1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which, if any, Vader has the red lenses? R1?

I don't keep up with Vader figs because none of them have moved the needle for me.

Which, if any, Vader has the red lenses? R1?

I don't keep up with Vader figs because none of them have moved the needle for me.
The ANH versions do. You just can't tell on the stock figure b/c there's no backing. One of the mods to do after opening up the headsculpt is to place some aluminum foil or some white paper behind the eyes to get the color to pop. I went went with foil so it would be a bit more subtle personally. Not sure about the others. Didn't have OWK Vader long enough to check

The ANH versions do. You just can't tell on the stock figure b/c there's no backing. One of the mods to do after opening up the headsculpt is to place some aluminum foil or some white paper behind the eyes to get the color to pop. I went went with foil so it would be a bit more subtle personally. Not sure about the others. Didn't have OWK Vader long enough to check
Then my search for the Vader I want will commence. Thanks.

I would be careful about getting ANH Vader. While the helmet sculpt is the same as RO Vader and OWK Vader (minutes the widows peak on OWK) the paint is different. It is matte which is good for ANH but the inside of the eyelids was painted gunmetal grey instead of black. This gives Vader a bug eyed or scared look. This makes it the second worse helmet after ESB.

I stand corrected though bodies are the same for RoTJ and OWK Vader, save OWK longer neck and ankle pegs. The photos shows the difference the pegs make. I personally do not like them, they make OWK Vader noticeable more likely to fall prone, the pegs are quite loose compared to the other joints.

20241015_211051.jpg
20241015_205829.jpg

20241015_205430.jpg
20241015_205006.jpg

I stand corrected though bodies are the same for RoTJ and OWK Vader, save OWK longer neck and ankle pegs. The photos shows the difference the pegs make. I personally do not like them, they make OWK Vader noticeable more likely to fall prone, the pegs are quite loose compared to the other joints.

View attachment 732539View attachment 732540
View attachment 732541View attachment 732542
The bodies are not the same. It’s not the same body with different ankle pegs or neck. The bodies are completely different from one another.

The bodies are not the same. It’s not the same body with different ankle pegs or neck. The bodies are completely different from one another.
The bodies might be different under the suit yes, but holding the figures in my hands save differences in the chest armor and undersuit the proportions look and feel exactly the same, the exception being the neck join on OWK Vader being somewhat more flexible, I assume from a taller neck plug.

I would be careful about getting ANH Vader. While the helmet sculpt is the same as RO Vader and OWK Vader (minutes the widows peak on OWK) the paint is different. It is matte which is good for ANH but the inside of the eyelids was painted gunmetal grey instead of black. This gives Vader a bug eyed or scared look. This makes it the second worse helmet after ESB.
Easy fist to use a fin brush and paint the underside black. If you follow JazzInc’s tutorial on YouTube like I did, all the mods are pretty easy. Just have to take your time.
The bodies might be different under the suit yes, but holding the figures in my hands save differences in the chest armor and undersuit the proportions look and feel exactly the same, the exception being the neck join on OWK Vader being somewhat more flexible, I assume from a taller neck plug.
Not the neck plug. The ANH/ESB/ROTJ bodies have a stiffer neck. They’re the same as the HT Cavill Superman bodies which also have pretty much no neck articulation. The RO/OWK bodies use a modified Reeve Superman body which does have some flex to the neck.

The RoTJ figure appears to have too big shoulder pauldrons, I thought they looked a bit off with the hook shape when handling the figure yesterday.

Vaderrotj.png

541086-20241015-205829.jpg

If I am not mistaken, the figure is using the ESB pauldrons.
nso_wolf_trap_1600_x_900_star_wars_empire_strikes_back.jpg

Last edited:
The RoTJ figure appears to have too big shoulder pauldrons, I thought they looked a bit off with the hook shape when handling the figure yesterday.

View attachment 732623

View attachment 732625

If I am not mistaken, the figure is using the ESB pauldrons.
nso_wolf_trap_1600_x_900_star_wars_empire_strikes_back.jpg

That ESB image has always confused me in regards to the shoulder bells, as they look so different than usual.

From everything I've encountered during my research into Vader's costume, there is no difference between the ESB and ROTJ shoulder bells. The difference in appearance comes from them bells being flush with the shoulder armor (like in that ROTJ shot), or the bells hanging slightly underneath the armor as it was mostly throughout ESB.

Seeing that shot of the HT ROTJ, it looks like HT simply sculpted the bells wrong. They are attached flush to the armor like in ROTJ, but the bottom edge is sculpted as if it's hanging underneath (angled differently, making it appear longer and more rounded).

I might just swap them with the pads from the OWK, since that one is displayed with cloak covering both shoulders.

Or not, it does not bother me much, but It is a noticeable "slip".

That ESB image has always confused me in regards to the shoulder bells, as they look so different than usual.

From everything I've encountered during my research into Vader's costume, there is no difference between the ESB and ROTJ shoulder bells. The difference in appearance comes from them bells being flush with the shoulder armor (like in that ROTJ shot), or the bells hanging slightly underneath the armor as it was mostly throughout ESB.

Seeing that shot of the HT ROTJ, it looks like HT simply sculpted the bells wrong. They are attached flush to the armor like in ROTJ, but the bottom edge is sculpted as if it's hanging underneath (angled differently, making it appear longer and more rounded).
Spot on. Hot toys got it wrong. I guess OWK and R1 are the feasible replacements for those that want to sort it.

Attachments

• Vaderesb.png
    Vaderesb.png
    3.4 MB
Spot on. Hot toys got it wrong. I guess OWK and R1 are the feasible replacements for those that want to sort it.
The OWK chest plate is different (it’s more seamless transition from middle chest piece to shoulder pads) to the R1 chest plate though, so I’m confused as to what y’all mean.

Chestplate not part of the discussion, it is accurate to RoTJ. It's just the black pauldrons on his deltoids.

Back