1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having compared the Marmit helmet sculpt to my scaled project I can say they got many things right and some things wrong. Looking at the new pics of the HT it is the same thing - they got many things right and some things wrong. The Marmit still looks to have better shapes to certain armor parts, where the HT could still do with a little improvement, but also vice versa. It's a tie in my mind between the two.

Seeing the early HT prototype pictures I was bummed, but the current look is miles beyond what it was and so much closer.

They should just tone down the gunmetal application - it was never that thick-sloppy on the real helmet. They can create a much more realistic effect if they just dry-brushed on thin layers instead of this thick mess.

I think this HT ANH Vader looks pretty good overrall, and the helmet/mask looks fantastic. However, I'm not seeing enough else here to make me want to dump my SSC Deluxe Vader, especially knowing an ESB/ROTJ version from HT is inevitable sooner or later, and could very likely be better than this.

If I didn't already have the SSC Deluxe I'd be all over this, without question. But since I'm still pretty satisfied with it, I think I will remain patient and see what's to come from HT.

Im ordering this on Black Friday. Anyone think there will be double rewards or a promo code?
I think it's extremely unlikely that this will see any kind of discount or promotion. Could see it selling out, actually.*

* - Not that that means anything. Thought T1 BD Arnie and BD RoboCop would sell out, too. :slap That said, this is Star Wars and HT Vader.

Having compared the Marmit helmet sculpt to my scaled project I can say they got many things right and some things wrong. Looking at the new pics of the HT it is the same thing - they got many things right and some things wrong. The Marmit still looks to have better shapes to certain armor parts, where the HT could still do with a little improvement, but also vice versa. It's a tie in my mind between the two.

Seeing the early HT prototype pictures I was bummed, but the current look is miles beyond what it was and so much closer.

They should just tone down the gunmetal application - it was never that thick-sloppy on the real helmet. They can create a much more realistic effect if they just dry-brushed on thin layers instead of this thick mess.
Good info, TMG. Always enjoy reading yours and demorathis' comments on Vader. Encouraging that you guys seem to be seeing more right than wrong with it.

Last edited:
The issue with the HT fingers is that they do not look like gloved fingers. They are way too skinny. If they were beefed up a little it wouldn't be such a jarring transition.

My goodness the SS vs HT thread on FB is good for a laugh. :lol Thought I'd share some quotes from a guy who is arguing on behalf of SS.

"Only if you are looking at ANH helmet! The SS and HT are 2 different designs. Both are accurate to their respective designs."

"What?!?! Comparing the helmet designs to each other is like comparing apples to oranges . Two different looks completely so you can't compare the 2 of them to anything but their respective matches in 2 different movies. But definitely not to each other."

"Are you not getting what I'm saying??? Yes hot toys looks closer to that pic because that's the helmet hot toys used for their figure. No sideshows doesn't look anything like it, because that's not the helmet they used to make their figure."

I think it's extremely unlikely that this will see any kind of discount or promotion. Could see it selling out, actually.*

* - Not that that means anything. Thought T1 BD Arnie and BD RoboCop would sell out, too. :slap That said, this is Star Wars and HT Vader.

Good info, TMG. Always enjoy reading yours and demorathis' comments on Vader. Encouraging that you guys seem to be seeing more right than wrong with it.

:exactly:

It's possible the $300 pricepoint might be a deterrent to a fast sell-out, but you're right - it is Vader.

And yeah - discounted? Not a chance.:lol

My goodness the SS vs HT thread on FB is good for a laugh. :lol Thought I'd share some quotes from a guy who is arguing on behalf of SS.

"Only if you are looking at ANH helmet! The SS and HT are 2 different designs. Both are accurate to their respective designs."

"What?!?! Comparing the helmet designs to each other is like comparing apples to oranges . Two different looks completely so you can't compare the 2 of them to anything but their respective matches in 2 different movies. But definitely not to each other."

"Are you not getting what I'm saying??? Yes hot toys looks closer to that pic because that's the helmet hot toys used for their figure. No sideshows doesn't look anything like it, because that's not the helmet they used to make their figure."

Can only say that this guy needs to study the real helmets more, as he's wrong.

Having studied all facets of Darth Vader, from fact to fiction to fantasy to fanboy fan-gasm, I have come to the empirical decision that this is currently the best Vader your money can buy.

