Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. I streamed the whole game, I should picking the game up tomorrow, if any members here live in NY hit me up by pm and I can tell you were to get it early.

I'm jealous you can get it tomorrow. Not sure of anyone breaking the street date here in TX. I have been trying to avoid the streams, but I am growing weak. But I do want my first playthrough to be it's own experience. Just a few more days.

I'm jealous you can get it tomorrow. Not sure of anyone breaking the street date here in TX. I have been trying to avoid the streams, but I am growing weak. But I do want my first playthrough to be it's own experience. Just a few more days.

Yea, I broke down, and pretty much watched the stream because one of my big mouth co-workers spoiled some stuff at work. I wasn’t disappointed with anything I saw in the game, from the gameplay, cutscenes and especially the voice acting. The only thing I can see it alienating some fans, due to it feeling quite different from any Metal Gear game ever released in terms of the story. It feels a bit like a Nolan version of Metal Gear, so I don’t know if everyone will enjoy it, but for me personally, after watching everything, I think the wait for The Phantom Pain is going be unbearable.

Yea, I broke down, and pretty much watched the stream because one of my big mouth co-workers spoiled some stuff at work. I wasn’t disappointed with anything I saw in the game, from the gameplay, cutscenes and especially the voice acting. The only thing I can see it alienating some fans, due to it feeling quite different from any Metal Gear game ever released in terms of the story. It feels a bit like a Nolan version of Metal Gear, so I don’t know if everyone will enjoy it, but for me personally, after watching everything, I think the wait for The Phantom Pain is going be unbearable.

I never got the perception that Nolan's films were so much darker than say Burton's. But this does have me curious. Do you mean that Kojima is just preenting the story with a little less humor and tongue in cheek? Or is he actually going into some grim places? I assumed he would, because the extended trailer seemed to focus a great deal on the desire for revenge, and forsaking anything and everything to achieve that end. Do you think this is where we will see Big Boss as a villain by the end of PP?

I never got the perception that Nolan's films were so much darker than say Burton's. But this does have me curious. Do you mean that Kojima is just preenting the story with a little less humor and tongue in cheek? Or is he actually going into some grim places? I assumed he would, because the extended trailer seemed to focus a great deal on the desire for revenge, and forsaking anything and everything to achieve that end. Do you think this is where we will see Big Boss as a villain by the end of PP?

Pretty much, the humor and jokes are pretty much gone, which is why I compared this to Nolan, Burton’s Batman was dark, but still fun as well. Grim places indeed, Skull Face is shaping up to be the Joker of the Metal Gear Universe. With the glimpse of what Kojima gives us this game, I have zero doubt that Big Boss will be doing some horrific stuff in TPP. I expect Kojima to be taking some heat for a while, with some of the things he put in this game. He’s definitely tackling the issues he wanted, and isn’t tippy toeing around them.

Last edited:

I'll wait this one out, not only for the price drop, but just to test the water to see if this is really the Metal Gear game that I'd like to play. This is the first time that I've ever been as conflicted with MGS. On one hand, I love how Kojima is returning to a more serious tone in the series, since the comedy was getting too out-of-hand in Peace Walker and MGS 4. But, I'm not sure if it's a wise decision, to shift to such a dark direction that's never been present in the series.

As much as I've criticized this game, I'll try to keep an open-mind about things. But, from looking at the trailers and the game-play videos, I can already see that there's very little that I can identity with Ground Zeroes as being MGS. All-in-all, it just doesn't feel like the same series anymore, and I think the fan-base is at this divide right now where there's possibly no coming back.

I'll wait this one out, not only for the price drop, but just to test the water to see if this is really the Metal Gear game that I'd like to play. This is the first time that I've ever been as conflicted with MGS. On one hand, I love how Kojima is returning to a more serious tone in the series, since the comedy was getting too out-of-hand in Peace Walker and MGS 4. But, I'm not sure if it's a wise decision, to shift to such a dark direction that's never been present in the series.

As much as I've criticized this game, I'll try to keep an open-mind about things. But, from looking at the trailers and the game-play videos, I can already see that there's very little that I can identity with Ground Zeroes as being MGS. All-in-all, it just doesn't feel like the same series anymore, and I think the fan-base is at this divide right now where there's possibly no coming back.

Serious question, how exactly is this game not MGS?! Big Boss is back. I've seen some really good gameplay that shows of the espionage tactics. A lot of issues that fans were having was the game being too easy and too short, but i think Kojima already addressed that. Most of those features can be turned off, and most people that are playing already said they've got 8+ hours out of the game. Looks like Kojima enhanced this series to the fullest. What is conflicting you?

-HS

Since you're new here (I'd assume), I suggest that you hunker down, grab some coffee and read through the thread, and the poll thread that was created about Ground Zero's pricing. There have been a lot of discussions and debates about this series and its future; far too much for me to condense into a short reply right now, which I don't feel like doing at the moment.

