1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies for the little non-HT question, but all the Vader experts seem to be in this thread lol.

Can anyone recommend a good non-HT Vader figure with the ESB/ROTJ helmet design? I am talking specifically about the different eye shape that he has in those 2 films and how the dome sits a bit higher, compared to the OWK/RO/ANH look.

The Hot Toys ESB version (even with the extreme insectoid-shaped eyes) and this new 40th anniversary ROTJ one nail it, but none of the cheaper Black Series or TVC versions seem to get it right.

There is something off about the Black Series ESB version (the dome is shaped weird) and the ROTJ 40th TVC version doesn't seem to be accurate either.

However, the Dark Times TVC figure did the Kenobi/RO/ANH design perfect in a cheaper form, so I am essentially looking for something similar but for ESB/ROTJ instead.

The closest to this in a non-Hot Toys form:

View attachment 721731

I've researched quite a lot and it SH Figuarts ROTJ Vader comes very close.

I will really appreciate if someone can give some expert knowledge.

Thank you!
The best non-HT Vaders as far as accurate helmets are the 3 most recent hasbro vintage collection Vaders (OWK, ROTJ, ANH). Unfortunately, they are 1/18 scale. I am hoping they upscale the sculpt and include it on whatever the next black series release is.

Is this still available anywhere for a decent price? Since they changed the helmet from the ESB version, I want to pick it up.

Yeah, they make incremental improvements. Maybe they do it because they know idiots like me will keep buying them lol
That's EXACTLY why they do it.

We've cracked the hot toys code lol
IMG_4747.gif

Does anyone know where I could get some leather straps like the ones that attach to the chestbox? I have a couple of leather suits for my ANH and ESB, and wanting to get some leather for those bits also

The new helmet sculpt seems the best yet for a 1:6 figure, but how movie accurate it is? Any noticeable flaws like the eyes, mouth grills, dome proportions etc.. like ESB or just "less worse" ? Something my eyes can't detect yet but will become annoying over time?

Like I read in previous pages the new helmet sculpt might be based on a prop replica. True? So could this be the definitive Vader head sculpt (mask and dome)?

The rest of the body seems good enough so that's not what I want people to comment on.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture? Thanks in advance.
Yeah, here you go. I did a little work on the helmet and the tusks. I still have to work on the nose a little, but the OWK body is so much better.
I also added a reworked ESB helmet for my Sideshow ROTJ Vader. I like the way Sideshow made the upper torso meatier than HT did.
IMG_8759.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8760.jpeg
    IMG_8760.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8761.jpeg
    IMG_8761.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8762.jpeg
    IMG_8762.jpeg
    990.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8764.jpeg
    IMG_8764.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8766.jpeg
    IMG_8766.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8767.jpeg
    IMG_8767.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Can’t wait for the new HT ROTJ Vader to get here next month!!

How is OWK body different besides ankle pegs? I don't have this in hand yet but looks like suit/padding differences besides the ankles

How is OWK body different besides ankle pegs? I don't have this in hand yet but looks like suit/padding differences besides the ankles
It's taller, and the body looks a little thicker once the ESB suit is placed on it. It's still not perfect, but better than the ESB body.

Is this still available anywhere for a decent price? Since they changed the helmet from the ESB version, I want to pick it up.
Did you sign up for the waitlist? I just received an email with an opportunity to buy the deluxe edition. Sold!

I got my local comic book shop to order one for me and they accepted a possible trade for my RO to lower the cost (not sure yet if I want to get rid of it though) The more I look at the new helmet sculpt the more I like it. I think it's even better than the 1:4 version from a few years back.

I remember when I pre-ordered a TESB Vader and I was the first to cancel it because the helmet looked like crap (long face and weird eyes) but this time it's way better than expected..

Last edited:
I'm still surprised they went back and updated the mask for this release. A surprise to be sure but a welcome one.

Back