1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Yoda Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I think it is not fair to compare a 2011 75 USD figure with a 2017 200 USD figure.

I still find some good features on the SSC. And it even keeps me from getting this one.

https://www.jeditemplearchives.com/sideshow/evg/yoda-jedi-mentor-sideshow-collectibles-sixth-scale.html

It's not really about the price detail, as way before this figure even had production pics, there were folks that were claiming that the sideshow version was still superior to the hot toys model at prototype inception. I can vouch that this is not true. Sideshow's version has qualities that I do indeed favor in some respects, however imo, I'm happy I passed on the SS version all those years ago. Then again that's just me. My opinion doesn't reflect the hundreds of thousands of collectors out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not really about the price detail, as way before this figure even had production pics, there were folks that were claiming that the sideshow version was still superior to the hot toys model at prototype inception. I can vouch that this is not true. Sideshow's version has qualities that I do indeed favor in some respects, however imo, I'm happy I passed on the SS version all those years ago. Then again that's just me. My opinion doesn't reflect the hundreds of thousands of collectors out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really?:horror

3f6268176f9c991ea672ea4bda8d6fae.jpg

I am still having trouble getting past the dark green puppy nose!

I am still having trouble getting past the dark green puppy nose!

That and the red dust paint app. Looks like he didn't shower since his visit to Geonosis all those years earlier.

Hope that hair can be futzed. It really does have a grey/white pubic hair look in some pics. It really needed to be a bit longer and more sparse.

I mean Sideshow seemed to use Samuel L's face as the basis for their Prequel Yoda sculpt, and now HT uses his hair from Django for their Yoda...

samuel_l_jackson-django_unchained-6.jpg

Just skipped through Empire - yup, the robe is very long and extremely tattered; evident whenever it's a wide shot of him walking/sitting.

Now all I see on the HT is his "ankles" - doin his best Michael Jackson lookalike with his pants half way up his legs :(

Nice pics, james. He really does go great with HT Besbin Luke, in fact the very first pics of them together! Anyway, will obviously look forward to having the little guy with my Besbin Luke -- btw, I think maybe the PERS feature with Luke may come in handy with Yoda in some poses.

Cheers pjam
I wish yoda would have had the PERS feature I think it would have suited it

I'm guessing PERS would have been a bit more difficult to hide on Yoda since he has no sculpted hair, but would have been pretty cool.

Hope that hair can be futzed. It really does have a grey/white pubic hair look in some pics. It really needed to be a bit longer and more sparse.

This is my main concern at the moment as well.

The overly green nose and the red dust in the wrinkles on his head are very minor; something I think that will barely be noticeable while he's on the shelf. However, like you said, the hair needed to be a bit more sparse and longer. I'm hoping that you're able to futz some of the strands to give it more of a "wild" look.

Although I'm just happy they added actual hair to this figure as opposed to leaving the sculpted hair.

so I did some quick comparison shots of the video I Am Toys posted with ESB shots from the actual movie.

It is AMAZING how good this figure looks from the profile view.

It is however a letdown (for me) how it looks from the front.

Untitled-2 yoda comparison3.jpg

Untitled-2 yoda comparison.jpg

so I did some quick comparison shots of the video I Am Toys posted with ESB shots from the actual movie.

It is AMAZING how good this figure looks from the profile view.

It is however a letdown (for me) how it looks from the front.

View attachment 335092

View attachment 335093

I dunno man.. that hair looks a little too prequel to me... lolololzzz jk. I mean I'm serious, but either way much better than the sculpted hair.

they used too much hair, I agree.

But rooted is better than either sculpted or none, in this case.

the used too much hair, I agree.

But rooted is better than either sculpted or none, in this case.

My sentiments as well.

As shown in images a few pages back, I believe they simply glued the rooted hair on top of the sculpted hair. I think this may possibly have been the reason for going overboard with the rooted hair, to cover up the sculpted hair as much as possible. This figure would have been even better if they just went with rooted hair to begin with and made it more sparse.

However, I agree that rooted hair over sculpted hair for Yoda is better than sculpted hair only, or no hair at all (sculpted or rooted).

This is not a great yoda sculpt. The closed eye head is probably the best 1/6 yoda rehearsed so far, relatively speaking.
But otherwise it's a major dissapointment. This could have been astounding. It's like they ignored the structure of the screen puppet entirely.

There's actually very minimal "real" hair on the sides from what I can tell. The back is thicker. There's not much room for futzing ( keep in mind even a "lot" of hair at this size is really very little, glued to the head). I think custimizers will have more success removing/re-applying/painting to get their desired look.

I can only say again the imperfections are negligible in-hand at actual size. IMO, owning the Medi, SSC, and HT I find this easily the best representation of the puppet. But to each their own. :)

I'll leave it at that and hope you all enjoy your sets! :duff

I love how we have all found little reasons not to spend 2 bills on this little guy.
Stop debating - you know you want it!:lecture

judge him by his size...

not so much hair on a head that's smaller than your thumb. cut the excess away.

Future thread " Advice needed - How do I repair HT Yoda -removed too much hair - help please!"

Back