next-gen alternative to the Metal Gear franchise's trademark technique of hiding inside a cardboard box, like... I dunno, a Ghillie suit or maybe one of those giant paper bags people use for yard waste. But I guess for Ground Zeroes, Kojima wanted to think outside the bo-- I'm sorry, I can't even make bad puns right now. I loved that box. That box was like a container to me.

Anyway, that's just some of the stuff that is NOT In Ground Zeroes. Bear in mind, there's plenty of familiar stuff that IS still there, and plenty more new stuff that's been added. Like JEEPS! Go read my full preview for the lowdown.

Most of these will be returning in TPP

Last edited:
Back