1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent...

guineapig_2891676b.jpg

^ Oh GREAT. That's JUST GREAT.
Now you've posted that, complaints en masse from parents around the globe.
Poor little Timmy getting told off by his mum for SHAVING THE GUINEA PIG just so he can superglue the hair on his Chewbacca figure.
Shameful.

Ha. The image was to signify that someone else is going to be the guinea pig to perform the coloring first. It just so happened that I came upon one where the little guy is being groomed, so I thought that would be fitting for this thread.

Ha. The image was to signify that someone else is going to be the guinea pig to perform the coloring first. It just so happened that I came upon one where the little guy is being groomed, so I thought that would be fitting for this thread.

And now you've potentially created "HAIRLESS GUINEA PIG FOUND" headlines everywhere.
Well Done.

Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible...

Pixel, are you selling perfectly color-matched-to-chewbacca guinea pigs? I don't need a live one if that makes shipping easier.

Here are a couple of ideas for improving the color blend on Chewy's head:

1) This has already been mentioned by pixel, but I thought I would offer my own first-hand experience with it: PAINT... I have used a thinned-down acrylic for a very similar application. With the proper (very) dry-brush technique, and the right brushes, making such small facial areas lighter wouldn't change the texture noticeably. The application needs to be very slight, with a thoroughly wiped-off brush.

2) Here's a more radical method: Remove the head and place it alone under an ultraviolet light source; a typical florescent office-type light bulb (or a grow-light) emits high levels of ultraviolet rays. Let the head be faded over a period of weeks, turning it several times during the process. When it is visibly lighter than the body, gently add darker areas with colored art pens. (not Sharpies, but good quality pens from an art store.) I have used this technique, and the final shading process with colored pens works surprisingly well. Of course this will take a while, maybe longer than two weeks- but the faded color it creates won't rub off, and the pen-shading won't either, without REALLY trying.

Personally I think I'll go with the paint method. The facial highlight color looks about the same as what the lips should be, give or take. Over-applying the light tan color all around the mouth, deep down, will simulate the light skin showing through the hair. Then I'll wipe the paint off the outside hair to restore the darker color at the surface, while leaving the light under-shade at skin level.

UV is extremely damaging and if you aren't careful could overexpose it causing the colors to fade with undesirable results and/or oxidize any paint on the facial features as well. I would not recommend that at all.

11509049032.jpg

Last edited:
Godda**** so I went to FIVE Petcos today and could not find one damn brindle guinea pig. Like, aren't those in season or something?! I already got banned from Petsmart as I was trying to match hair. Sensitive pricks. Geez. The search continues

:lol:gah: j/k

UV is extremely damaging and if you aren't careful could overexpose it causing the colors to fade with undesirable results and/or oxidize any paint on the facial features as well. I would not recommend that at all.
I wouldn't have recommended it if I hadn't already tried it myself, on acrylic fur. I got a good fade with no damage, then I added dark shading later. It worked very well.

I wouldn't have recommended it if I hadn't already tried it myself, on acrylic fur. I got a good fade with no damage, then I added dark shading later. It worked very well.

I'm more concerned about damaging the actual figure.

I still think gently dusting makeup might be the easiest way to cover it and get an accurate color match. Who wants to try it?!

(^o^)/

As soon as I am getting my Han/Chewie I will apply some pastells to Chewies face.
Got these awhile back for weathering my Hasbro Millennium Falcon and Tantive VI kit from Randy Cooper.
PAN30701.jpg
There are other brands of course, but I wanted to try the Panpastells out. Not cheap but.
Actually wrote about this idea like 300 pages back in this thread :p

Have not got mine yet but I am wondering if its not a pretty easy job to Airbrush the face to look a tad better.
Had a super quick photoshop run just to see what can be done simply using a lighter color in some places to enhance the facial structure.
View attachment 207073View attachment 207074

Or maybe one could also use pastels...just my 5 cents

I think the pastel specifically made for model weathering as captcox suggests may be the best bet, as they are made to stick to the surface more readily and many don't need a fixative...art pastels less so unless you then spray a fixative over it when done, but that would create more problems on this figure.

Sad when I prefer the Kenner to that potato-looking Hasbro.

Matrix - that photo is PRICELESS!!!!!! Laughed my ass off when I saw it! GOLD!!!

Someone said that the face coloring is what is putting them off - and you're 100% correct.

As you can see, all I've added in photoshop is the correct facial hair coloring - the eyes, nose, mouth is exactly the same as the original photo.

So if anyone has the ability to do this practically on their figure - he could be absolutely jaw-dropping!

(Hope you don't mind me pinching your photo Matrix?)

That's so much better. I need to do this, now it's Chewie. Paint?

Back