Hot Toys Iron Man Mark 1 re-release

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But a collectible is simply something that is collected. Hasbro toys are collectibles to some. Rareness doesn't have to feed into the equation unless the collectors, collectively, decide that something isn't worth collecting without it. I don't think Hot Toys fits into that mold. The models you are referring to may well have a different collector base that does require such a thing in order to maintain interest and to ensure that the company is profiting as much as it can, however. I think Sideshow caters a bit to that kind of collector, by limiting edition sizes and not caving in to the attraction of knowing they could sell 10,000 more Doom PFs if they just made them.

Hot Toys is a different beast. They release thousands of figures in a given release. These aren't rare to begin with by any stretch. They are selling to fans of Predator, Sucker Punch, and Iron Man, meaning lots of (relatively) younger collectors who care more about having a great action figure than having something that exists in low quantities.

:exactly::lecture:clap:lecture:exactly:

It's usually the reason why BBR models always sell out to pre-orders. $200 - $500. That and the small quantities that are made. Amalgam on the other hand don't usually sell out, even though most of their models are 99 models per car. But not everyone splurges out $4,xxx per car.
There are places that cater to 1/6 collectors who like to collect due to exclusivity in the custom world. Those guys can charge $800 for a figure and people will pay because they are genuinely rare.

But a collectible is simply something that is collected. Hasbro toys are collectibles to some. Rareness doesn't have to feed into the equation unless the collectors, collectively, decide that something isn't worth collecting without it. I don't think Hot Toys fits into that mold. The models you are referring to may well have a different collector base that does require such a thing in order to maintain interest and to ensure that the company is profiting as much as it can, however. I think Sideshow caters a bit to that kind of collector, by limiting edition sizes and not caving in to the attraction of knowing they could sell 10,000 more Doom PFs if they just made them.

Hot Toys is a different beast. They release thousands of figures in a given release. These aren't rare to begin with by any stretch. They are selling to fans of Predator, Sucker Punch, and Iron Man, meaning lots of (relatively) younger collectors who care more about having a great action figure than having something that exists in low quantities.

Agreed. I collect dust.

I'm curious to understand why you think me stating that I am happy about a re-release because I just started collecting makes them a crybaby or whiner? :dunno

I wasn't singling anyone out, however I've seen the terms 'crybaby' and 'whiner' used to describe people in my position regarding the likes of the Batmobile which may get rereleased, thus wrecking that items current high value. My post was intended to illustrate that the same words could be used for those that missed these things on their first run. In other words I didn't like it anymore than you do.

I wasn't singling anyone out, however I've seen the terms 'crybaby' and 'whiner' used to describe people in my position regarding the likes of the Batmobile which may get rereleased, thus wrecking that items current high value. My post was intended to illustrate that the same words could be used for those that missed these things on their first run. In other words I didn't like it anymore than you do.

I'm a huge crybaby for missing out on the Tumbler, look at my Sig for proof :lol

So you are saying you called 2 groups of collectors derogatory names that you didn't like when they used on you?

Thats seems odd!

So you are saying you called 2 groups of collectors derogatory names that you didn't like when they used on you?

Thats seems odd!

I don't see why :dunno

As far as the Batmobile is concerned I am one of those groups of collectors! I don't care so much about the resale value because its not something I would sell however I do care if a new version has improvements that make mine outdated. If it were a figure I'd just buy the new one, but something that big and expensive I can't just get the upgrade. No one singled me out either, I wasn't responding to anyone in particular, but if its inferred by people that someone in my position is a crybaby I'll sure as hell point out if the same could be said of them. And I've been in both positions.

I don't see why :dunno

As far as the Batmobile is concerned I am one of those groups of collectors! I don't care so much about the resale value because its not something I would sell however I do care if a new version has improvements that make mine outdated. If it were a figure I'd just buy the new one, but something that big and expensive I can't just get the upgrade. No one singled me out either, I wasn't responding to anyone in particular, but if its inferred by people that someone in my position is a crybaby I'll sure as hell point out that the same could be said of them. And I've been in both positions.

WOW. Very sad.

I am glad I care less about what anyone thinks about my collecting habits or opinions. Especially those who are so unreasonable and irrational. AND I AM NOT SINGLING ANYONE OUT, BUT IF ITS INFERRED BY PEOPLE, OH WELL.

WOW. Very sad.

I am glad I care less about what anyone thinks about my collecting habits or opinions. Especially those who are so unreasonable and irrational. AND I AM NOT SINGLING ANYONE OUT, BUT IF ITS INFERRED BY PEOPLE, OH WELL.

I'm sorry but you've lost me and/or I lost you at some point. I don't know what you're saying or what you thought I was saying.

Are you saying I was being childish perhaps, in trying to look at a situation objectively and see that if one side is deemed to be 'crying' for this reason, well the other is side is also 'crying' for its own reasons? Too schoolyard for you maybe? Because I have no issue admitting to that.

Agreed. I collect dust.

:lol i collect far too much of that myself.

If I can get a good '88 John McClane between all the re-releases, I'll be a happy camper :yess:

Yippie Ky-ai Darkseed, i'm up for that.

