1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comparison of the different ROTJ 1/6 Vader's spanning 20+ years...MEDICOM, SIDESHOW and HOT TOYS
I picked up the old MEDICOM version a few years back. Unfortunately the pleather suit had completely crumbled to dust, so i had to paint over the under fabric.

DSC_5897.JPG
DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_5890.JPG

Comparison of the different ROTJ 1/6 Vader's spanning 20+ years...MEDICOM, SIDESHOW and HOT TOYS
I picked up the old MEDICOM version a few years back. Unfortunately the pleather suit had completely crumbled to dust, so i had to paint over the under fabric.

View attachment 726808View attachment 726807
View attachment 726810
I have all 3 of those as well. How's your Medicom? Is that still the original suit?

I have one I bought still NIB waaay back when it was released. I never opened it as years later I read about the suit flaking. It looks like new still in the box, but I read others who also had it stored and new in box said it started to flake shortly after they opened it, so I never have.

I might be proven wrong, but i'd say it's doubtful if anyone still has the MEDI version with a pristine suit.
I own the Tomy Real Action Vader too. The kit with the metal body you have to assemble. I think it's like 10" so like a 1/8 scale figure. I've also never opened that one as well. Not even sure what the suit material is. Wonder if that's pleather as well and will deteriorate..

My 1/6 Vader madness

From L to R...Custom DX28, HT ANH (customized), MEDICOM V1, HT TESB (customized), HT ROTJ, KAIYODO/SS custom and SIDESHOW DELUXE

View attachment 726815
Nice group...

I have the original Kenner 12" (from my childhood but missing the lightsaber :(), the GG jumbo retro 12", the MEDI ROTJ, both SS ANH & ESB/ROTJ Dx, HT ANH, HT OWK dx, HT ROTJ dx, HT 1/4 ROTJ, and several of the Hasbro 12' Vader's (Orig, Deluxe ROTJ, Maul 2pk, Anakin to Vader 2pk, Anakin masterpiece w/book)

I also have most 6" and I believe every Hasbro 3 3/4 Vader figure carded (not the original vintage, but I do have my 2 loose ones from childhood) from '95 to present. The Hasbro epic heroes and unleashed figures. And I the Tomy 10" and that Hyper real rubber Hasbro 8" Vader, which is surprisingly a really great Vader figure. The Jumbo Jaaks pacific Vader.... The Medicom VCD, a Beast Kingdom Vader. I'm sure others I'm forgetting too..

Then there's a few statues, a couple MR lightsabers, the Code 3 Metal Vader's Tie Fighter as well as other versions..

Basically, I too have a Vader collecting problem... :rotfl

Last edited:
Vader has certainly grown over the years.

Amazing COMP, matrix! :clap

Have to ask: what's your fav Vader of that line-up?
ANH Vader, as it's my favourite Vader look from my favourite movie.

Having said that, i'm loving the new ROTJ version more and more. It's easily the best 1/6 Vader yet.

HT did a nice job on revising the mask, and the Shaw sculpt is just spectacular.
And then there's the USB light up features, which are the icing on the cake.

ANH Vader, as it's my favourite Vader look from my favourite movie.

Have to agree on that for me too.

But I'm very happy to hear such high praise about the ROTJ... I thought it was a completionist figure for me, but sounds like I will be able to upgrade my ESB as well. Bonus!

I remember reading in this thread somewhere that the DX27 or the MMS338 Vader bodies can be used as a swap on the too short ESB body. Is that true?

Still don't think a single Vader release in 1/6 has nailed onscreen Vader yet. In Matrix's line up his Kaiyodo custom to me still seems closest to "nailed," even though the new HT ROTJ version is a nice bump in accuracy over the HT ESB.

Like Indiana Jones, it just may be that Vader will forever be on the list of characters that can only really get 98% to fully nailed with a ton of fan customizing love. If the stunning (but decade long) TooMuchGarlic custom Vader 3D sculpt project ever crosses the finish line then that may finally be the day that Vader is conquered in 1/6.

Back