1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Irezumi, great pictures. Your Vader looks terrific.

KD, fantastic Vader. As usual, superb futzing.

fc54b73b7455ba899a61fa8191af042b.jpg

Amazing work here. Super job on all the small details. Looks like Prowse in the wardrobe room ready to suit up.

Irezumi, great pictures. Your Vader looks terrific.

KD, fantastic Vader. As usual, superb futzing.

Amazing work here. Super job on all the small details. Looks like Prowse in the wardrobe room ready to suit up.

Here he is! HT helmet looks a little big in comparison but might be lens distortion....

vaders_zpsexn5ph7e.png

This pic actually makes the HT jumpsuit look pretty accurate.

Thanks!

Now I need to mod all the other parts.

Here he is! HT helmet looks a little big in comparison but might be lens distortion....

vaders_zpsexn5ph7e.png

This pic actually makes the HT jumpsuit look pretty accurate.

It's partially lens distortion, the helmet is a little large.

Yeah, I love the SSC jumpsuit. The strips could be more puffy or rounded, but it looks fantastic. Just the right amount of form fitting, without sacrificing too much articulation.

I have the Hot Toys jumpsuit, I think it makes him look like a goth rodeo clown. LOL! I also have a bad feeling that it's going to disintegrate, it just feels super thin and brittle. That's another thing I love about the SSC jumpsuit, it's been around for a long time now and nobody has reported it showing any signs of deterioration.

And Vader look round (if not fat), which is exactly how he is in the movie. And HT got this perfectly, IMHO.

I think that pic is from RotJ. Prows was definitely "fuller figured" by that point haha.

Thanks!

Now I need to mod all the other parts.

It's partially lens distortion, the helmet is a little large.

Yeah, I love the SSC jumpsuit. The strips could be more puffy or rounded, but it looks fantastic. Just the right amount of form fitting, without sacrificing too much articulation.

I have the Hot Toys jumpsuit, I think it makes him look like a goth rodeo clown. LOL! I also have a bad feeling that it's going to disintegrate, it just feels super thin and brittle. That's another thing I love about the SSC jumpsuit, it's been around for a long time now and nobody has reported it showing any signs of deterioration.

I think that pic is from RotJ. Prows was definitely "fuller figured" by that point haha.

Yeah, I was just saying in the custom thread that the Kaiyodo helmet is a tiny bit too small yet the HT seems a tiny bit too large (will have this in-hand next week.):gah: Where's freakin' goldilocks when you need her?:rotfl

And I think the HT jumpsuit might look a bit better with a little matte clear dabbed here and there to cut back on the gloss. The gloss gives it that licorice look, though it is a bit too "overstuffed." But yeah agreed on the HT suit deterioration risk - thank goodness it's not from a $300 figure.:monkey3

And that Vader pic's from ESB.

Yeah, I was just saying in the custom thread that the Kaiyodo helmet is a tiny bit too small yet the HT seems a tiny bit too large (will have this in-hand next week.):gah: Where's freakin' goldilocks when you need her?:rotfl

And I think the HT jumpsuit might look a bit better with a little matte clear dabbed here and there to cut back on the gloss. The gloss gives it that licorice look, though it is a bit too "overstuffed." But yeah agreed on the HT suit deterioration risk - thank goodness it's not from a $300 figure.:monkey3

And that Vader pic's from ESB.
Yep esb. You can tell by the control box.

I like hot toys jumpsuit best. I just hope it doesn't deteriorate.

The reason the helmet looks large is because of the slimness of the torso on that figure. It's way too skinny. Though I've heard the HT is a bit oversized, but so should all the other HT armor parts be, so they should be fairly well proportioned together, though it is clear in the above shots that the chest armor isn't as wide as it should be, and goes down the front a bit too much. Beefing up the body a little would work wonders, but not so much as in that ESB picture.

Unsorted-061.jpg

The Kaiyodo face mask is pretty accurate for sixth scale, as it is approximately on par with my scaled project.

