Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm playing the HD collection on PS3. I found it at my local game store about a month or so ago for $13. And I realized Iloved the series, but had never played 3. So I downloaded MGS1, and have beaten both it and MGS2. Now I'm playing 3 and then Peace Walker.

Don’t let Peace Walker make you hate the series!

In my opinion it’s the worst game in the series, and can be a chore to complete.

Well, everything was going fine until Frank said some uncalled stuff about me, then SOME OTHER MEMBERS HERE got in on it, for no reason yourself included. I was just posting info on MGSV, and while ignoring them, Jason goes on a rant about the game and is obviously trying to get me and Henry upset. Lets forget all that though because all I do is bait people with accurate statements :slap

Are you going to honestly act like that didn’t happen? t get into a lot of arguments here because I actually retaliate when I’m being insulted, no different from you.

Like I said get over yourself and lets just drop it. This is a MGSV thread, if you want to keep arguing just pm and stop derailing the thread.

Don't bring me into it

Besides I replied directly, you were making a passing comment

And I never insulted you, for a second time

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/07/creating-the-next-generation-of-metal-gear-solid

Crafting Metal Gear Solid 5's open world for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One has been about doing less with more.

“This is the game I really wanted to make,” Hideo Kojima told IGN. “Because of hardware limitations, I was not able to do that until now.”

So what changed between now and the release of PlayStation 3's Metal Gear Solid 4? Check out IGN’s full interview below to find out, and be sure to catch up on all our recent coverage of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.“I wanted to add as much freedom as possible, and that wasn’t possible technology-wise. I had to make a linear game that had cutscenes and make it a little more dramatic. Here, you are able to plan your route.” Ground Zeroes also features far fewer cutscenes or other intrusions than any other Metal Gear game. The codec is now a button-press command to receive audio, rather than to have a conversation. Cutscenes bookend missions in Ground Zeroes, rather than get in the way of them.

“Metal Gear so far had unique controls in a unique set of rule,” Kojima continued. “We wanted to make this game as accessible to people as possible, so in that regard we had to look at as many other company’s games as possible, and try to come up with something that’s more standard, with a standard set of controls.” Kojima Productions is still developing Ground Zeroes for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, so to some degree the studio is still anchored to the past, accomplishing what it couldn’t before, despite having access to superior hardware. Art director Yoji Shinkawa said that hasn’t proven to be an issue for the team.

“We haven’t been too limited by [working on] several platforms,” he said. Mostly there have been no changes, no particular difficulty [in developing across generations].” This is in large part to the Fox Engine, which “allows us not to be too reliant on specific hardware. We focus on what feelings we will convey to the player.”

A new engine led to new possibilities on new hardware. So far, the results have been pretty positive.

For more on Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and its follow-up, The Phantom Pain, check out the latest coverage on IGN.

This pretty much confirms, TPP will be current-gen only.

I'm playing the HD collection on PS3. I found it at my local game store about a month or so ago for $13. And I realized Iloved the series, but had never played 3. So I downloaded MGS1, and have beaten both it and MGS2. Now I'm playing 3 and then Peace Walker.

That's a really good price. But, if you could, I'd recommend tracking down the the original PS2 release for "Subsistence" as well. MGS 3 HD did have a very large upgrade in the graphical department (especially with 60 fps). But, the HD version was essentially stripped down of some gameplay features, and it excludes content from the "Persistence" disk (which includes a compilation of all of the cinematic cutscenes and bonus comedy bits).

There was a very comprehensive list explaining all of the differences, but I'll have to find the link and get back to you :lol.

I'm currently playing through Peace Walker with a few of my friends here. The game is significantly more fun if you try it on co-op.

That's a really good price. But, if you could, I'd recommend tracking down the the original PS2 release for "Subsistence" as well. MGS 3 HD did have a very large upgrade in the graphical department (especially with 60 fps). But, the HD version was essentially stripped down of some gameplay features, and it excludes content from the "Persistence" disk (which includes a compilation of all of the cinematic cutscenes and bonus comedy bits).

