Things I Hate

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parents who constantly enable and make excuses for their child's irresponsibility.

I have a student in my class this year who legitimately has ADHD- and is a very sweet kid- but her mother encourages her to give up and complain incessantly in class. I have already made multiple modifications to instruction such as allowing her to pick her own partner during group work, using the restroom as often as she likes because she might be on her menstrual, she sits RIGHT in front of my desk so that I won't miss her hand if she has a question, and I made her a special flag that she can raise whenever she wants 'immediate' help; basically, if multiple kids are raising their hand, I call on her first if she has the flag up. This same parent also refuses to allow the school to give the girl a 504 plan for testing accommodations because she doesn't want her daughter labeled.

Let me preface by saying that the kid is an all A/B student; she is very smart. We were doing a 'dry run' on the essential standards of the California State Test yesterday and this young lady interrupted me 20 times+ during the 60 minute testing block to complain that she didn't understand the work. Finally, I asked her, "J****, do you see any other student complaining every few minutes and asking for help on every question?"

I guess mom came in yesterday to request a meeting with administration and I already know what the meeting is going to be about: mom is going to say that I refuse to help her daughter with her work, I am ignoring her disability, I only allowed her to go to the restroom once during the test, and I embarrassed her in front of the class. :slap

Last edited:
Parents who constantly enable and make excuses for their child's irresponsibility.

I wonder what the parents of the other 20+ students in the class might say about the disproportionate use of teacher time and resources allocated to one student...

That's what did my head in most about school teaching. The amount of note taking I'd have to do to make sure my back was covered if and when I was asked to front up to one of these meetings with parents.

I hope your principal and admin have the balls to back your professional judgement and tell this mom to back the **** off so the school can do its job.

My wife teaches in a public school. There's a set of young twin girls who haven't learned their own names because their parents just call them "the twins" around the house.

I have twin girls. This story makes me so f'king mad.

I know exactly how you feel. We have the same thing going on in our school too. You either have the parents who go over board with their kids, or ones who completely ignore them or their problems all together.

I know exactly how you feel. We have the same thing going on in our school too. You either have the parents who go over board with their kids, or ones who completely ignore them or their problems all together.

This :goodpost: the pendulum swings to both extremes.

This parent is hard to deal with because she is in denial that her kid is a pain-in-the-ass but she recognizes that her kid has ADHD and expects me to pander to her (the daughter) and make constant accommodations.

In 3rd, she was a severe discipline problem, so in 4th mom had her placed with a 'strict' teacher. Mom felt like her daughter was being picked on, so then moved her to a new 4th teacher mid year. This year, mom wanted her with a male teacher, so she requested me.

I genuinely feel bad for her because she is a sweet kid and has no clue that she is a PITA and she annoys the rest of the students. The poor kid is going to have a very rough time in middle school.

Is she taking meds?

Yes, she does and they help quite a bit; I can tell within the first 30 minutes of the day if she missed her dose. Honestly, her ADHD isn't the main issue because I don't mind making accommodations/modifications for her. The bigger issue is that her mother hinders any effort to help J*** learn management strategies and wants 90% of my classroom attention directed at her. I know that I can be impatient with her when she interrupts nonstop or starts complaining, but it feels like mom thinks this behavior is justified because she has ADHD and that I should spend the entire math or ELA block giving her daughter 1-on-1 instruction.

I avoid lunchroom drama, so thanks for letting me vent folks. :monkey3

Last edited:
Toys R Us.

Went there for the first time in almost ten years. Same crappy atmosphere store, employees and toy selection. Looking at the lower end toy figure now, they are nothing but garbage. How anyone here still collects those is beyond me.

Toys R Us.

Went there for the first time in almost ten years. Same crappy atmosphere store, employees and toy selection. Looking at the lower end toy figure now, they are nothing but garbage. How anyone here still collects those is beyond me.

We wish the paintjobs were better but I still see an appeal in those being all-sculpted figures. Bit of a nostalgia thing too I think. Anyone whose been collecting since they were a child started at low end.

Lucky we just went there to get some Legos my nephew. They do have some kewl Monster Legos.

But yea, for the figures there was a "Final Fight" Batman Rises figures with a shirtless Bane that I don't recall him being shirtless and a Batman with horrible applied gold paint aps. Terrible stuff. I chuckled a bit.

The only good thing they sell at TRU is the GI Joes.

Almost all the NECA figures are ****ing crap. There are a few really nice ones, but for the most part...****ing crap. All the Predators = Crap. All the Terminators = Crap.

The 18 inch stuff is nice. But that's it. :lol

The only good thing they sell at TRU is the GI Joes.

Almost all the NECA figures are ****ing crap. There are a few really nice ones, but for the most part...****ing crap. All the Predators = Crap. All the Terminators = Crap.

The 18 inch stuff is nice. But that's it. :lol
My Neca B&W turtles are the **** :lecture but seriously though they are about the only Neca toy I have really liked enough to buy. I agree with you on the Predators they look pretty ****ty I have never seen one out of the package because I can't get my self to buy one :lol

Hrmpphh! If Selektiv were here he'd show you!

I don't want to deal with those NECA trolls. :lol

I don't hate NECA, but they are more misses then hits.

Best lines they've done recently, Prometheus, Borderlands (at least that Clap Trap. Really slick piece), and Evil Dead 2. (not counting the 18inch Predators, which are very nice. )

Meh I still love their Terminator, Predator and Alien lines. **** all y'all!

Anyway my next hate, though hate may be too strong a word, that newbs can start threads. They just don't seem to have the sense to search through the clearly labelled sections and post in an existing thread. And its so often a question that could be answered by one post....it doesn't need a thread on the subject....anyway its happening right now.

Hey now, I didn't say you can't like them. :lol

I just personally don't, and find those idiot defenders to be annoying.

You're not. :lol. You like them, you buy them, they're good to you, and that's cool.

Back