Yea, that's why I think some here might have some problems with it, because there are times it felt like I was watching a new game (a great one) because of how much more serious the game is than the others in the series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol

I don't know which is funnier, PW's story or the idea that Kojima is trying to convince people the story was deep.
Hey man there was totally some deep **** with the repeat of The boss and what Bigu Bawse thinks of her and those singing robots and the useless side characters and everything else weird.
Wait no you're right Pliss
and pturtle, the reassurance is nice but I don't think any game can reach PW's mediocre story.

Since you're new here (I'd assume), I suggest that you hunker down, grab some coffee and read through the thread, and the poll thread that was created about Ground Zero's pricing. There have been a lot of discussions and debates about this series and its future; far too much for me to condense into a short reply right now, which I don't feel like doing at the moment.

Alright, I read through just a bit of the thread and I didn't have to go that far back to see the discontent for this game. A good amount of people here seem to want to boycott the game. Hope you guys don't go back on your word and can stay strong and stick it to Kojima. Me on the other hand, I'll be playing this title the minute it comes out.

HS

For the people who've been discontented, no one has said that they'll be boycotting this game (at least, not indefinitely). But, good for you :lol.

Last edited:
Hey man there was totally some deep **** with the repeat of The boss and what Bigu Bawse thinks of her and those singing robots and the useless side characters and everything else weird.
Wait no you're right Pliss
and pturtle, the reassurance is nice but I don't think any game can reach PW's mediocre story.

Aside from the odd things about Peace Walker, I think its storyline actually took the series a step-back instead of progressing it forward. After the end of Portable Ops, I really got the impression that Big Boss was ready to step out and become the "Big Boss" that we've heard about. But, then Peace Walker came along, and for some reason, he's still dealing with all of his issues from MGS 3.

Aside from the odd things about Peace Walker, I think its storyline actually took the series a step-back instead of progressing it forward. After the end of Portable Ops, I really got the impression that Big Boss was ready to step out and become the "Big Boss" that we've heard about. But, then Peace Walker came along, and for some reason, he's still dealing with all of his issues from MGS 3.

With GZ he's over all that other stuff. Like the trailers show, some unfortunate events are going to turn him into the Big Boss we all heard about. He's driven by revenge, I don't he will be thinking about the Boss too much in the TPP, so MGSV does feel like the progress PW strayed from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would have been nice for the intro/tutorial to have him deal with it and then be over it, but I was pretty disappointed. PW also I think suffered in my eyes due to me playing it on a console and not the PSP cause it seems more lack luster then.

cant wait to be proven wrong, wellcqcaboutthat, paramedic. didnt say i wasnt going to play it, i just dont want a demo, no one did. i hate how this is being fed to us down to what we got. im a huge fan of the series but this has been pissing me off all along the way.

550x-Facepalm-by-Batman.jpg

They're not. They're pretentious and shove themes and philosophical discussions in you face which gave the movies the impression that they have more weight than they actually do. Heck, all the characters talk mostly in speeches. Young people gravitate to that, they need that sense that the media they're consuming is relevant and has big idea. The Burton movies were far darker since they imply themes rather than shove them down your throat.

I don' t like the Nolan Batman movies for that (and other) reasons but make no mistake, I'm grateful to him for bringing back Batman back to the spotlight and there's nothing wrong with preferring the Nolan movies over Buton's. I don't think it would have worked if they rebooted it with the "superficial" Batman form the Burton, Animated Series or the comics way back in 2005.

It's just rather annoying that games and movies are taking his approach as well when it's not needed to, such as Man of Steel and Tomb Raider.

I hope MGSV will turn out for the best when I play it sometime next week.

Last edited:
550x-Facepalm-by-Batman.jpg

They're not. They're pretentious and shove themes and philosophical discussions in you face which gave the movies the impression that they have more weight than they actually do. Heck, all the characters talk mostly in speeches. Young people gravitate to that, they need that sense that the media they're consuming is relevant and has big idea. The Burton movies were far darker since they imply themes rather than shove them down your throat.

I don' t like the Nolan Batman movies for that (and other) reasons but make no mistake, I'm grateful to him for bringing back Batman back to the spotlight and there's nothing wrong with preferring the Nolan movies over Buton's. I don't think it would have worked if they rebooted it with the "superficial" Batman form the Burton, Animated Series or the comics way back in 2005.

It's just rather annoying that games and movies are taking his approach as well when it's not needed to, such as Man of Steel and Tomb Raider.

I hope MGSV will turn out for the best when I play it sometime next week.

That’s why I can tell a lot of older fans might not like this new direction, at least for GZ, the game isn’t just dark, but it’s very serious.

Off topic, I think Nolan’s Batman films are incredible, I grew up on the Burton films, but they really can’t be compared in my opinion. Especially Batman Returns, I can’t believe how bad that script is. Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight are damn near perfect for what they were trying to achieve. Rises was a bit too ambitious, but a great ending nonetheless. It really comes down to opinion, depends on what you like, but 89 Batman, and the Nolan trilogy are not bad films at all.

Back