Hot Toys MMS 145 - Iron Man 2 - Mark V 1/6 limited edition collectible specs + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought it just so I can count up to 6 without skipping 5. I'm hoping once in hand and on display with the rest the decision of buying it would be easier on me.

I'm going to sell mine. The flat grey paint job is killing this figure, it just doesn't quite look like the mark v with that paint job. There are other things i don't like about it either.

I hope they don't make the same mistake on mark II unleashed.

I was thinking something like this, why couldn't they use the same colour for the original MK II on this figure?

I bought it just so I can count up to 6 without skipping 5. I'm hoping once in hand and on display with the rest the decision of buying it would be easier on me.

You shouldn't buy it just to buy it, i'm much more happy with mine when posed with my other Iron Man figures than alone.

I think what just bummed me out from the beginning was that this is the only IM figure without any Stark face and the price didn't seem to match the accessories. Like I said, once I have it in hand I intend to examine it and really look in the details of the figure and see why HT think it's one of their most complicated pieces.

When Mark 1 came out I wasn't too impressed with it, now having the figure first hand, it's easily my favorite piece.

I jsut got my Mark V. Overall is good.

I found my mark v's right arm, upper part, at the back, it is more dark color, not gloss red like other parts. I wonder if mine only got this issue.

Oh my! :horror Fading issues already? :thud: Yeah, I saw some pics of that in FB. Are you the one who posted it on OSR? :cuckoo

You guys are not alone. I just got my figure and this has to be the most disappointing IM. The paint work is just crap. The gloss is inconsistent all over and not only the figure looks so plasticky as compared to the rest of the IM series, the paint on the arm shoulder armor & parts of hands have already faded. What a waste of money.

Let me do my best to reassure people still awaiting this glorious figure.

I absolutely love it, it's my absolute favourite Iron Man. Better than the Mark VI, which looks good but can hardly be posed at all. The worst problem was being unable to bend the wrists to do a repulsor pose.

Hot Toys have finally gotten it right after experimenting with soft plastic wristguards on the Mark III (that warp), and the rock solid Mark IV/VI guards that don’t allow any movement at all. On the Mark V, they are hard plastic, but hinged, meaning that they can be bent back to allow wrist movement. They can even be removed safely and easily if you’re wanting to do a really full on repulsor blast pose (you wouldn’t be seeing the guard with the wrist at nearly 90 degrees anyway)

The posability is brilliant, with arms and legs being able to move much more than on the bulkier Mark IV/VI suits. You can actually have the arms hanging down properly, for a start! And it actually has TWO points of articulation on the torso, with the top one being able to move from side to side as well.

It looks like this from the side:
Chest
/
|
\
Groin

There are so many lovely things about the construction too, such as the interlocking plates on the kneecaps that slide about when you move the leg and the pectoral plates that are actually made of 3 pieces that can slide over one another so that the arm can come up unobstructed.

The figure is a wonderful blend of colour, that glorious deep red with silver bits here and there. Yes, it’s not chrome, but then it wasn’t really in the movie anyway. I don’t think the paint looks at all ‘cheap’ and toyish. It certainly could have been ‘better’ but that doesn’t mean it looks ‘bad’. On my shelf it looks practically spot on. The only thing that showed clear reflection in the film was the faceplate, and with the slightly deeper lines, this may be the figure’s weakest spot (but is by no means poor and has a good frown to it).

The figure can look a little thin at the odd angle, but then it is thinner than the other Marks and should not be much thicker than an actual person if you think about how it’s put on. You’ll end up finding a position that looks good to you, but it looks fine far more than it looks thin.

So don’t be too despaired about other posters opinions, although it does look like there are some QC issues which they warned us about on that Facebook post. Hope yours turn out good!

i love this figure.

people who hate it should really sell this now.

hot toys will re-do this after 2 years. like the mark 1.

it will be better. shinier. with more accessories. and a very impressive tony stark figure in a race suit.

or i could be wrong.

and people will try and get it for more than $400 on ebay because they have marks 1 to 10, but no 5. and marks 3 to 10 seem to look quite the same on the shelf. red, gold and touches of silver.

in which hot toys will start announcing a re release to answer demand and to counter counterfeits.

like the mark 1. you know the drill...

and i will buy it again,

coz i love this figure.

