1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That appears to be a fan-made item:
https://www.yourprops.com/Darth-Vad...ar-Wars-Return-Of-The-Jedi-1983-YP810237.html
I'm still on the hunt for the true heritage of those internal details.

Yes, fan made but yet another look inside. Everyone seems to be getting their information about the inside from a similar source though -- in 1983 the mask-makers probably weren't given any instruction about the inside of the mask. Lucas didn't care at that point -- his Star Wars was finished in his eyes then. He was done with it all; cancelled Episodes 1-3 and 7-9 as well.

I'm just gonna use some angelus leather paint to touch up my vader boots. I've used it before and works pretty well

I'm just gonna use some angelus leather paint to touch up my vader boots. I've used it before and works pretty well
Any of the HT Vader boots will work across any of the figures. The shin guards are on velcro so you can get a new pair from the OWK or ROTJ figure and swap the shin guards with the ones you already have and you'll be good to go.

Any of the HT Vader boots will work across any of the figures. The shin guards are on velcro so you can get a new pair from the OWK or ROTJ figure and swap the shin guards with the ones you already have and you'll be good to go.
Yeah, I figured they're easy to come by. Was looking for something not pleather, but doesn't look like anyone makes something like that

Ok, I've heard enough mention of the pleather that I will ask, how big of an issue is it? Is it a problem of damage from holding certain poses or a deterioration?
hru7jOZbUny9ZNiBQ0K-cVbDPV1P4dYFUbydsfe1tO6ruTcoOtO6JN-mQckjq3kevyA-QuvNgzAwC--zwOy-ALYrvx5P8fGn61wIT7or_t2sGaNt7vs4I9NoEQJFPyP2DLZCOl0d__KFSKtoUsQzZfQOjNfe

Yeah, I figured they're easy to come by. Was looking for something not pleather, but doesn't look like anyone makes something like that
The closest you'll get are some DiD German Officer Jack Boots that are made of real leather; but the one caveat here is that the Vader figures use a unique ankle joint that is more like an enlarged wrist peg design so you can't easily swap boots to just anything.

If you want plastic boots, you could try the Sideshow ROTJ Vader boots, but their ankle joint "prongs" are larger than HT so you'd have to take a dremel to the HT ankle openings to make them big enough to fit the sideshow boots.

The closest you'll get are some DiD German Officer Jack Boots that are made of real leather; but the one caveat here is that the Vader figures use a unique ankle joint that is more like an enlarged wrist peg design so you can't easily swap boots to just anything.

If you want plastic boots, you could try the Sideshow ROTJ Vader boots, but their ankle joint "prongs" are larger than HT so you'd have to take a dremel to the HT ankle openings to make them big enough to fit the sideshow boots.
Might take a look at the SS boots. Thanks!

As much as I love the idea of the translucent helmet/skull, I'm not sure I've seen a single pic where it looks cool. The lightning accessory doesn't catch the flickery light and is maybe too limited only being around the head (not extending a bit further to chest like in movie,) looking more like "just got hit in the head" Looney Toons swirling stars or maybe even crazy hair.

Seems like there should maybe have been a swap-out translucent chest armor piece and maybe even forearm to make the effect look more like the movie but I guess that would have been too hard to pull off.

Attachments

• beetle.png
    beetle.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
It looks like the fan prop and the HT inner mask draw from the Sideshow life size bust. If sideshow designed the inner mask, Lucasfilm would have approved the design first. Most likely, Sideshow received some sort of guidance from Lucasfilm rather than coming up with the design. HT probably received the same guidance.
1724103392806.jpeg

IMG_3034.png

Last edited:
Looks like the OWK body on this from the videos, looking forward to get this in hand so I can pose it and OWK Vader in the DBZ fusion stance together.

This.

HT bulk and disproportionate body just ruins another Vader release.
Agreed. If they're still using the Man of Steel body for this like they've done for ANH 1.0 & 2.0 and ESB verisions, then the waist is just too small for Prowse's build as he was more barrel chested. I wonder what a Ganghood/Bane torso would look like one this and if that could solve the problem 🤔

Happy to be proven wrong once we start seeing more full break downs of the figure popping up; but as it stands, I'm not seeing the RO/OWK Vader body on this new ROTJ figure.

Shape of the legs/thighs, sunken in waist, and broad chest all point to the MoS/ANH/ESB body to me. The RO/OWK body uses a padded "fat suit" over the body to fill it out while the MoS/ANH/ESB body doesn't.

Last edited:
Happy to be proven wrong once we start seeing more full break downs of the figure popping up; but as it stands, I'm not seeing the RO/OWK Vader body on this new ROTJ figure.

Shape of the legs/thighs, sunken in waist, broad chest all point to the MoS/ANH/ESB body.
Agree. I’ve taken enough of these things apart, that I don’t see any indication that it’s the OWK body on the ROTJ Vader.

Back