1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like HT got rid of the divots under the eyes?!? They should be there. Hard to tell. If they were going to tweak it this much, they should have started from scratch or used their 1/4th as a base of reference. Baffling as usual.
The divots do appear to be missing alright. It's always one step forward and two steps back.

No wonder I hate his look in that movie.
I've always preferred the ROTJ suit, so I like the exposed chain and cape collar.

For reference:

star-wars-darth-vader_510-c31db1286e4e4475a889962df5022552.jpg

Screenshot 2024-08-13 141605.jpg

Screenshot 2024-08-13 141729.jpg

What do you prefer about the look in ROTJ? It fascinates me. Is it a childhood thing? Was ROTJ your favorite Star Wars?

To me, he was overly shiny, to the point details are lost. Except in the 1st meeting with Luke where he looks suddenly dull as ANH. He was also so poorly shot in ROTJ, just bad angles, bad lighting. Very few iconic images of Vader from ROTJ. Pretty much just the one with him and Luke in the elevator. There are others, but not many.

What do you prefer about the look in ROTJ? It fascinates me. Is it a childhood thing? Was ROTJ your favorite Star Wars?
All of the above? I always liked how clean and sleek it looked and love how cool he looks coming out of his cruiser(?) after landing on the new Death Star in the opening scenes.

But yes, as a child, ROTJ was my favorite mostly hinging on Luke more than anything though. Really liked the look of him being in the all black with green lightsaber which was also my first ever Star Wars figure. I used to never really care for Vader looking all dirty in ANH and ESB is still to this day, my least favorite of the OT movies. Now its ANH>ROTJ>ESB for me.

Last edited:
Helmet mainly mask is a definitive tweak in positive direction, so much better then the ESB version. I still think dx28 is better, in hand the likeness is noticeably better vs the ESB mask but want to see some side by side comparisons with this new one. This RoTJ release having the unmask function and scalp/neck details is also big plus.

This, imo, is great even for an ESB Vader. All you need to do is swap the chest box and place cape underneath the helmet. Hot Toys ain’t perfect, so I gotta work with what I’ve been given out the box, so this is what I plan to do.

This updated helmet is much, much better than the prior ESB reuse aka insectoid, derpy Vader.

So what brought you around to ANH finally?
Hard to pinpoint really but didn't happen until early adulthood when rewatching them. Could be that Han morphed into my favorite character of the OT. Vader appears more menacing to me in it as well. Appreciating the world building more as an adult, too.

For a more direct comparison, this is the only shot I can find of my slightly modded (nose) HT ESB helmet which is very close to matching angle/lens the blogger pic of the ROTJ helmet.

This ROTJ sculpt is close to new as you can see the eye divots are not present on the ROTJ, the teeth mesh pattern, teeth strip width and width of ridge between eyes is different ESB vs ROTJ sculpts.

Glad they tweaked the under-eye area (the sharpness of the angle on the ESB sculpt being perhaps the worst issue) and also heightened the eyes a bit (second worst aspect of ESB) but the new sculpt's still not quite looking right overall.

Screen-Shot-2024-08-14-at-8-30-13-am.png

Last edited:
I know it's not the best made helmet in terms of quality, but the newest sideshow 1/6 ROTJ helmet seemed pretty accurate to me as far as sculpting goes. Would've tried to mod that one to fit if it didn't have a seam line down the chin/neck and if had translucent lenses.

Last edited:
Amazed that HT has persisted with the lil' button nose for Vader. And leaving out the divots just below the eyes is a weird one.

Last edited:
Back