Last edited:
The reason the helmet looks large is because of the slimness of the torso on that figure. It's way too skinny. Though I've heard the HT is a bit oversized, but so should all the other HT armor parts be, so they should be fairly well proportioned together, though it is clear in the above shots that the chest armor isn't as wide as it should be, and goes down the front a bit too much. Beefing up the body a little would work wonders, but not so much as in that ESB picture.

View attachment 262799

The Kaiyodo face mask is pretty accurate for sixth scale, as it is approximately on par with my scaled project.

Thanks for the input man! [emoji3]

The crappy lens on my phone makes it nearly impossible to take a picture that accurately depicts what I'm seeing with my eyes.

You are totally right though about filling him out more in the middle. I have a few fat suits around from other figures, maybe I'll throw one on the torso of my Vader to see how it looks.

Any updates on that?

The Kaiyodo facemask may be more correctly scaled than the HT, but the HT comes with a dome that is perfectly scaled for its facemask. The Kaiyodo doesn't - and the HT and Hasbro domes are a little too big for it and the SSC DX dome is a touch too small (and its skirt flares out at too much of an angle.) Even shortening the skirt doesn't help on them because the volume of the crown is the main issue. They all can look "fine/decent" modded but they all look a tad off.

Hurricane's supposed to be doing a new custom dome that fits their Kaiyodo-based mask, but I haven't seen any pics.

To my eyes, the modded Hot Toys head and dome look better than any other combo I've seen. It's not perfect, and to be honest it's driving me mad trying to figure out what's off about it. All the individual bits look perfect when I hold it in my hand and look at all my HD screen grabs of ANH, but he sum of the parts is missing something, I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just because I don't have it on a complete and modded body with full costume yet.

Sent from my Motherbox PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING

To my eyes, the modded Hot Toys head and dome look better than any other combo I've seen. It's not perfect, and to be honest it's driving me mad trying to figure out what's off about it. All the individual bits look perfect when I hold it in my hand and look at all my HD screen grabs of ANH, but he sum of the parts is missing something, I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just because I don't have it on a complete and modded body with full costume yet.

My HT helmet arrives tomorrow - fascinated to see. I plan to use it with Kaiyodo armor. The HT helmet is really weird - it looks SO spot-on in some pics (and some of the mods make it just gorgeous,) yet other pics, usually with a flash, it starts to look like that insect R McQ Vader facemask that was the HT prototype.

The Kaiyodo in hand always seems too small to me (I was shocked when I got it in-hand for the first time,) yet I'm constantly told it's spot-on size wise. It looks small compared to the HT stormie side by side, and also to the HT Fett, but when you really look at ref pics, Vader's helmet is indeed smaller than you think. I also took a look at the full size stormie/Fett/Vader helmet replicas side-by-side (not sure who makes the newer ones) and Vader's is smaller in comparison. You think of it as huge.

Some of the SW helmets are seemingly almost impossible to capture. There still hasn't been a bullseye of Vader, Fett, stormie (stunt) and 3PO in 1/6.:gah:

View attachment 262799

Hence the reason why HT's body suit is plumpier and fuller than ANH SS one - to negate the 'slimness' look of the body underneath.

Sadly, the scaled project is on hold while negotiating with a buyer who will take over, as I cannot complete it.

The HT body is more ESB sized, so needs to be slimmed down in key areas. Also, I doubt very much they looked at actual Dave Prowse reference from around the time of ANH filming when making that base body, as his body shape is very distinctive, and HT hasn't captured that.

I'm using a Roadblock body, with the Vader arms. Looking at the comparison pic with ESB his head looks enormous, and the waist looks to thin, but that's all lens distortion. WhenI got home last night and looked at him, he actually looks great. I may still try the padding just to see if it looks better, but he looks pretty good as is.

I also think he modded helmet look really good. It does look proportionate in hand. It's just impossible to take a pic that looks correct.

Here's a couple examples of how bad the lens distortion can get with an update iPhone. All these pics were taken at the same time, the only thing that changed was the position of the camera, all other factors are identical.

And neither of them look like it does in hand, in fact I haven't been able to take a single picture that accurately captures what it looks like LOL [emoji23]

2583de7cc4a20e7ea118271657f57b36.jpg
80c9c0c3ccab9805fa24f5f94e22ebcf.jpg

Back