Let me do my best to reassure people ..... etc
I have one on flexi at SSC, & a fully paid one expected to arrive around Dec (I was concerned about not getting the first one I paid for, so I put one on flexi at SSC). This is more along the lines of what I want to hear, since I'm expecting 2 :hi5:

People on here have got me nervous. I hope my reaction to this figure will be how it was with Thor. People were killing it and it has turned into one of my favorites on my shelf. I have been waiting on this V forever! I hope mine isn't as bad as some of what I read so far.

Shame on HT if they knew about these issues and shipped anyway thinking a "guys please don't _____" FB statement was sufficient.

hot toys will re-do this after 2 years. like the mark 1.

Actually, it's more like more than three years. The original Mark I was officially announced around September of 2008. It's currently October of 2011 and it hasn't be officially announced with product photos yet.

Three years ain't an insignificant period of time. If I'm replacing a $2k+ computer every three years I can't get to upset about the minor possibility of a "better" version of a toy I have coming out in three+ years.

That's just me though. I don't take re-releases personally like people on here seem to. I don't understand it at all and never will. I think maybe it's just that people need to stop treating toys as investments and then you won't be so upset when the Hot Toys figure you have drops in "value" on eBay by 75% because HT has announced a new updated version of that figure.

Don't know why is the re-issue & 'value' brought up in this thread. Most are complaining about the QC paint issue & fading paint crap from a brand new figure rather then wanting a 'better' version of the MKV.

Don't know why is the re-issue & 'value' brought up in this thread. Most are complaining about the QC paint issue & fading paint crap from a brand new figure rather then wanting a 'better' version of the MKV.
  1. It's become a new strategy for the Iron Man line
  2. They messed up on the grey instead of silver paint, they'll "correct" that on the next go, which is a big FU to existing customers.

I'm pleased with my MK V now that i have it posed with the other Iron Man figures, the grey is annoying as all they had to do was copy the original mark II, but it doesn't kill the figure for me, just makes it less as good.

I have no idea why anyone thought the silver parts on the Mark V would look any different from the silver parts on War Machine and the Mark VI. No one ever said it would as far as I know and the prototype pictures never looked any different.

So don’t be too despaired about other posters opinions, although it does look like there are some QC issues which they warned us about on that Facebook post. Hope yours turn out good!

Long post coming. Hope it gets read. Here goes:

I agree with alot of what you've said here, and I've been wanting to do a little write-up as well, since I don't want people passing on this figure, as it is truly wonderful overall. But there are a few things to be aware of, as I've spent the last week or so playing with the Mark V quite a bit. Any comparisons are made against the Marks IV and VI.

Negatives first:

-The poseabililty. I disagree with Nofixio here. Though the figure is able to achieve the 'Hero' pose much more realistically, due to the less-bulky nature of the figure, overall flexibility is lesser than with the other figures. However, as I've said before, the figure is unable to stand (on its own) with legs spread in wide stances, since the ankle joints have very little articulation. I'd like to stress that I am talking about complex posing, not your average stances. I enjoy pushing these figures to the limit, and in my opinion, and based on my experience, this figure is not as poseable as I thought/hoped it would be. The elbows are not double-jointed, which would have been very welcome, as would the extra twist missing from the upper thigh. I would be very happy to be proven wrong, though, so post up your pics!

-The paint. I am torn on this. On the one hand, I've found the paint coverage to be poor. When the knees are bent, there is clearly red plastic showing through the silver. This is not because of paint being rubbed off, but because paint was not applied evenly. As for the gray/silver color of the metal, it would have been nice to have the brushed aluminum look of the film. I don't understand why Hot Toys didn't do this, but for those that have said that the color is a dealbreaker, trust me, it's not. It's fine.

-The price. We don't get very much extra, mostly meaning the hands and a head sculpt. The figure is not barebones by any means, but considering the price hike, I was hoping for more accessories.

-The helmet. This isn't truly a negative, but like Nofixio said, my biggest gripe of the figure is the lines cut into the facemask. I really wish they would've been thinner. Much thinner.

Okay, now the positives!

