1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fast pics from previous review... apologize for the blurriness.... fresh from box, no futz...

Han and Chewie 10-14-15.jpg

Han and Chewie 2 10-14-15.jpg

HT Chewbacca 1.jpg

OK, picked up Chewbacca and Han Solo... opened them up... and ready for my FIRST IMPRESSIONS Report... here we go...

My initial impressions are a mixed bag.

GOOD:
1) it's a Chewbacca figure! That alone is impressive.

2) The height on this -- mine stands 14 3/4 inches without any modding -- is great. I see no issue or real need for more height next to Solo.

3) The fur is nicely matted and seems easy to work with, much moreso than I was expecting. Yes the chin is glued down but even with my fingers I got a little lift out of it. Will take some working as expected.

4) the gear is awesome, what little there is. Nicely detailed as expected.

5) hands swapped out easy for me.

6) figure stands well and feels sturdy -- not heavy, but it holds its pose and I don't feel its going to tip over in time.

BAD: here we go...
1) this figure is very dark. Too dark. Unfortunately dark. Pictures make it look lighter in hand than what I received. Could be mine. The face is so dark I do not see how I could lighten it (whether bleaching or by mixing in lighter hair).

2) the bag is a bit short. Not horrendous but I do wish it hung down another inch. Might be worth picking up an additional bag and adding the length.

Of the two figures, I found myself much more pleased with Han Solo than Chewbacca. Han really doesn't require much futzing at all out of the box, which certainly makes him more appealing on first impressions. Chewbacca will take some work to get it looking like some of the other players on this board.

But the dark face is a big disappointment for me.

That's a bummer about the darkness in-hand. I guess I'm going to see for myself soon enough. I wonder if there are batches and variance or if - more likely - it is what it is for everyone. You'd imagine they would have bought all the fur in one big lot.

Here I was really looking forward to Chewy and not so much to Han - have to reverse my expectations.:lol

Yours doesn't seem to photograph that dark, but I suppose it could be more of an in hand thing.

That's the thing, it photographs lighter... or with more contrast. It's definitely brown and black with clear delineation... but the brown is just darker than I was expecting.

That said, perhaps once I loosen up the fur it will appear lighter -- right now he's kind of all mashed and matted down from the packaging.

But the shape of Chewbacca is great. He definitely looks like Chewie when I stand back. I'm still very happy to have him.

That's a bummer about the darkness in-hand. I guess I'm going to see for myself soon enough. I wonder if there are batches and variance or if - more likely - it is what it is for everyone. You'd imagine they would have bought all the fur in one big lot.

Here I was really looking forward to Chewy and not so much to Han - have to reverse my expectations.:lol

It was a complete flip for me -- I wasn't expecting much from Han. But maybe therein lies the problem: expectations.

Could be batches. Was hoping for a "lighter" version myself... got the darker perhaps. Or its simply a matter of opinion what's 'dark' and what's not.

Digging the head tilt in the pics. Not sure if it was by design (guessing it was :wink1: ), but classic Chewie/Mayhew. Looks great. Can't wait till next week!

Digging the head tilt in the pics. Not sure if it was by design (guessing it was :wink1: ), but classic Chewie/Mayhew. Looks great. Can't wait till next week!

Thanks, by design. Wish the pics were clearer. But there will be a flood of excellent photos coming over the next few weeks.

I'm looking forward to having more time tomorrow to actually futz and see what I can get out of Chewbacca. I think it's likely I will be more satisfied once I invest some time.

Well it also comes with the two-stormtrooper pack. Likely it will appear again with someone, maybe Han Trooper too.

Plenty of chances to get it down the line.

That said, like most said, the bowcaster is so unique its hard to pose Chewie without it.

Why did you get single packs?

I got singles because I worried Han might not be that great - so I could separately sell if I didn't like it in-hand or if/when HT showed a (potentially superior) Han Bespin or Han Stormie headsculpt. I didn't see them revisiting OT Chewy so wanted to keep that. I also didn't need the long rifle - already have a few MG 34's.

I'll for sure going back in thread to futz Chewys hair correctly hopefully not to difficult or scarey to futz him into the ROTJ look. I cant wait to throw broken C3PO on him in backpacking empire mode with rotj look.

Back