Having studied all facets of Darth Vader, from fact to fiction to fantasy to fanboy fan-gasm, I have come to the empirical decision that this is currently the best Vader your money can buy.

For AT LEAST the next 12 months.:lol

I can't believe Vader looked like this in one of the first teaser pics we got, about a year ago.

Hot-Toys-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Darth-Vader-and-Obi-Wan-600x400.jpg

But these are pics from Toy Soul last December. Is the final production piece all that much different?

Obi-Wan-Kenobi-vs-Darth-Vader-image-3.jpg

Obi-Wan-Kenobi-vs-Darth-Vader-image-4.jpg

Obi-Wan-Kenobi-vs-Darth-Vader-image-5.jpg

i love my SSC deluxe Vader, and have no plans to get rid of him.... but in regards to the Hot Toys Vader gloves dislike, i feel i should mention the SSC versions huge gloves and tiny arms never sat right with me. It blends in from a distance just fine for me and where i have him, but i always felt it was a bit off. i don't have the ANH version and have no interest at this point to get one, but the Hot Toys ANH/ROTJ Vader mash up looks great even with the gloves as is, and i say ROTJ because the chest box is more proper to that movie opposed to Grandpa Vader in ANH... overall i think it will be a wonderful piece. i think its a safe bet if you don't like the design at least one more Vader will drop in the next 3 years from HT, but in comparison to what i have i think it hold up to scrutiny better, even if not entirely ANH accurate..

Again not bashing either version...

I can't believe Vader looked like this in one of the first teaser pics we got, about a year ago.

Hot-Toys-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Darth-Vader-and-Obi-Wan-600x400.jpg

But these are pics from Toy Soul last December. Is the final production piece all that much different?

Obi-Wan-Kenobi-vs-Darth-Vader-image-3.jpg

Obi-Wan-Kenobi-vs-Darth-Vader-image-4.jpg

Obi-Wan-Kenobi-vs-Darth-Vader-image-5.jpg

The dome is completely new. Mostly everything else looks to be the same. However, the dome was the main thing that kept the figure from capturing that ANH Vader presence so changing it was a significant improvement.

The dome is completely new. Mostly everything else looks to be the same. However, the dome was the main thing that kept the figure from capturing that ANH Vader presence so changing it was a significant improvement.

I see, thanks. :duff

The mask and helmet look great from certain angles, less so from others. I don't know if the chest box is undersized, but if the chest armor had extended down just a bit more, there wouldn't be so much space between the box and the belt.

I'm not sure if the light-up saber is the reason why we got the gloves we did, but I agree with just about everybody else that they're disappointing. Bendy hands and a dedicated saber-holding hand would've been preferable.

I'm still on fence with this one. The few things i like is the probe droid n vader hands and helmet look decent but doesnt get me hyped like Sideshow's version did maybe because own 3 vaders and know i'll never use lame sound fx except saber light up. I need to watch some reviews n decent pic's to decide still i dont know if feel the force is with me to buy him.:dunno :lsvader

I'm with zeiss on this one. The dome seems to have been reworked for the better of course, but nothing else seems that different to me. What a difference some good dome makes.

I'm still on fence with this one. The few things i like is the probe droid n vader hands and helmet look decent but doesnt get me hyped like Sideshow's version did maybe because own 3 vaders and know i'll never use lame sound fx except saber light up. I need to watch some reviews n decent pic's to decide still i dont know if feel the force is with me to buy him.:dunno :lsvader

I'll probably pick this up but I haven't decided when. HT will probably pump out as many Vaders as DX08s, but I'm concerned it'll sell out before it's ever discounted.

I think they did tweak the facemask. The "droop" isn't pronounced and the length of the nose doesn't seem as much as the proto. The proto was painted weirdly, so that could be part of it.

O.K just watched the review and like the undersuit but dont like worrying about his suit wearing away if pose with bent arm's and he does not sound fun to set up with battery's n saber arm having me on negative side. The velcro shin guards on boots look good. The cheap cape clasp look's like i'd want sideshows version instead. After seeing the probe droid i'm disapointed on cheap base 4 it ,but i'm sure we all will have enough sw bases 4 it some where if we display it. The helmet does look damn impressive. I'm just worried because we all saw MEDICOMS Vader suit peel away but Medicom is the worst 1/6 company out there IMO. I may buy but if do he will be pretty much set up display n not touch him or pose and be A statue in my collection.

Back