1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dye won't work, even if the fibers took it, they're already too dark. It has to be pigment-based, ink or paint.

Something well thinned with really small particulate size and a good deal of transparency so you could easily control its appearance. Probably best to use an airbrush to finely atomize it and then probably best to use something suitable for fabrics, like Createx or Jacquard brands. I think it'll be important to balance the color and opacity with the number of coats/thickness to prevent it from changing the texture significantly.

I definitely don't want to be the first person to try it - I don't have nearly enough experience with my airbrush yet. :)

It was always the coloring. I wonder if you could lighten up the areas you need to with peroxide?

:rotfl

Agree, though. Sonovabch. People were already doing a great job futzing the fur. Coloring the fur put it over the edge.

I was holding out for a 2.0, but Jack Bauer hinted that this could be it for Chewie. So I really don't k now what to do!

Wow, that has to be one of the best comparison pics yet! Not really sure what it would take to achieve that, but surely there's got to be something that would work.

Maybe just laying some lighter hair over the dark? Using whatever kind of temporary glue that was used on the chin (and that can be removed with simple water)?

I've searched pretty exhaustively and as far as I can find, there aren't any common faux fur textiles made from a material that will be affected by peroxide or chlorine bleach to lighten their color. I've seen talk of creating faux fur from cotton, which as a natural fiber would take dye which could then be bleached out, but Chewie, like 99.9% of all fake fur out there is surely made from acrylic fibers that are extruded in their existing colors - think of different colored plastic beads/ingots, heated and then extruded through a screen.

To change the color of the existing fur, it's pigment or nothing. Paint can absolutely work, found a lot of examples of people painting faux fur with all manner of acrylic-based paints, but to do it well you may want to experiment and practise practise practise. None of the examples I found involve something so delicate/intricate as a 1/6 face with variable shading.

Replacing the existing fur could also work. Entire patches or hair by hair - this would be crazy time consuming and require an insane level of patience and attention to detail.

I've searched pretty exhaustively and as far as I can find, there aren't any common faux fur textiles made from a material that will be affected by peroxide or chlorine bleach to lighten their color. I've seen talk of creating faux fur from cotton, which as a natural fiber would take dye which could then be bleached out, but Chewie, like 99.9% of all fake fur out there is surely made from acrylic fibers that are extruded in their existing colors - think of different colored plastic beads/ingots, heated and then extruded through a screen.

To change the color of the existing fur, it's pigment or nothing.

Replacing the existing fur could also work. Entire patches or hair by hair - this would be crazy time consuming and require an insane level of patience and attention to detail.

Does anyone know if the fur that is used on this figure can be readily purchased? Maybe a lighter version is available, I'm crazy enough to repatch it.

Does anyone know if the fur that is used on this figure can be readily purchased?

My guess is no, you'd have next to zero chance of obtaining exactly what they used as it's likely direct from a manufacturer and made to HT's specs - not something you'll find retail. And if by some miracle you found the manufacturer, it would certainly be cheaper to buy a second Chewie and use some of his lighter bits than it would be to obtain a minimum order quantity of fabric from a manufacturer. :)

Maybe a lighter version is available,

But that's totally doable, whether it be very light orange-brown or even white where you have to color it yourself, or a combination of different colors.

In my experience looking for fabrics, sometimes very specific ones, this is kind of like looking for a needle in a haystack made of needles in a city covered in needle haystacks. :) So if you can do work yourself to get the color you want on top of something more generic, this is going to be your best bet.

My guess is no, you'd have next to zero chance of obtaining exactly what they used as it's likely direct from a manufacturer and made to HT's specs - not something you'll find retail. And if by some miracle you found the manufacturer, it would certainly be cheaper to buy a second Chewie and use some of his lighter bits than it would be to obtain a minimum order quantity of fabric from a manufacturer. :)

But that's totally doable, whether it be very light orange-brown or even white where you have to color it yourself, or a combination of different colors.

In my experience looking for fabrics, sometimes very specific ones, this is kind of like looking for a needle in a haystack made of needles in a city covered in needle haystacks. :) So if you can do work yourself to get the color you want on top of something more generic, this is going to be your best bet.

My chewy still hasn't shipped, so I don't know what the fur i like in person, but can the lighter fur from the Hasbro Chewie be used?

Just like the Donald does for his fur piece, I'd grab strands from Chewie's ass so you don't see them missing. ;)

Someone said that the face coloring is what is putting them off - and you're 100% correct.

As you can see, all I've added in photoshop is the correct facial hair coloring - the eyes, nose, mouth is exactly the same as the original photo.

So if anyone has the ability to do this practically on their figure - he could be absolutely jaw-dropping!

(Hope you don't mind me pinching your photo Matrix?)

U can't make everybody happy... Me I'm over the moon. Can't wait to have him in my collection.

That coloring looks phenomenal! Looks like a picture from the set of the movie. Why didn't hot toys get it right?

Something well thinned with really small particulate size and a good deal of transparency so you could easily control its appearance. Probably best to use an airbrush to finely atomize it and then probably best to use something suitable for fabrics, like Createx or Jacquard brands. I think it'll be important to balance the color and opacity with the number of coats/thickness to prevent it from changing the texture significantly.

I definitely don't want to be the first person to try it - I don't have nearly enough experience with my airbrush yet. :)

I don't have the skills for the job but I'm going to give it a try anyway. Not sure when my Chewie will arrive at my local dealer, but once I get him I'll post my "progress."

Excellent...

guineapig_2891676b.jpg

Back