Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bare in mind, I didn't complete it. I gave it 15 minutes, and I shut it off. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but I honestly thought my time would be best spent just going on Youtube the rest of the night.

It's too Hollywood, it almost reminds me of the film The Rock. The whole opening scene where, it needs to cut to slow motion with the XOF patches... I cringed. Too cliche, and MGS is better than that.

The gameplay is good, but the CQC kill animation looks cheap to me. I like the Binocular button feature, but tagging is too tempting. Can you shut that off? I drove a little in a jeep... meh.

And the biggest thing to mention... is Sutherland. I'd say 40% of his lines are tolerable, while the other 60%... it sounds so apparent that he's got a script in front of him if you understand what I mean. Miller, I forget the actor, is just as good as he was in PW. Skull Face's VA... didn't like him at all. Doesn't match his appearance at all, but is that on purpose? :dunno

Overall, I'm glad I didn't pay full price. I'll have a complete review tomorrow since I'll have much more time to kill.

EDIT: I already didn't like it from the initial trailers but I hate BB's face model. iDroid is neat, but I can't stand it's 70's tech.

Bare in mind, I didn't complete it. I gave it 15 minutes, and I shut it off. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but I honestly thought my time would be best spent just going on Youtube the rest of the night.

It's too Hollywood, it almost reminds me of the film The Rock. The whole opening scene where, it needs to cut to slow motion with the XOF patches... I cringed. Too cliche, and MGS is better than that.

The gameplay is good, but the CQC kill animation looks cheap to me. I like the Binocular button feature, but tagging is too tempting. Can you shut that off? I drove a little in a jeep... meh.

And the biggest thing to mention... is Sutherland. I'd say 40% of his lines are tolerable, while the other 60%... it sounds so apparent that he's got a script in front of him if you understand what I mean. Miller, I forget the actor, is just as good as he was in PW. Skull Face's VA... didn't like him at all. Doesn't match his appearance at all, but is that on purpose? :dunno

Overall, I'm glad I didn't pay full price. I'll have a complete review tomorrow since I'll have much more time to kill.

EDIT: I already didn't like it from the initial trailers but I hate BB's face model. iDroid is neat, but I can't stand it's 70's tech.

Wow maybe this game isn't for you maybe you out grown the series .

Yeah, I think Kiefer's delivery of his lines was the biggest drawback of Ground Zeroes. It kind of killed the experience for me, and I just can't get used to it.

You can turn off the tagging system in the options menu. There's also a slow-motion "reflex" mode, but I'd suggest keeping it for those close encounters with enemy soldiers (and you do get spotted A LOT). It's a fun "demo" experience of TPP, if you give it a chance for at least an hour :lol. I didn't like the overall tone of the storyline, but the gameplay's actually pretty fun - it shows what MGS is truly capable of in the Sandbox.

I don't think I've grown out of it, I think the series has grown out of itself.

I think it has reached that point, where the canon has gotten too large and out of control for its own good. The series needs some closure at this point, and I think TPP (and whatever remakes) should be the only games left.

All the features are changeable which is awesome. I hated the CQC animation too, they did it better in PW. Also the death rag-dolling is terrible. MGS4 had the best id seen in any game, only to down grade now?

On the Sutherland VA it does sound like hes phoning it in at some points, which now surprises me seeing how excited he seemed at the VGAs. The other VAs all around did a great job at delivering a much more naturalistic performance (surprised by Chico the most). Excpet for the awful Skull face like you said

His face model grew on me, right around the time they released the Afganistan demo. Looks cool (not much like Solid though imo)

The gameplay alone is fun enough to continue, i think you should give it more of a chance.

Yeah, I think Kiefer's delivery of his lines was the biggest drawback of Ground Zeroes. It kind of killed the experience for me, and I just can't get used to it.

You can turn off the tagging system in the options menu. There's also a slow-motion "reflex" mode, but I'd suggest keeping it for those close encounters with enemy soldiers (and you do get spotted A LOT). It's a fun "demo" experience of TPP, if you give it a chance for at least an hour :lol. I didn't like the overall tone of the storyline, but the gameplay's actually pretty fun - it shows what MGS is truly capable of in the Sandbox.

I think it has reached that point, where the canon has gotten too large and out of control for its own good. The series needs some closure at this point, and I think TPP (and whatever remakes) should be the only games left.

I think you're right. It won't happen anytime soon, but I think it's time for MGS to come to a complete end if no remakes are planned. I think it's run it's course.

All the features are changeable which is awesome. I hated the CQC animation too, they did it better in PW. Also the death rag-dolling is terrible. MGS4 had the best id seen in any game, only to down grade now?

On the Sutherland VA it does sound like hes phoning it in at some points, which now surprises me seeing how excited he seemed at the VGAs. The other VAs all around did a great job at delivering a much more naturalistic performance (surprised by Chico the most). Excpet for the awful Skull face like you said

His face model grew on me, right around the time they released the Afganistan demo. Looks cool (not much like Solid though imo)

The gameplay alone is fun enough to continue, i think you should give it more of a chance.

