1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think part of the reason the gaps are so large on the torso is because the chest plate isn't long enough. You can see in that last pic of the suit, the plate goes way down making the box sit basically on his stomach.

The chest plate is fine...in Star Wars (1977) sometimes Vader's neck was tucked underneath the chest plate like in rots. Like in that pick on the tactics IV....So the chest plate was pushed further down.

This pic

vader%2Bstar%2Bwars%2Bblockade%2Brunner%2Bbts-0000.jpg

See that like the rots, the neck is tucked in behind the chest around pushing it down further and more vertical (less angled as it pushes forward over the shoulders....
The problem would be if you couldn't pull the codpiece up The original Vader didn't have a crotch strap on the codpiece...

Yeah when you flip the image you see that they did make it pretty asymmetrical. And even the dome as well, which was unexpected. So unlike Sideshow, they clearly did their homework there.

Although if I were getting this, I'd still be tempted to lower the dome a bit more...

View attachment 221832

Great pic!
It is asymmetrical!

Actually you wouldn't need to lower it...
What makes the dome look like it looms over the eyes, is that the original helmets EYELIDSbordering the lenses are edged in BLACK not silver the like the subsequent Vader helmets in ESB and ROJ....

Seriously though the chest box is like half the size it should be, thats a big deal. So with custom robes, cape, sculpted gloves, and a bigger chest box this could be a good custom.

I have no interest in selling my sideshow vader deluxe, ill still need him to display with bespin luke dx7

Ill get him to go along with the rest of the orginal trilogy, now , luke, leia and waiting on hot toys r2 and 3po

Anyone that comes over and sees my collection wont notice the ugly gloves or undersized armor chestbox and belt boxes, they will tell me why I got 2 vaders and 3 lukes

Seriously though the chest box is like half the size it should be, thats a big deal. So with custom robes, cape, sculpted gloves, and a bigger chest box this could be a good custom.

Oh I see what you mean...yeah I believe it's like 2/3 th size...it's more like the empire size...
If you throw in the sideshow version chest box and gloves, it'd be a total win.

Has anyone posted this HT Vader next to the SSC ESB Vader

I want to see the size comparison

Well, I think he came out fantastic, overall (too bad about the chest box and to some degree the gloves, but they'll be easy to overlook for me). Think it'll be pretty stunning in-hand.

Well as long as you have one hand holding the lightsaber, and the other under the cape, like in the picture above, then the gloves shouldn't be an issue. It's only poses involving a raised hand or a force choke that you really have to avoid.

The elongated abs really bother me. But I guess I'd be buying it if I happen to have some extra funds at the end of the year ... Which I highly doubt. :lol

I see now why the gloves are the way they are -- they are part of the sleeve for swapping hands and open enough to allow that large forearm to be swapped.

Unfortunate design. But if that's the worst of it, so be it. If the glove is sewn to the sleeve, then such much for swapping out to the SS gloves.

Good height check here...

12189952_1036319776430012_4180741165024063184_n.jpg

Last edited:
How is the negative nitpicking outweighing the positives

Positive
Light up saber
Breathing sounds
JEJ voice
Light up belt

Negative
Gloves, no big deal, more articulation in the wrists works for me
COD piece and belt too low, I'm sure you can futz with it

This is still is a great piece :lecture

I don't think the negatives outweigh the positives, though your positives happen to be pretty far down on my list. Mine goes:

Helmet
Helmet
Helmet
Helmet

Back