There was a very comprehensive list explaining all of the differences, but I'll have to find the link and get back to you :lol.

I'm currently playing through Peace Walker with a few of my friends here. The game is significantly more fun if you try it on co-op.

I wasn't even aware Peace Walker was Co-Op.

By the way, for anyone who didn’t watch the interview I put up, one of the guys from IGN who played the game said Kiefer was boring as Big Boss.

I wasn't even aware Peace Walker was Co-Op.

Well, you can play it on single player if you want. But, you can also play through the campaign with friends. Also, if you plan to tackle the higher difficulty of Extra Ops missions, you'll need a co-op buddy to help you out - or else you'll face endless waves of enemies coming out of a single ATV (that's surprisingly, more heavily armored than any of the Metal Gear mechs).

MGS 3 redesigned controls made the game easier IMO. Just like the twin snakes did.

Nothing wrong with that, but I appreciated the over the air camera more. Atrocious to today's standards, I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGS 3 redesigned controls made the game easier IMO. Just like the twin snakes did.

Nothing wrong with that, but I appreciated the over the air camera more. Atrocious to today's standards, I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The updated camera controls are mainly the reason for why I prefer Subsistence over the original Snake Eater. However, when I was playing Snake Eater, I'd stop (consistently) and spam-toggle first-person camera view - which was something that I didn't need to do in Subsistence. So, I don't think Subsistence necessarily made things easier, just less frustrating in that regard.

By the way, for anyone who didn’t watch the interview I put up, one of the guys from IGN who played the game said Kiefer was boring as Big Boss.

I thought that statement was a little miss informed. They said that Sutherland is probably really expensive so they probably limited him for financial reasons but its not like they pay these people per word. Kojima has been expressively saying multiple times that Snake is more subdued this time around. Not trying to defend Sutherland (everyone knows hes the sole reason I am not getting this game) but I just think IGN needs to get their **** together.

Probably the best and most detailed post bootcamp from Kojima.

Last edited:
TPP is 200 times bigger than GZ? I think that only sounds good, but I can't see it being a whole different than a standard GTA map. If it was Just Cause 2 size, that's something to brag about.

Quote Originally Posted by pturtle View Post
Well, everything was going fine until Frank said some uncalled stuff about me, then SOME OTHER MEMBERS HERE got in on it, for no reason yourself included. I was just posting info on MGSV, and while ignoring them, Jason goes on a rant about the game and is obviously trying to get me and Henry upset. Lets forget all that though because all I do is bait people with accurate statements

Are you going to honestly act like that didn’t happen? t get into a lot of arguments here because I actually retaliate when I’m being insulted, no different from you.

Like I said get over yourself and lets just drop it. This is a MGSV thread, if you want to keep arguing just pm and stop derailing the thread.

you are a silly person who has no clue what you are talking about. i have nothing against you or henry, you do however make things more than they are. i dont have enough time in my day to derail a thread to pick on you, grow up.

theyre making big boss pop culture to cater to the kojima/shinkawa metrosexuals. i hate it, you can embrace it if you want to. i used to think bb was a badass, now i think hes looking for boy bums

Last edited:
By 200 times bigger I didn't think he meant map size, I thought he meant the overall density of the game I.e equipment, weapons, items, map, missions, outfits, costumes etc.

Does that mean the game will take around 400 hours to complete?

Ha, It's been easily a decade since I played a game that took more than 10 hours to complete, it'd be a nice change of pace.

I'd be more than pleased if the game actually has around 30hrs of gameplay for the 1st playthrough, given they've augmented my expectations greatly regarding length with those recent news.

Yeah not too much but I'd like to see something new thats all. Something like that for AK would be sick!

If the game is that long then there is hope to see Big Boss actually growing old as you play through the story :drool that would be awesome, its still a long way until Solid destroys Outer Heaven

Back