1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where's all the naysayers now? Show me ONE aspect of any previous release from any company that comes close to this masterpiece.

Although not "perfect," Hot Toys are the most outstanding 1/6 Star Wars line that has ever been.

Each release just gets better and better and (from memory) they are the only company who improves on the prototypes - with every other company we're praying it'll turn out as good as the first showing... and it never does :(

HT seem to listen to the online feedback and step-up.

Happy days!!!

There were no naysayers.... complaint about the cape and gloves are valid.... and notice the gloves are hidden in Para's pics.

Just want to check if I'm understanding correctly; is the switch to turn on the lights on the belt underneath the costume, so you have to at least partially disrobe the figure every time you want to turn them on or off? That can't be right. I must not be following these posts or something.

Why didn't they just make the lights activate by the remote like the sounds are?

Just want to check if I'm understanding correctly; is the switch to turn on the lights on the belt underneath the costume, so you have to at least partially disrobe the figure every time you want to turn them on or off? That can't be right. I must not be following these posts or something.

Why didn't they just make the lights activate by the remote like the sounds are?

I believe that's just for the sound effects. But yeah, doesn't seem worth it at all.

Well i thought i could wait for the possible ROTJ version and if not get this later. Not sure if i can hold out.

This came out better than the prototype. I think it's a order for me when it hits in stock. Looks very nice!

I think the deluxe is 13 3/4" or 13 7/8" so 13 1/2" or 13 5/8" sounds about right based on the comparisons we saw.

When I was pulling together all the pieces for my Kaiyodo/Hurricane Vader, I dug through all the old Vader threads (tons of comments, arguments and posted ref pics...:slap) and the consensus seemed to be that Vader in 1/6 is between 13" and 13 1/4".

And yeah, a pic I have saved shows the SSC DX Vader laying on a ruler up close and it's 13 7/8" to the top of the dome and the HT Vader does look to be about 1/4" shorter.

Vader is 6-8, so a 1/6 figure should barely be above 13 inches high.

Trust me, this conversation has been done to death in this forum many, many times before with near-religious fervor. You open this can of worms now and you'll have an avalanche of cast photos, comp pics and people swearing they met David Prowse in his prime.:lol

I waded through the vitriol so you don't have to. Low end is around 13" (which was my calculation before I discovered the goldmine on here) and high end is 13 1/4". 'Nuff said.:rotfl

Oh, and I found a pic of the proto (on left) that pretty closely matches someone's pic of the production fig:

sw9s1d.png

When I was pulling together all the pieces for my Kaiyodo/Hurricane Vader, I dug through all the old Vader threads (tons of comments, arguments and posted ref pics...:slap) and the consensus seemed to be that Vader in 1/6 is between 13" and 13 1/4".

And yeah, a pic I have saved shows the SSC DX Vader laying on a ruler up close and it's 13 7/8" to the top of the dome and the HT Vader does look to be about 1/4" shorter.

Yeah, by "about right" I just meant in terms of Stealth's estimate of HT Vader's height, but I still think it's a tad too tall. 13 1/4" would maybe be perfect. One thing I didn't like overall with the SS Vader next to the HT Stormies was that it was both too tall and the dome was too small and narrow. Made it look out of scale in opposing ways. SS helmet looked better side by side with the Snowtrooper as at least their helmet is more narrow as well.

So the fact that the HT Vader has both the larger dome and is a bit shorter is great on both fronts, even if the height isn't perfect.

Oh, and I found a pic of the proto (on left) that pretty closely matches someone's pic of the production fig:

sw9s1d.png

The dome was definitely fixed and lowered a bit, outside of that I'm still not totally certain about structural changes to the face mask. It's possible the angle of the neck and dome are such that the face mask is angled upward a touch, which could maybe reduce the length of nose and things of that nature. :dunno

Now that it's been shown that crotch futzing is possible in all those wonderful photos by Paramore and Stealth, and the big gap can be eradicated, I can see that this is the Vader I'm looking for. :)

Strange how they've buried the switch under a fat-suit and the leather suit. That couldn't have seemed like a good idea at the time.

Solution: gluing on a larger 'toggle' top so you can feel it under the suit. Just a thought.

Tie a cord to the toggle so it hangs between his legs where it's easy to pull on and off whenever you feel like it.

:lecture

Useless gimmick anyway. A nuisance to have to put batteries in him just to make sure he works before removing said batteries forever.

Back