1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand why anyone would be criticized or mocked for waiting until all of the empirical evidence around the appearance (and sometimes function) of a product moving from prototype to production can be examined prior to pulling the trigger. I'd be more inclined to criticize and mock someone who buy blindly hits the pre-order button just because the name of a character you like is slapped on the display stand :lol.

If one has the wherewithal to purchase every last product that HT (or any other company) produces sight unseen, well then more power to you. I suppose you're entitled to your self-righteous position. But with these prices rising like the tide during a tsunami, I'll be looking at anything and everything photographically or in person that I can consume before I commit my hard earned dollars to a collectible piece.

Agreed. Not to mention that in many cases, it's not until you see someone like Para properly futz and photograph a figure and get it looking how it should look that you finally see just how good it can be. With this Vader, for instance, it wasn't entirely clear until today that it was even possible to shorten the gap between the chestbox and belt, which makes a massive difference in the look and accuracy of the figure.

Up until we see those final improved figures, I think we're perfectly justified in critiquing what we see.

Indeed. Well said, Davejames...

By the way, can't get enough of this shot, DJ. Jaw dropping.

image.jpg

I'm just pissed that Hot toys didn't get the Star wars licence before Sideshows Vader Deluxe. Well, guess I'll just pack the Deluxe away when the drool worthy Hot Toys Vader Arrives.:gah:

SS Vader deluxe was the first figure I ever pre-ordered. (I always got my figures from ebay.)
In all fairness, it had a good run. Lets just be thankful we are getting these types of figures from HT NOW instead of dropping more money on sub par figures again over the next millennium.

You seem to subscribe to that philosophy when people bash your PT. Can't have it both ways.

:rotfl

Most people don't see the figures at any of con and are relying on photos and the fact is these figures can change pretty drastically from proto to production (Han has a different face! :lol)--some for the worse, some for the better. People go back and forth not just because of terrible pictures but because the figures themselves in those photos actually sometimes don't look that good, it's not an illusion. If that's what the final Chewie actually looked like and if Vader wasn't changed, a lot more people would have passed on both. Despite all that I never canceled my Chewie pre-order (never ordered Vader, figuring I'd wait to see if production changes happened, but remained optimistic as I never was too thrilled with the SS Deluxe).

Given all that it's strange to come on the board and say "I told you so" to every body whose opinion changed based on a changing figure, just seems a little unnecessary. If people didn't react with their opinions on new sets of photos there would be nothing to talk about on this board for the 9 months between pre-order and release. Anyhow, it's good both these figures came out nicely, incredibly actually. Along with the Tama 3PO, could be the best SW figures made to date.

:exactly:

And Jamesthecat, did you buy two HT Vaders, and you've modded one?

My only issue with the sabres (sight as yet unseen), is that they presuppose a one handed fighting stance. Everyone knows that the ANH sabre stance was two-handed like a katana. Can Vader and Obi be posed that way (with two hands on the hilt)?

My only issue with the sabres (sight as yet unseen), is that they presuppose a one handed fighting stance. Everyone knows that the ANH sabre stance was two-handed like a katana. Can Vader and Obi be posed that way (with two hands on the hilt)?

20151028_084014_001-1.jpg
I know Obi can

:rotfl

:exactly:

And Jamesthecat, did you buy two HT Vaders, and you've modded one?

Yes I've modded the chest box I put SS ANH chest box on it
I've just been watching a new a hope though and I think the HT is right now
better than the SS ANH one
Everybody who said its a bit big
Jesus you won't kidding LOL

Have you seen the one that comes with Vader Deluxe? Hasbro would be proud.

You mean these ones? Is it the blade plastic quality or the hilts you mean?

Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-029.jpg

I only have an unlit hilt from the Vader DX (can't find it right now) but I thought the hilt seemed comparable quality to the HT Ben saber I just received. HT seems to do stainless steel finish a bit better than SSC, but it wasn't a big difference.

Really love your weathering, James. Great work!

Admittedly, now that I see it, I believe the SS chest box may actually be too big.

It was designed for a figure that's probably an inch taller than the HT figure.

It's one of the major issues with the SSC Vaders - they weren't just too tall, their parts were also scaled for that over-height. So you can shorten them, but the oversize parts have to be somehow tweaked or simply hidden for the shorter fig.

Those gloves look like a lot of custom work to get them looking good (like what Hurricane does to them.) Not sure they are a "pop on my HT Vader" type solution to the skeletor hands.

Yeah, I'll pass on the Dredd gloves and make do with the ones from HT. :pow

Yup the chain was there ;) just under the helmet during some scenes

darth_vader_and_leia.jpg

Damn those HT gloves. :slap

You mean these ones? Is it the blade plastic quality or the hilts you mean?

Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-029.jpg

I only have an unlit hilt from the Vader DX (can't find it right now) but I thought the hilt seemed comparable quality to the HT Ben saber I just received. HT seems to do stainless steel finish a bit better than SSC, but it wasn't a big difference.

The blade was way too thick..looked like a red baseball bat.
The original SS ANH Vaders saber was awesome in deep red color and width..it also tapered at the end.

Yeah the "lit" saber for the SS Vader is terrible. And the Luke Hoth one was even worse somehow. I might still grab the SS deluxe chest box as that seems about the same size as the Hot Toys one. Plus, more lights!

Back