The paint. Yes, I was critical of this in the negatives section, but it's also a strength! The red is gorgeous, and the level of detail is very, very high. And I want everyone to know THERE IS NO FADE. There are a few light sprays of black on certain parts of the figure to simulate light carbon-scoring and battle damage, in the exact same way that the Mark VI thighs and upper arms had. Perhaps the shorts will fade over time, but there is no fading whatsoever on the parts mentioned in the last few posts.

-The articulation. Not the same thing as the poseability. The chest armor design, with the sliding pectoral plates that Nofixio mentioned, are very welcome, and a very creative way to get a bit more arm articulation. Also, the ball joint articulation that connects the head to the neck has been improved so that the neck has a much greater range of movement. The drawback is that more light peeks out from that area when the lights are on, but overall this is another welcome difference from the earlier Marks. There is a thin sheath of rubber covering the joint that connects the upper arm to the lower arm. This is neat! And eliminates the visibilty of the actual mechanics of the arm at the elbow joint.

-The battle damage. I usually only put the battle-damaged pieces on to see what they look like, and they aren't a big draw for me. But in this case, I love them! Easy to swap out (although I thought the battle-damaged parts for the Mark VI were easy to swap out, as well), and the chest armor has a new attachment method. Instead of just pushing into place, the chest piece has two little hooks that snap into the sides of the figure, making it impossible to pop off while posing, unlike the Marks IV and VI. More innovation from Hot Toys!

-The Overall. Like Nofixio, this Mark is my absolute favorite design, as well. I've tried to take plenty of photos, so far, to show off that this figure is really well-done and a wonderful addition to my collection. The drawbacks are minimal, but I think that my expectations were a little too high because of how marvelous the Marks IV and VI were. Despite my grumblings about poseability, as far as just a regular stance on a shelf, this figure is just as impressive as any of the other Marks. If you like this movie character, please don't hesitate to buy. There is MUCH more great here than not-so-great. I hope that this writeup is a bit more clear than the other things that I've written, and I want to be sure that no one thinks that I'm bashing this figure in any way.

And lastly, my speil about the wrists:
For me, the wrists are not a problem. As some of you know, I have carved several of the interchangeable hands quite a bit. By now, as I own the Marks IV, V, and VI, I have eleven sets of hands for my figure. So since I have doubles and triples of them all, I took the liberty of hacking the frontside and/or backside of a few of them so that more realistic poses can be achieved. It is a HUGE improvement. Because of this, the full-on repulsor blast pose is no problem for my guys. If you have more than one of the different Marks, then I encourage others to do this, since it really opens up posing options. Unless, of course, you're worried about resale value. I don't blame Hot Toys for not sculpting the hands that way to begin with, since it would make the hands look a bit unnatural when at rest.

Last edited:
Huh… I know I'll sound silly but it never occurred to me that I have multiple sets of the same hands. The only ones I need for all of the figures are the fists or relaxed hands for the armor gallery look, but the splayed hands I can certainly mod.

I have no idea why anyone thought the silver parts on the Mark V would look any different from the silver parts on War Machine and the Mark VI. No one ever said it would as far as I know and the prototype pictures never looked any different.

Compare the silver in the Proto pics to in-hand pics (without incredible lighting shown on) and tell us it's the same.

The GREY is my only gripe with the figure now, i would've like two masks, one closed & one with the segments and SILVER as in the film and preview images and it would've been perfect.

Huh… I know I'll sound silly but it never occurred to me that I have multiple sets of the same hands. The only ones I need for all of the figures are the fists or relaxed hands for the armor gallery look, but the splayed hands I can certainly mod.

I very much encourage it. If you happen to look at virtually all of my pics for any of the figures, the hands are usually quite curled/splayed. A razor blade and a somewhat steady hand are all that's required. Give it a shot! The non-articulated hands are the easiest to do, since they're a very soft plastic. But even the articulated hands are simple, just a bit more work, since they are a harder plastic. No one but you will know that they've been cut up a bit, and your poses will really pop!

Compare the silver in the Proto pics to in-hand pics (without incredible lighting shown on) and tell us it's the same.

The GREY is my only gripe with the figure now, i would've like two masks, one closed & one with the segments and SILVER as in the film and preview images and it would've been perfect.

I understand your complaint, and for the most part I agree with you, but it's really not that bad. Hot Toys has the technology to have made them brushed, but chose not to. No idea why, but I hope that the silver/gray paint isn't the deciding factor for anyone.

Back