1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered from HK. Only mod I'm considering is adding the Dredd gloved hands. They're bendy hands so I should be able to get some decent force gesture poses. Should have him early next week. I'll be sure to post some naturally lit pics.

Now we're going to see all the haters come back to love this HT Vader and hate the SS Vader they were so content with lol.

In fairness, HT vader went through a bit of an evolution from Proto to production. What I like about HT: you actually see improvement. SSC its always the other way around

HT Vader is stunning. I own the SS Deluxe BUT wondering if I do want to upgrade to a HT version I should be patient and wait for the ESB/ROTJ. I feel more connected with that look than ANH.

Gotta say I'm really happy with what I'm seeing here, the original proto was pretty underwhelming. It certainly had the makings to be the best licensed 1/6 Vader, but had enough weirdness to make me iffy on if he was a must buy. I still pre-ordered, but so glad to see that HT has really done a lot of tweaking to their SW figures to go from a good proto to a great product.

I do hate the gloves though, I see what they were going for and commend them on the effort. But with the flap being a touch too thick and sticking up it really hurts the realism. Not to mention finish of the fingers seems to have a bit more of a shine which really highlights that it's two different materials. I'd have preferred fully sculpted gloves over these.

And I can't imagine the Sideshow ones would be a good upgrade, those things are ridiculously huge.

The mask and dome look incredible though, and the comparisons put the SSC Deluxe figure to shame.

Hey guys, remember the famous Marmit Vader that was never produced? Look at how good the Hot Toys version looks next to it.

Vader.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This will be a day long remembered... someone finally topped the fabled Marmit prototype :lol

This will be a day long remembered... someone finally topped the fabled Marmit prototype :lol

Probably wasn't topped if you look below the helmet (box, belt, chest armor spacing), and even the helmet is maybe subjective (I'm not sure which is more accurate but they both look pretty great in that shot above). Helmet straight on though I'd still probably give the edge to the Marmit.

Can't wait to see what everyone does with this figure. Hopefully there are some good workarounds for some of the bothersome parts.

If only they could have gotten it a little shorter I would be as happy as a pig in ****. I've been cautiously optimistic about this from the start and from what I'm seeing this is something I could really settle with, it's as good as it needs to be. But why why why did it have to be so tall? :banghead

The head on the deluxe doesn't look to be fully pushed down either so it probably is a little shorter than it looks. Oh well, three or four more vader releases and it will have the right height.

Thanks for posting these pics, Aliaz. What's really interesting with the side by side is you see that the chest armor appears bigger or longer on the Hot Toys figure, and the chest box looks to be pretty much the same size, and this is all on a slightly shorter Vader figure. Really shows that it's the belt riding too low most likely.

Granted these represent different Vaders, but just in terms of overall proportions.

I saw these on Facebook, courtesy of Don Tam:
Comparing SS to HT. Even a height difference shown!
6d5e09ff2b078706ed375befd2e07622.jpg
1f2c76f8ae9fb346920cc45dab996d8f.jpg

Gotta say I'm really happy with what I'm seeing here, the original proto was pretty underwhelming. It certainly had the makings to be the best licensed 1/6 Vader, but had enough weirdness to make me iffy on if he was a must buy. I still pre-ordered, but so glad to see that HT has really done a lot of tweaking to their SW figures to go from a good proto to a great product.

I do hate the gloves though, I see what they were going for and commend them on the effort. But with the flap being a touch too thick and sticking up it really hurts the realism. Not to mention finish of the fingers seems to have a bit more of a shine which really highlights that it's two different materials. I'd have preferred fully sculpted gloves over these.

And I can't imagine the Sideshow ones would be a good upgrade, those things are ridiculously huge.

The mask and dome look incredible though, and the comparisons put the SSC Deluxe figure to shame.

Hi there. :wave

Probably wasn't topped if you look below the helmet (box, belt, chest armor spacing), and even the helmet is maybe subjective (I'm not sure which is more accurate but they both look pretty great in that shot above). Helmet straight on though I'd still probably give the edge to the Marmit.

Can't wait to see what everyone does with this figure. Hopefully there are some good workarounds for some of the bothersome parts.

The hot toys helmet is far more accurate if you compare each to the prop.
But the Marmit has a better shape on the chest armour that's for certain.

Beat me to it!! DAMN!!!

Is it confirmed that the suit is in fact leather?
Or is it some type of latex or faux material that would disintegrate faster than a rubber suit would?
All of my Kenner/Hasbro Vader's and one of my Medicom figures has the fake leather flaking away....my cinemaquette is still fine because it is clothed in real leather ...

Back