1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can't see it. I look at this figure time and time again and I just don't know why so many people like it. I understand it is probably the best 1/6 Chewie out there, but I have seen it in-hand and in pics and IMO (humbly) I think this is just one of those situations where nostalgia and fandom is winning over essence.
I still can't buy a figure for that price I have to futz with ( to the degree I've read and seen is necessary) to display decently. So I am with you. Too many other great figures coming up with little to no futzing required.

Manthyss, I have to say, I pretty much felt the same initially. In fact, I was debating the two-pack for a while because I thought we might be looking at deep discounting on Chewie based on the reception he initially received from the promo pics and the comicon shots. I was thinking I'd pick up Han and then grab Chewie later on the cheap (or wait for a possible v2). But trust us. It is stunning in hand with MINIMAL futzing. Particularly if you get one of the later produced figures with the lighter face. No kidding, it is the figure of the year.

Now if Chewie is not that important to you as a character and you think your collection doesn't need him, then by all means save the money and pass. We don't want to try to talk you into anything. But if you LOVE Chewie, this IS Chewie. Honest and for true.

Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible...

Guys are some chewie sets darker (face) from the other sets?
The darker ones seem to be well futz at least in most pics compared to lighter faced ones!
But is it true that some are darker faced and with right amount of hair or it just appears to be so...

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/.../137019-leon-911-partial-collection-40-a.html

I got my set in august,and chewie looks the same as the rest shipped later.
Futzing and lighting makes them appear different.

Highly recommend adding the Mighty Chewbacca to your collection if you have not already.

IMG_38924.JPG
IMG_38963.JPG

The other thing I've found is that for some reason, he seems to photograph far darker than he appears in person. I added a few cell phone shots of Han on the Han thread today, and I cut Chewie out because I just couldn't get an image that was representative of what my eyes were seeing. He is AWESOME.

I just can't see it. I look at this figure time and time again and I just don't know why so many people like it. I understand it is probably the best 1/6 Chewie out there, but I have seen it in-hand and in pics and IMO (humbly) I think this is just one of those situations where nostalgia and fandom is winning over essence.
I still can't buy a figure for that price I have to futz with ( to the degree I've read and seen is necessary) to display decently. So I am with you. Too many other great figures coming up with little to no futzing required.

If anything, how this figure is being futzed by each collector is an interesting look at how differently each of us see the Wookie. Certainly there are some images in this thread that have me scratching my head, and I think some of the "That looks great!" comments are mere politeness between collectors, but the Wookie is mostly there in hand. For me it's the eyes that cause the problems (they are far too recessed), and the way in which some collectors style the hair (particularly the 'beard') drastically affect how 'accurate' Chewie looks. But each to his own, I guess.

However, I do think there are some major missteps with the HT Star Wars line so far, unfortunately as pertains to likeness. I still have them all (either in hand or pre-ordered), but I'm also very much aware of their shortcomings.

I just grabbed one of the masterpiece 3p0 off of eBay for $20 shipped. It's a very cost effective way to get the net and a 3p0 for the backpack look.

Awesome,you must have gotten real lucky with a best offer or something cause they are sky high and going quickly on ebay. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

If anything, how this figure is being futzed by each collector is an interesting look at how differently each of us see the Wookie.

Less how we individually perceive the Wookie and more down to individual futzing skill. I know my skills are on the low side.

I so want this figure, I know a LOT of Hot Toys look way better in hand than any picture can convey and I have seen some decent futzing but every time I really look at the photos he seems so cross eyed and "off" I'm afraid to put the order in, please someone convince me because I needs me some wookie!!!

I've only been collecting for over year; during that time I've purchased a few figures I could easily part with...this is not one of them!

Seems like Chewie and Han are sold out in the regular retailers. Are these normally restocked by Hot Toys when they get sold out?

The other thing I've found is that for some reason, he seems to photograph far darker than he appears in person. I added a few cell phone shots of Han on the Han thread today, and I cut Chewie out because I just couldn't get an image that was representative of what my eyes were seeing. He is AWESOME.

How are you lighting him and what kind of camera are you using?

Just got and opened mine. Loved the figure. Thanks for all the inputs and pictures. It was this forum that made me buy it.

Just talking about cell phone shots here and lighting ambient only. No real problems with the DSLR and controlled lighting. I was just surprised that I was seeing one thing and the (cell phone) camera reported back nicely with Han, but Chewie came out dark.

Thanks for the reply!

Yip. It's one he'll of a figure!

My chewie is very lonely...I need to get more star wars figures! Lol

b96d09eca72c6d117fde84946db57487.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You guys think we will get a new chewbacca from first order?

There's only one Chewie! This is CHEWIE!! Get him or lose out!!!

.....uhhhhh, but we might get a TFA Chewie/Han two-pack, I could see that. Or singles....they could do TFA Han/Chewie singles, that could happen...:)

Back