Things I Hate

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a wasp nest over my porch in the eves at the corner of the roof. I can't reach the nest from the crack they use to get in, so I've been picking them off, a few at a time, for the last month or so.

The most I've nailed at once is seven. Usually only about 3-4. It's getting old.

I have a wasp nest over my porch in the eves at the corner of the roof. I can't reach the nest from the crack they use to get in, so I've been picking them off, a few at a time, for the last month or so.

The most I've nailed at once is seven. Usually only about 3-4. It's getting old.

Spray it with a high pressure hose nozzle. With their wings wet, they cannot fly and attack you. They fall and you can stomp on them. The water will also bring down the nest and you can crush it as well. Easy.

Go after them at night. They won't fly at night. Get some hornet spray that shoots a long stream and aim it right in there. It will kill them.

Spray it with a high pressure hose nozzle. With their wings wet, they cannot fly and attack you. They fall and you can stomp on them. The water will also bring down the nest and you can crush it as well. Easy.

Did you just condone AND educate for the murder of fellow sentient beings????

Not very righteous of you I must say..... :nono

old regular Raid will kill them fast too, they fall like dead flies, just don't get any in your face, or eyes...:horror

but yeah Raid will make them fall easily

Did you just condone AND educate for the murder of fellow sentient beings????

Not very righteous of you I must say..... :nono

The little bastards aren't innocent. They are trespassing and causing a danger and a menace to a human home. I would kill an insect trespasser the same as I would blow the brains out of someone who broke into my house. I only have compassion for the innocent. If someone or something physically threatens me, I'll defend myself or my home, and I have every right to do so.
Wasps are too dangerous to be allowed to live on your porch.

I know you are going in the direction of animal rights ie vegetarianism on this, but an animal needs to respect other people's property.
I don't believe in going out and looking for trouble with animals or causing them harm, but if one comes over to ME to start something, I'll put it down without hesitation.

I would not go out killing them for fun or raise them to kill them for whatever reason, because then I would be the cause of their suffering.When someone or something invades your home, they bring his her or it's death upon his her or itself.

If the nest was in a forest or something or some non inhabited area, that would be totally different.
Then of course it would not be my right to hurt them. I have a right to defend my home from animal trespassers just like an animal has a right to defend it's home.

Go after them at night. They won't fly at night. Get some hornet spray that shoots a long stream and aim it right in there. It will kill them.

Why pay money for a spray that is also toxic to you and your pets when water is so cheap? Plus, you rinse off your house at the same time, making it look nicer.

Why pay money for a spray that is also toxic to you and your pets when water is so cheap? Plus, you rinse off your house at the same time, making it look nicer.

Because if that stuff gets on them, they're dead. Miss them with water and they're after your ass. I don't take chances. Plus, pollute that area and they won't come back to it.

And if my dog can climb up on my roof, well, I'd make me some money!

The nest isn't directly accessible by the crack they enter through. I've done three early morning sprays, and by the time the sun is on that part of the roof, they're up and about like nothing happened.

I went into the attic to see if they had anything built there, but there was nothing. I'm guessing the nest is under the insulation. To spray the nest, I'd have to pull it up, and I'm not doing that.

Because if that stuff gets on them, they're dead. Miss them with water and they're after your ass. I don't take chances. Plus, pollute that area and they won't come back to it.

And if my dog can climb up on my roof, well, I'd make me some money!

I don't miss. I have never failed with water. I've done it 5 times so far. With a nozzle that goes from fan to high pressure stream, you basically have a conical force field they cannot penetrate. Plus, if the wind shifts, you don't get poison in your face. It is even easier to kill a wasp using a hose and your foot than it is with a spray. Plus, it's more fun and cheaper. The danger of missing with a hose is less than with a spray. The only problem with the hose is there can't be a place on the ground where they fall and you can't see them, like thick grass. Then it becomes a chore to find them. In that case, I can understand the spray more.

I did consider holding the hose up to the crack and flooding it. Problems with that are water coming through the ceiling in the dining room, and the chance of the swarm making an exodus through another opening.

I did consider holding the hose up to the crack and flooding it. Problems with that are water coming through the ceiling in the dining room, and the chance of the swarm making an exodus through another opening.

Well then that is a problem. I thought this was one of those hive like nests suspended from the awning. I guess what you need is a can of wasp spray that shoots 20 feet or so, and then a ladder to reach and clean up.

The cans I've been using shoot 30 foot streams.

I'm going to just keep taking shots at them with the Raid when I see three or more hanging out by the crack. Eventually, it will get cold. I'll fill in the cracks next spring with silicon or something.

I wouldn't even care if they weren't so close to the door between the porch and the house. I'm surprised no one's been stung yet.

The little bastards aren't innocent. They are trespassing and causing a danger and a menace to a human home. I would kill an insect trespasser the same as I would blow the brains out of someone who broke into my house. I only have compassion for the innocent. If someone or something physically threatens me, I'll defend myself or my home, and I have every right to do so.
Wasps are too dangerous to be allowed to live on your porch.

I know you are going in the direction of animal rights ie vegetarianism on this, but an animal needs to respect other people's property.
I don't believe in going out and looking for trouble with animals or causing them harm, but if one comes over to ME to start something, I'll put it down without hesitation.

I would not go out killing them for fun or raise them to kill them for whatever reason, because then I would be the cause of their suffering.When someone or something invades your home, they bring his her or it's death upon his her or itself.

If the nest was in a forest or something or some non inhabited area, that would be totally different.
Then of course it would not be my right to hurt them. I have a right to defend my home from animal trespassers just like an animal has a right to defend it's home.

Hypocrite. :rotfl

Back