Y'know what's funny, i don't care about limited, numbered or aftermarket value UNLESS a better one is gonna come along and i only then consider selling to get the new version, and that's what causes the value to drop

There are places that cater to 1/6 collectors who like to collect due to exclusivity in the custom world. Those guys can charge $800 for a figure and people will pay because they are genuinely rare.

Thats not comparable. What I said is retail by official licensed companies. Those customs don't sell as well from what a few others told me off board from others trying to sell them. Compared to official products.

Look what happened to the 89 Batman stuff when the official was revealed.

:exactly::yess::goodpost:

I totally agree.

It just don't understand why someone would think THEIR point of view is absolute. That there could not possibly be any other way of thinking. And if you don't agree, let the name calling begin. :dunno:cuckoo:

I missed this post^

I'll clarify my position - I don't buy to resell. Never have never will and couldn't afford to even if I was so inclined. As to thinking that my point of view is absolute - honestly I'm not sure why you derived that from my post other than you took exception to my use of the terms whiner and crybaby, assuming that I was the one originating them in this particular context, and you wanted to have some kind of retort - referring to your later post, yeah I do somewhat care what other collectors say and think...you do aswell, you didn't like it when you thought I was calling you a 'crybaby' and your later post was pretty much taking a shot at me - "sad....irrational..unreasonable" and then sarcastically repeating back something I said. You don't ''care less'' when you're irritated enough to come out with that stuff. I care that you seemingly have wrong ideas about me. But look, I apologise for any offense caused.

Last edited:
I don't get this controversy, really. With HT price increases, those who get the V 2.0 will be paying considerably over retail from those who got this the first time round, and those who paid after market prices must have weighed the options and decided that they could afford the mark-up for something they would love to have. Anyone who's been collecting for awhile knows that there are no guarantees financially with figures and that pursuing this hobby like an investment is a fools errand. You collect what you choose to because you love it, knowing prices are always subject to change. Sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes you don't. I don't have the Mark 1 and will be happy to add it to my collection with whatever bells and whistles are included.

I don't get this controversy, really. With HT price increases, those who get the V 2.0 will be paying considerably over retail from those who got this the first time round, and those who paid after market prices must have weighed the options and decided that they could afford the mark-up for something they would love to have. Anyone who's been collecting for awhile knows that there are no guarantees financially with figures and that pursuing this hobby like an investment is a fools errand. You collect what you choose to because you love it, knowing prices are always subject to change. Sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes you don't. I don't have the Mark 1 and will be happy to add it to my collection with whatever bells and whistles are included.

:clap
:exactly:

Thats not comparable. What I said is retail by official licensed companies. Those customs don't sell as well from what a few others told me off board from others trying to sell them. Compared to official products.

Look what happened to the 89 Batman stuff when the official was revealed.
What does a custom/official release distinction matter when discussing collectibles? Is the former not collectible while the latter is?

Sure, a custom can be re-released officially, and can be superior, thus making the custom less desirable. But I suppose the same could happen with those model cars you were linking. If you say that the models are more special than something that would be mass released, well, the same argument could go for a Rainman figure or a Kato hand tailored outfit. Beyond that, most of the pricier customs I've seen are of licenses that are never gonna get the Hot Toys treatment anyway, so the chances are pretty low that the situation is even gonna come up--either because the license isn't very popular by the masses, or because the license is hard to attain. Talking Man with No Name, Fight Club, Blade Runner, the Big Lebowski, etc.

389800_10150445419767344_58690437343_8796504_1791955813_n.jpg

On the First day of 2012, we’re happy to bring you the First look of the Iron Man – Mark I (2.0) which amazingly painted by the hand of our Korean artist - Lalla. Stay tuned here to discover the new gadgets of this figure! Happy New Year everyone!

I'm a little disappointed in that the sculpting of the armor looks pretty much the same as the original.

Torch_Vert posted these comparison pics in the Iron Monger thread, and it really showed how much room there is for improvement over the original Mk I release:
I disagree with the "perfect the way it is" statement re: the HT Mk I. Besides the sculpt issue, the entire surface finish isn't right. The HT Mk I is a very dull silver, and heavily pitted/weathered looking. The actual movie suit was FAR cleaner/shinier looking. Yes, the suit was improvised, but the base materials were mostly new munitions and parts, not scrapyard junk. Witness:

ironman29.jpg

3406213142_53b6a999a6.jpg

Honestly the original HT Mk1 surface condition looks more like after the fight and crash when it's been pieced back together.

HT is bragging on the special steel like finish on the Iron Monger, could be applying a more realistic finish for the Mk I may be part of the reason for the revisit (that and raking in an *$$load of cash anyway...)

I'm not as bothered by the dull finish of the original (although the hand painted preview definitely looks shiny), but I think the welding seams and details could stand to be much finer and more delicate than the original.

I am looking forward to seeing what "new gadgets" will be featured in the re-release. I'm sure it will include a new headsculpt.

To be expected, why redesign a figure from the ground up that people will buy anyway. This project is a gold mine for HT as it does not have any fixed development costs for creating a new figure. They are probably only going to include a new headsculpt and some obscure "value-added" items like a car battery and possibly the paged plans for the Mark 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back