1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch, not kidding with the lack of folds. Is the ESB a decent cape?

Yes, very nice, just too long. I put the ESB cape on the ROTJ body but it was still too long (makes sense since they are the same body -- it's the helmet on the ROTJ that gives it a boost in height)

Speaking of ESB vs ROTJ, let's have a look at their helmets (forgive the dust on ESB)...

COMP 1.jpg

So HT didn't fix it on the regular release...?

Would have made those few packs in the first batch very valuable one day.
I think mine may have come from the first batch. Sugo (where mine came from) normally gets their supply a month later than Chinese retailers. Will be interesting to see if others are still getting that box with the 2nd batch. lol

OK, so lets start with the CAPES...

I think people will be surprised, but the ROTJ cape is the worst of the OT Vaders capes.

[NOTE: my ANH has the RO cape]

View attachment 733899

ANH rolls the way its supposed to.

ESB is similar if not the same material but its too long.

ROTJ just has no shape -- you can push folds into it, and a few will stay, but that's it.
Thanks for the comparison! I haven't had time to throw the cape on him yet, so I immediately ordered a ANH cape. Looks like HT is cheaping out on the materials.

OK, before everyone panics and buys a new cape, here's what happens when you add pennies into your ROTJ cape...

cape before pennies......................................................................................................................cape weighted with pennies

Before-After Pennies COMP.jpg

And here's what it looks like if you just do the right side...

pennies right side.jpg

Then there's that one guy... "But how many pennies do you need????" :panic:

Anyone know if MMS434 (Tarkin Vader) ANH cape is the same as MMS279 ANH cape or is it the MMS388 RO cape?

The reasons why I ask is because MMS434 was made after RO Vader so it brought certain things from the RO Vader and not OG 279, I’m just not sure about the cape…..

Then there's that one guy... "But how many pennies do you need???? :panic:
And then theres Canada! We don't have pennies anymore!! :panic:

I guess I'll just have to use dimes. Plus one dime is worth 10 pennies anyhow, so Vader's 'bout to be a rich mofo!

All I know is that the RO cape was better than the ANH cape so I swapped it out. Not sure if Tarkin 2-pack is the same cape.

So here are the 3 VADERS... (these are my old poses and no pennies)...

ANH..........................................................................................ROTJ..........................................................................................ESB

3x Vaders 1.jpg

3x Vaders 3.jpg

3x Vaders 5.jpg

3x Vaders 6.jpg

Tomorrow I'll have the final poses and helmets (ROTJ on ESB, Shaw on ROTJ...)... got a lot of work to do on these guys...

Yeah.. the stock ROTJ cape is really letting it down. Welp, hoping the 434 cape is the same as RO, thank you. If not, I’ll need to go on the aftermarket or go custom, but what else is new?

A custom cape made for Vader with the right material that created the right folds in a natural drape would be worth a pretty penny.

Remember also: the RO or Tarkin 2pack cape has a different/tighter collar -- you will have to pose the collar UNDER the helmet neck on ROTJ.

If you're a stickler, and want the collar outside the mask neck for that sloppy ROTJ look, then I support the penny solution.

Great comparison shots, Wor-Gar.

Amazing how bad the ESB sculpt looks in comparison. His whole face is drooping to the front, creating a weird devastated expression.
The ROTJ definitely looks like HT's best Vader sculpt to date. The biggest point of improvement IMO is the inside of the mouth, the teeth and grill. There's a complete lack of depth, making it catch much more light than it should.

For the cape, since it's so integral for his silhouette, I definitely recommend the custom route. But the penny trick looks like a good quick fix.

Looking forward to your final setup/images.

OK, before everyone panics and buys a new cape, here's what happens when you add pennies into your ROTJ cape...

cape before pennies......................................................................................................................cape weighted with pennies

View attachment 733906

And here's what it looks like if you just do the right side...

View attachment 733907

Then there's that one guy... "But how many pennies do you need????" :panic:
Nice!! How are you attaching them to the cape?

Amazing how bad the ESB sculpt looks in comparison. His whole face is drooping to the front, creating a weird devastated expression.
The ROTJ definitely looks like HT's best Vader sculpt to date. The biggest point of improvement IMO is the inside of the mouth, the teeth and grill. There's a complete lack of depth, making it catch much more light than it should.

Yeah, its hard to point at one discrepancy on the ESB mask, because there's so many little thinks throwing it off -- the eyes are pulled back almost along the side of the head, the curved cheek-bridge to the nose is too short on the side, that mouth looks like a slightly taller, narrower triangle, chin vent is angle too far down, and the helmet top is too bulbous and entire mask too narrow... that, and I'm sure there's other little things.

But they did get the eye/tear divots!

Thankfully, this ROTJ mask pops right on as a replacement.

Nice!! How are you attaching them to the cape?

Cape is two-layered, so in-between the layers.

Back