Gameplay is fun, but needs a lot of cleaning up. You reminded me, the rag dolling is really, really bad. I walked over a body and I literally kicked it around on the ground like it was a plastic toy :lol

The slow mo wasn't as annoying as I read it to be. I was thinking it happens the entire time you're in alert, but for a few seconds it seems useful. Although I'd prefer it like the MGS of ole and have no help.

You can do fun things with the rag dolling, though. Remember when Ryan posted a photo of Big Boss giving a bj to dead soldier? :rotfl

You can do fun things with the rag dolling, though. Remember when Ryan posted a photo of Big Boss giving a bj to dead soldier? :rotfl

That's where he gets the "Venom" from :lol

Same. But I'm still playing it, just cause. Do the controls feel wonky for you?

They're okay, I don't think it's nearly as smooth as it could be.

Anyone think he's regular running animation is weird? It looks constipated.

Mentioning controls, Kiba, are you using a mouse andkeyboard or a game-pad?

I thought the that sensitivity when aiming was a little off when I tried the PC version. But, then I realized that I was using my old DS3 controller, and the thumbsticks are a little wobbly. I ordered a DS4 last night, so I'll see if there's any improvement.

That's where he gets the "Venom" from :lol

They're okay, I don't think it's nearly as smooth as it could be.

Anyone think he's regular running animation is weird? It looks constipated.

I didn't notice that :lol. But, I don't like how Big Boss lunges to the ground now, instead of somersaulting. It always looks painful, like the slipped and broke his d**k or something.

Overall, I don't have many issues about the gameplay. It's really the storyline and voice acting that are my biggest gripes.

I've said it before, but I think the music in this game is the worst offender, even more disappointing than Sutherland's monotone voice or the barren military complex with no interiors. It's not just the worst soundtrack in a Metal Gear title, it's probably some of the most underwhelming music in a game ever.

From the original Metal Gear in 1987 to the spin off titles like Metal Gear Acid, every entry in the series features exemplary compositions from talented composers. MGSV composer Ludvig Forssell just doesn't cut it. At all.

I've said it before, but I think the music in this game is the worst offender, even more disappointing than Sutherland's monotone voice or the barren military complex with no interiors. It's not just the worst soundtrack in a Metal Gear title, it's probably some of the most underwhelming music in a game ever.

From the original Metal Gear in 1987 to the spin off titles like Metal Gear Acid, every entry in the series features exemplary compositions from talented composers. MGSV composer Ludvig Forssell just doesn't cut it. At all.

That's disappointing to hear. I've been looking forward to TPP for ages, was planning on building a PC just to play it on next year. Music is a HUGE part of what has made these games so great over the years.

I'm probably going to catch a lot of flak for this, but Portable Ops, the Ac!d games and Rising are actually my favourites out of the series.

That's disappointing to hear. I've been looking forward to TPP for ages, was planning on building a PC just to play it on next year. Music is a HUGE part of what has made these games so great over the years..

Been a music fan all my life, and the MG series has some of the best and most lovingly composed music in gaming. Saying GZ's soundtrack was a disappointment is an understatement. It's just leaky, distorted Hans Zimmer bass.

I'm probably going to catch a lot of flak for this, but Portable Ops, the Ac!d games and Rising are actually my favourites out of the series.

Nothing wrong with that at all. MPO was a great game hampered by some dated mechanics, but I liked it a lot more than Peace Walker. Acid2 was FANTASTIC and I love the twist with Snake and Venus. Rising was a huge breath of fresh air, and for my money, the best Metal Gear game since MGS3.

If you haven't played Ghost Babel, check that out too.

Been a music fan all my life, and the MG series has some of the best and most lovingly composed music in gaming. Saying GZ's soundtrack was a disappointment is an understatement. It's just leaky, distorted Hans Zimmer bass.

Nothing wrong with that at all. MPO was a great game hampered by some dated mechanics, but I liked it a lot more than Peace Walker. Acid2 was FANTASTIC and I love the twist with Snake and Venus. Rising was a huge breath of fresh air, and for my money, the best Metal Gear game since MGS3.

If you haven't played Ghost Babel, check that out too.

I haven't played Ghost Babel, I'll have to check that out. Also I haven't played Peace Walker yet. Maybe time to dust off the old modded PSP...

I haven't played Ghost Babel, I'll have to check that out. Also I haven't played Peace Walker yet. Maybe time to dust off the old modded PSP...

Ghost Babel is superb, with some of the best music in a MGS game. As for Peace Walker, don't you have the MGS HD Collection?

Ghost Babel is superb, with some of the best music in a MGS game. As for Peace Walker, don't you have the MGS HD Collection?

No, I played them all when they first came out. No longer own any consoles besides a PSP that hasn't been charged up in years and a Neo Geo Pocket Color.

Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 05.40.13.jpg

God, I'm old.

I've watched plathroughs of GZ, and it's music is pretty under whelming. Where-as the trailer music for TPPis meh at best, too generic to care. However, nothing beats Snake Eater. So cheesy...yet addictive >.> the music really is pretty sweet in MGS games, even PW and 4 had solid tunes.

Back