1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does he need to be in a detolf? Dust and what not...

I've seen some pics with him just on a shelf.

I don't have mine under glass. My place isn't particularly dusty anyway. Over the long term? I suppose some canned air and a comb-out.

Jeezuz. Blow-dry and style for my Chewbacca action figure. Fluffing the Wookie.

This hobby.

35b0d393f39da5305cef4a68ae399f73.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Detolf displays are NOT dust free but I'm sure they help a bit.
Well, I'm in the process of dustproofing mine, but the door on one of them is not as wide and is leaving larger gaps than the foam strips can cover. The others just need to have the top corners of the door covered and the fold behind the hinge. They'll pretty much be dustproof after that.

IMO, any attempt to dust proof a Detolf would eventually fail. Even LED lighting gives off SOME heat; the heated air is forced out of the case and replaced by air carrying dust.

There are several ways to dust proof a detolf. I use foam weather stripping up the front of the glass door and that leaves only the top circle. The case is exposed only if the plastic cap is not in place. I have had no dust in the one year where I have applied this to.

I've also seen where people have rigged cheap CPU fans pushing air out of the top hole pushing any heat and dust particles out from the top as an active dust removal system.

It can be done with a little setup.

Is gohastings.com good to buy from? Don't wanna take a chance.

They open all of their figures and throw away brown shippers. Most pieces are display or have been made available to open in store. They ship very poorly for protecting figures and box figures in oversized packaging to bang around in. I've received displays with missing pieces as well. Very hit or miss with them. But...... They do take returns no questions asked. So if unhappy, then ship it back.

Awesome. Thanks guys! I'm going to go with yes. Have a slight chance for something to go wrong is better than paying $400+

Yep. Changes with the light, too.

c497a0e64f6483831fdee47767ce8f44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love this pose as well. :yess:
I agree with the rest about this figure being Figure of the Year 2015.:clap But I really hate what HT did on Han. Looks like a cosplayer Han Solo than a Harrison Ford Han Solo.:slap Am glad I skipped on that one.

I found this was the only way to get Chewie into a Detolf without purposely bending his legs; anyone else using the display bases like this? What's good for him is good for everyone else.

View attachment 237959

Very nice idea, Tinman. Still trying to figure out how to use the stands for Chewie and Han as I like Chewie to be fully upright as well (have them on SS circle stands at the moment). I may try to put together a full floor of those bases for a shelf with a few characters. I just did something similar on my bottom shelf. Took 8 stands that I've been slowly accumulating, but looks great.

Very nice idea, Tinman. Still trying to figure out how to use the stands for Chewie and Han as I like Chewie to be fully upright as well (have them on SS circle stands at the moment). I may try to put together a full floor of those bases for a shelf with a few characters. I just did something similar on my bottom shelf. Took 8 stands that I've been slowly accumulating, but looks great.

Nice TonTon! I need to order a couple extra HT SW bases myself.

I haven't followed this thread in a while, but I thought I had mentioned it in here previously, but the figure's acrylic fur is strictly two-tone brown - any black has been sprayed on - it's paint and can be at least partially removed with some rubbing alcohol and a clean lint-free cloth (don't use paper) - use a q-tip for small areas.

Most of what makes Chewie look a different color is in the lighting when taking the photo, next is in the application of the black paint. The acrylic fur is pretty consistent in appearance from head to toe, not including styling/matting of course.

Speaking of alcohol, you can also dissolve pigment in it (ink for example) and use it to spray color onto the fur. Works best for darkening because the colored alcohol will be very translucent.

I know this isn't Facebook, but I thought I'd just add a little disclaimer, just in case: you soak a little bit of alcohol onto the cloth and then use that on the figure - you never pour/soak the figure with alcohol. And if you screw your Chewbacca up, that's on you.

Last edited:
Huh. Might have to try the rubbing alcohol when my Chewie arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't followed this thread in a while, but I thought I had mentioned it in here previously, but the figure's acrylic fur is strictly two-tone brown - any black has been sprayed on - it's paint and can be at least partially removed with some rubbing alcohol and a clean lint-free cloth (don't use paper) - use a q-tip for small areas.

Most of what makes Chewie look a different color is in the lighting when taking the photo, next is in the application of the black paint. The acrylic fur is pretty consistent in appearance from head to toe, not including styling/matting of course.

Speaking of alcohol, you can also dissolve pigment in it (ink for example) and use it to spray color onto the fur. Works best for darkening because the colored alcohol will be very translucent.

I know this isn't Facebook, but I thought I'd just add a little disclaimer, just in case: you soak a little bit of alcohol onto the cloth and then use that on the figure - you never pour/soak the figure with alcohol. And if you screw your Chewbacca up, that's on you.

Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I too may try this.

Back