1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow -- and I thought the HT chest armor was short. :lol

Thank god the HT is the proper height. That solves a major issue. It's also nice to see just how much this looks like the old Marmit from 20 years ago. Took a long time but I finally feel like I'm getting closer to that perfection.

yup. feel the same. :rock

Will HT do an ESB version before the ROTJ, who knows

ESB and ROTJ are so similar, I don't see the point... but it will be interesting to see how HT markets their next Vader. ESB is the preferred, but certainly the next will have a full reveal head, which of course is only ROTJ.

I personally think an ROTJ Vader makes sense with a Jedi Luke.

This shot is a reveal. Not anh at all. But this seems only a problem of futzing. Cod piece and belt a little upper, inner robe a little more close and I think that posing him in a tipical anh pose could be stunning! Definitely my congrats to the future owners of this figure! View attachment 222235

ESB and ROTJ are so similar, I don't see the point... but it will be interesting to see how HT markets their next Vader. ESB is the preferred, but certainly the next will have a full reveal head, which of course is only ROTJ.

Hopefully they wont bother with Rouge One, unless it comes with some neat accessories .

Vader from ROTJ with a Jedi Luke wave would be great but....

I would LOVE a DX Vader with Meditation Chamber and removable helmet set from ESB more i think...

Either way.... gotta love that Dark Helmet tumblr_m0j49x3xH11qdohfeo1_400.jpg

It does make sense thematically but Bauer has said a few times now that Jedi Luke is imminent. I don't think they'll put a pre-order up for ESB/ROTJ Vader while their own ANH and SSC's Deluxe are both in stock. I just can't see that making business sense to anyone at HT. Personally I think we'll be getting Emperor as the third ROTJ reveal.

Sorry if been answered but where are the electronics for the sound FX housed?

Actually in the figure?
That appears to be the case, Cap'n (similar to RoboCop). One of the reviewers confirmed the batteries for the sound go into Vader's back (you have to remove the helmet, cape and jumpsuit, then unscrew the cover and put the batteries in... which means I'll never bother :lol).

How many of us are gonna look at are SS Deluxe Vader and do some serious thinking.
Dumped mine in anticipation of this one about a year ago. Even at that time I had to sell under retail. With SSC's still being in stock (exclusive does not seem coveted) and HT's about to hit, I'd say the price is going to go even lower. Feels like there are a million of the Deluxe's out there, too.

Little futz and....great figure! Hope to see your pics soon!:clap

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 391
  • vader futzed.jpg
    vader futzed.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 392
I thought it was a little bit shorter. Like an 1/8" or 1/4" at most. Never had the ANH version but didn't like the height of the deluxe.

I'm surprised the HT is that tall compared to the SSC DX. I also thought it would be closer to that 13" - 13 1/4" mark (from what I've seen, around 13" is about right for Vader,) though it probably is maybe 13 1/2" so only about 1/4" oversized which is futzable - the 3/4" over that the SSC DX was is not.

Probably wasn't topped if you look below the helmet (box, belt, chest armor spacing), and even the helmet is maybe subjective (I'm not sure which is more accurate but they both look pretty great in that shot above). Helmet straight on though I'd still probably give the edge to the Marmit.

Can't wait to see what everyone does with this figure. Hopefully there are some good workarounds for some of the bothersome parts.

:goodpost:

Yeah, there's still a few quibbles with the HT helmet (and a few brighter-lit pics where I can still see traces of that slightly wonky proto,) and the Marmit and Kaiyodo facemasks maybe seem closer to the bullseye at this early stage, but fortunately it's coming down to nits that only a Vader aficionado would notice. And the HT is available and complete, and that's a huge plus.

The hot toys helmet is far more accurate if you compare each to the prop.

I think that might be going a little far, but overall - ALL things considered - it's the best 1/6 Vader helmet ever done and I do love how the HT dome actually has the uneven skirt and slight asymmetry - that's an amazing eye for detail on HT's part.:clap

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking too. It's tough if you're wanting a "one and done" Vader for your $300+ - this one certainly has an amount of wonk to it (not sure there's any easy solution to those gloves) but I assume HT will do a DX for the next release along the lines of the SSC one, so it'll be more expensive, and likely won't be in-hand for quite some time (maybe announced by mid year next year and release in 2017.) But it will have many of the nits resolved.

It's frustrating because it's like the Tama vs SSC 3PO thing - even if the SSC turns out better (unlikely...) Tama owners will have had a great 3PO to enjoy in their collection for several years, and even if it's topped it might be a subjective thing.

So maybe this Vader is a "bird in the hand" situation... why wait another two years for a slightly better Vader when this one's pretty damn close?

Hopefully they wont bother with Rouge One, unless it comes with some neat accessories .

View attachment 222348

If Vader is in rogue one and he looks like he does in a new hope, I bet it will be an opportunity for hot toys to do a Vader 2.0. Hot Toys loves new versions of the same main characters so it would be a sure bet since they can reuse most of the same parts.

Im ordering this on Black Friday. Anyone think there will be double rewards or a promo code?

Back